FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mono to stereo

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Stark
Mono to stereo
on Mar 30, 2017 at 8:34:23 pm

I made a BIG rookie mistake while under pressure. Equipment malfunction, incorporate brand new to me equipment, blah, blah, blah.... I ended up recording both channels of my XY pair of mics to dual mono (both left and right channels are the exact same. They're a mix of the two XY mics).

I'm about to dive in to attempting to recover something close to a stereo field as opposed to the center-of-the-forehead laser beam that I currently have. Before I do, how would YOU go about salvaging this atrocity?

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
Re: Mono to stereo
on Mar 30, 2017 at 10:24:58 pm

Pan one toward left and the other toward right... Still going to be the same since it starts as mono anyway...

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 31, 2017 at 8:20:08 am

Hi,
try this first, and then tweak it:
Have your mono audio on 2 tracks (A,B).
Pan A to left 40%, B to right 40%.
Add Reverb effect to A, "wide open hall", dry out 0dB, reverb out -inf, Early out -5,2dB, Early ref style (mode 8 (8ms pan left))
Add Reverb effect to B "Rich hall", dry out 0dB, Reverb out -inf, Early out -6,1 dB, Early ref style (mode 9 (16ms pan right))
And listen. Never going to be real stereo, just a fake...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Ross Stark
on Mar 31, 2017 at 1:43:30 pm

Thanks! I will give that a try.

You're right. It definitely will not be true stereo.

Something I tried and had a bit of success with: I placed the left channel and right channel on different tracks and panned them 100% opposite of each other. I then delayed the right track by about 15ms. This at least gave the illusion of what defines stereo in an XY pattern (time difference in the mics).

Return to posts index

Csaba Batori
on Apr 1, 2017 at 11:40:34 am

Dear Laszló!
I realised you have a Hungarian name. Can we communicate about the Sony Movie Studio 13 programme in Hungarian?

csaba.batori@gmail.com

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Apr 3, 2017 at 7:21:50 am

[Csaba Batori] "Can we communicate about"

Sure.
(Hát persze! ☺ )

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>