FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video velocity envelope... this should work right?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roderick Kersey
Video velocity envelope... this should work right?
on Apr 12, 2017 at 6:01:35 pm

I've been a Vegas user for 10 years or more. I apply envelopes to every project I can think of. BUT,
I just discovered a use for the velocity envelope. It doesn't seem to work.. Oh, I can select Insert/Remove Envelope then select Velocity but no indication of anything occurs on the timeline. No line. Only the opacity line. Yet I see no other postings on this 'issue' soooo.. obviously I'm doing something wrong.

What I'm trying to do is create a count up timer. I'm creating a project to show the history of science over the past 2000 years to demonstrate the acceleration of discovery. The thought was to use absolute frames but slow them maybe 4x. I've tried and failed to apply velocity envelopes on other projects too. The velocity envelope line fails to appear. This has got to be simple.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: Video velocity envelope... this should work right?
on Apr 12, 2017 at 6:49:11 pm

menu View > Video Envelopes > ... or View > Show Envelopes

Return to posts index

Roderick Kersey
on Apr 12, 2017 at 7:28:40 pm

yeah sure...but

with a little investigation I find, yes you can affect velocity of a video. What I can't do is create a velocity envelope to slow or reverse timecode inserted into a blank text field. That's what I am trying to do. There are examples of this on YouTube. I have painstakingly followed three videos step by step. Buy no, you can't do that.

Posted on YouTube too.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Apr 12, 2017 at 9:39:32 pm

Are you trying to create a "countdown" from a certain number to zero?

Or are you trying to countdown below zero and have negative numbers?

Return to posts index

Roderick Kersey
on Apr 12, 2017 at 11:22:31 pm

Actually, I'm trying to count up from 1 to 2017. The intent is to create a video showing how technology and invention have accelerated in the past 160 years or so compared to the previous 1840 years. Thought I could do this quickly. Nope.

After watching several YouTube videos, it seemed likely I could use timecode and the velocity envelope to do this. And the answer is Nope. No, I don't think you can do that. in fact, I followed the instructions to the letter, and several variations and no, I don't think that works. The velocity envelope will work for video. You may be able to stop or even reverse it but not timecode. I've spent a good deal of time trying this with both Vegas versions 12 and 14. I've got to move on.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Apr 13, 2017 at 1:17:44 am

I'm not sure Timecode will count from 1 to 2017 .. but if it did, you can render this to a loseless MXF file and then apply the velocity envelope to that.

Return to posts index

Roderick Kersey
on Apr 13, 2017 at 1:26:59 am

Thank you for your response.

Yes It will if you use absolute frames but then you get a comma after 1,000. it doesn't exactly look like a date. Maybe no one will notice. I rendered absolute frames to a mp4 then stretched to slow it down. Sort of works. disappointed the velocity envelope doesn't work as shown in the three different videos on YouTube. Found some glichiness in VP14 by the way. Now I would like to overlay the numbers on my pictures of Chinese inventions and Greek ships in the first century.

I'll be smarter next time I do something like this.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Apr 13, 2017 at 5:06:48 am

Hi,

you could try Vegasaur's text generator. It works awesome for counter-like things ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve King
on Apr 14, 2017 at 6:37:35 pm

Once you have your intra file that you can stretch as needed, how about a mask to cut off the comma and other numerals you don't want visible?

Steve K
Full time writer/director
Pt. Time Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]