FORUMS: list search recent posts

SVP 13 render extremely slow after M$ patches (I think)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Hopper
SVP 13 render extremely slow after M$ patches (I think)
on Mar 24, 2017 at 9:14:11 pm
Last Edited By Steve Hopper on Mar 26, 2017 at 1:55:17 am

Vegas Pro 13 on a new computer - which had been running perfectly until a few days ago - has now become extremely slow.
A one-hour event which would normally take about 2hrs to render now takes over 24hrs!

I had installed the latest M$ updates, which may have been the culprit. However, I've backed out of those updates with a restore point. No difference.

Looking in the Programs and Features there's nothing else that would slow Vegas. BTW, the system itself is running fine - only Vegas is having a problem.
I did not make any changes to Vegas that I recall.

I've ran benchmarking software to confirm the system itself is OK. The O/S and hardware seem to be fine.

The render is extremely slow whether using CPU or GPU.

I connect the HDD to an older computer and the project renders normally (albeit a little slower than the newer computer (at its former fast speed).

Anyone else have problems after the latest (March) patch updates?

Edit: Looks like it's a Windows 8.1 issue. I saw a post over at the Magix forum where the user was having problems w/ VP12 on Windows 8. Switching Vegas compatibility mode to Windows 7 did the trick. Looks to be the same here

Edit 2: Spoke (edited) too soon. The problem is still there. A hour event is taking over 24hrs to render.

Regards, Steve

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
Re: SVP 13 render extremely slow after M$ patches (I think)
on Mar 26, 2017 at 2:08:44 am

Slow renders could be due to a number of reasons.

It would help to know your system specs, and whether you have enabled either hardware or software RAID.

You might want to run up performance monitor and see if your disk i/o is poor. When I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10 via the free upgrade, the M$ drivers for my RAID were running at only 2MB/s i.e. worse than USB 1!

If you are doing a lot of color correction on every single event, that would slow things down.

Lastly, what output/template are you using? We might be able to suggest something or a better template to use.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Steve Hopper
on Mar 26, 2017 at 10:20:07 pm

Hi Nigel, thanks for responding.

The PC in question is an i7-6700 4GHz w/ 32GB RAM and a GTX-970 - No RAID - Win8.1
Output template is MainConcept mp4 720p. Camera captures are 1080p.

Regardless of what effects I might have attached to clips the bottom line is that this
phenomenon came on abruptly - I think - after the last slew of patches. I can render
the same project on an old Dell 8500 in about three hours.
My (once) speedy system now takes about 30hrs!

I did a system restore to a time (~3 weeks) when I'm 99% sure Vegas was rendering
as per normal. Besides the subsequent nasty booting issue which ensued, once the
PC was back online there was no diff in the rendering speed.

I've ran benchmarking s/w on all computers. They all comes in the 'normal' range,
so this leads me to believe it's a Vegas issue.

Actually, I have another computer - Dell 8700 - also with Win 8.1, and also having
bizarre Vegas issues (video intermittently turns to black; vegas crashes).
I'm at the point of reverting both computers to Win7, as my old trusty Dell 8500 with
Win7 has been very reliable. I'm nervous now having one computer to render with.

Still debating whether to do a Vegas reinstall. Guess it's worth a try.

Regards, Steve

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 27, 2017 at 4:18:12 am

I would try disabling GPU acceleration during editing and rendering on the slow computer to see if that improves Vegas' stability and speeds things up during rendering.

Windows 7 was my preferred platform, but when my system died recently, I had no choice but to go to Windows 10 as I was unable to reinstall the O/S with my licence key. I skipped Windows 8. It is a Windows Vista equivalent as far as I can tell, and just as buggy. Have you considered rolling back to Windows 7 then upgrading one of the systems to Windows 10 instead to see if the issue persists?

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 27, 2017 at 5:01:46 am

I think I remember there was a case when an updated nvidia driver caused GPU to stop in Vegas.
So I can imagine the OP was using GPU, than that updated reached him, and pulled GPU off from Vegas.
I don't remember the thread, but downgrading the nvidia driver seemed to solve the problem then.
I would check, if it's possibble to switch GPU on at all? If not, maybe the issue is similar...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 27, 2017 at 7:54:10 am

Found it:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1014095#1014095

Auto-updates push to users always the latest, but the latest is not always the best...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Hopper
on Mar 27, 2017 at 10:42:27 pm

"I would try disabling GPU acceleration during editing"
Yes, I had both disabled in the render page, but also the Properties page. No diff

"Have you considered rolling back to Windows 7"
Both systems were fresh installs - so no rollback

I'm now installing win7 on the Dell, and will try Win10 on the i7-6700 box.
I agree with you re Win-8.1 - the equiv of Vista.

"downgrading the nvidia driver seemed"
Yes, I had downgrade the video driver. BTW, the most recent NVIDIA drivers
caused problems on my trusty Dell 8500 - so rolled that one back a month ago
or so.

I will update the thread after both systems have been reinstalled.

Thanks, Steve

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 28, 2017 at 1:44:13 am

The most recent Nvidia update seems to work nicely in my system now. I only use QT 7.65 as the latest update (7.79 I think) was causing Vegas to crash/hang when trying to import MP4 files or even playback MP3's from the Vegas Explorer.

For the first time since Vegas 10 I am now able to use GPU acceleration during editing! I now get a crash when exiting Vegas, but that is fine as I have already saved everything and my next action was to shut down the system anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]