Smoothness of MPEG2 in newer formats

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Smoothness of MPEG2 in newer formats
on Mar 28, 2017 at 8:16:03 pm
Last Edited By Scott Francis on Mar 28, 2017 at 8:18:46 pm

Hey All,

So I see this every time I make a DVD. I love the "look" of MPEG2 video. It just looks so much more clear, smooth, nice in comparison to MP4's, MOV's etc. Am I the only one seeing this? I can watch video I shoot in HD, on computers in MP4 formats (AVC in my case) and then watch the DVD version or MPEG2 video clip (after editing and rendering) in a player and it just looks smoother and overall "nicer". What gives, anyone able to explain this or know what can be done to get the same "look" outside of MPEG2?

Thanks in advance....

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Smoothness of MPEG2 in newer formats
on Mar 28, 2017 at 8:54:44 pm

OK I'll bite.

Define "nicer"? Yes you said smoother, but other than that.

Also, how about some MediaInfo to compare the the innards of the two. MP4 and MPEG are only the wrappers. Also, whatching MP4 on my iPad looks stunningly smooth. And yes a prepared MPEG2 on one of my DVDs playered on my SONY Settop box onto my SONY BRAVIA upresser looks almost BU!

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Mar 28, 2017 at 11:45:22 pm

Of course, beware that you may possibly be appreciating the very common TV or dvd player upscaling instead?

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Mar 29, 2017 at 1:54:32 am

There is no upscaling, I am watching it on a computer in it's native 480 resolution.
The original footage is 1080p 59.94 frames, it looks good mind you, there is just SOMETHING that has a certain look about the DVD and MPEG2 footage that seems to be lost when I render to any other format. It looks "real" or something, guess it's just my eyes.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]