FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Card / Sony Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stewart Wilson
Video Card / Sony Vegas Pro 13
on Mar 21, 2017 at 9:35:25 am

Been looking into updating my graphics card for sometime now, I have read many posts on SVP supported GPU cards, which most are no longer available or getting hard to find, especially here in Australia. I am not to keen on buying hardware second-hand and prefer to buy new stock.

I have set a spend limit of $400 AUD for the new card. Obviously the cheaper the better.

System config is:
  • MS WIN7 Home Premium 64 Bit
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB

• I have been looking at the following cards:
  • Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 480, 4GB
  • Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 470, 8GB
  • Gigabyte Radeon R9 390X G1 Gaming, 8GB
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 G1 Gaming, 8GB

• Since I have seen the R9 mentioned as GPU supported in many threads, would this particular card be supported?

Which, if any, of these cards would provide me with a good degree of performance increase?
    I am also planning on doing 4K work in the near future, thus another reason why I am looking to upgrade.

From what I understand rendering is a CPU intensive process and is not effected by the GPU, is this correct or will the GPU have some bearing on rendering times and rendered file sizes?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

On another track, long-term I am planning on building a dedicated video production computer with dual CPU's, would I be better going with Intel (i7 or the latest CPU at the time) or AMD CPU?

Cheers;
    Stew.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
    Re: Video Card / Sony Vegas Pro 13
    on Mar 22, 2017 at 6:36:12 pm

You would want to max your "Compute Units" on the device you choose. For instance, the 390X has 44 compute units, while the RX480 only has 33. The 390X is 5900 GFLOPs vs 5100 GFLOPs. The 480 is however the latest chipset with the most contemporary feature set that other apps or future apps may take advantage of.

For Vegas I would rank stats on a GPU in this order:
    • GFLOP Performance
    • Compute Units - for OpenCL performance
    • Onboard Memory
    • The most contemporary display port interfaces -- Determine what your planned monitor will max out at here, and make sure your GPU supports this. Display Port is the better way to interface your monitor, but if you plan on using HDMI, make sure your HDMI version is maxed out.

Dual CPU motherboards would be Xeon CPU class systems only these days. There used to be AMD boards with this capability, but Xeon compute power is far superior and more stable. The AMD x370-1800X might be something to investigate, as well as the x99-5960x/6960X. Good Xeon Chips are very expensive, and the cheaper ones in dual mode are likely not faster than say a 5960 single. Compare GLFOPs on processors, that will offer a general rule of thumb for performance.

With motherboards:

• Look at DMI bridge bandwidth or QPI bandwidth (Xeon) and get the most contemporary versions.
    • Compare motherboard DPC latency, and choose a manufacturer that does well here.
    • Prefer Quad channel DDR4 memory interfacing vs Dual Channel
    • Prefer 32+ PCI lanes off the CPU directly to interface slots, avoid desktop boards that use the chipset to supply more PCIe slots. This will be best for additional GPUs, capture cards, 10gbs NIC, SSD Hard card, or other high bandwidth interface devices.
    • Choose an 80Plus certified power supply that is 50% more than you calculate your needs. Power supplies fade over time as caps get old.
    • choose storage interfaces like NVME, or SAS vs SATA as these are full duplex storage interfaces with more random IO ability.

Return to posts index

Stewart Wilson
    Re: Video Card / Sony Vegas Pro 13
    on Mar 24, 2017 at 9:49:37 am

Aaron;

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. Fair bit to take on board here.
    I appreciate your thoughts on the video cards, as this will be the first improvement I will be making. Would the 390X card improve rendering times?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]