FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas Pro 13 - Needing advice on converting .MOV to MP4

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Graves
Sony Vegas Pro 13 - Needing advice on converting .MOV to MP4
on Mar 20, 2017 at 7:07:19 pm

Thanks for helping me.

I have 4k videos that I shot on my iphone 7 that I am trying to edit in Vegas Pro 13. I'm trying to get all of my videos converted to MP4 simply because Vegas seems to work with this format much better. I'm not concerned with file size of the videos and just want to make sure that the videos are as high quality of possible. I'm using handbrake and want to convert the files to MP4 with no loss in quality.

What is the best way to go about doing this?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
Re: Sony Vegas Pro 13 - Needing advice on converting .MOV to MP4
on Mar 20, 2017 at 11:50:13 pm

I installed ffmpeg and QWinFF(a GUI front end to enable batch processing) to convert all the files in-situ and then replaced the MOV files with their MP4 equivalents on the timeline. All my files were iPhone 6S footage. It may not work with the iPhone 7 4K footage but is worth a try. The program simply re-wraps the MOV file into MP4.

Perhaps QWinFF may be all you need (I assumed it needed ffmpeg to be installed first as QWwinFF just appeared to be a GUI front end for ffmpeg).

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mike Graves
on Mar 22, 2017 at 1:48:11 am

Sorry about the long delay.

I'm having a really difficult time understanding how to use ffmpeg. I downloaded QWinff and can't quite figure out how to use the two together. Still working on it...

In the mean-time, I've been experimenting with Handbrake for some of my 1080p vids. Some of the more significant settings I used are:

-H.264 (x264)
-RF-0 (lossless)
-Encoder Preset: Slow
-Auto Passthru (for audio)

The original .MOV file was 350MB. After converting it to MP4 with the above settings the file size ended up being 846MB. I have no idea why it nearly tripled in size. The quality does seem lossless though.

Can anyone help me understand why the file size tripled?

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 22, 2017 at 11:30:42 am

Sorry, I think I may have confused the issue. I believe QWinFF simply calls ffmpeg. You don't need to know how to use ffmpeg. QWinFF adds a GUI front end. You can try it on its own.

It is a simple 2 step process: You add the files into a queue and the decide how to convert them and then start the conversion. The documentation over complicates the process, unfortunately, so here's my quick version.

Run QWinnFF
1. Click File> Add Files
Select one or more of your MOV files then click Next

2. In the Output settings screen, select MP4 from the Convert to field
Choose the 'Output to source folder' radio button. This means the MOV to MP4 converted file is placed in the same folder.

Click Finish.

This process simply queues your files up until now. If you want to start the actual conversion, you highlight the file(s) and click on Start.

If you want to add more files in a different folder location (I had about 10 folders) you repeat steps 1 and 2 before clicking Start

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Mike Graves
on Mar 22, 2017 at 3:51:32 pm

Thanks for taking the time to help list a simplified explanation of how to use it.

I downloaded ffmpeg and installed it. Then downloaded QWinff and installed that. I opened QWinff and attempted to use it. I added a film and tried to convert it to .MP4 but it immediately finished with an error. There was no indication of what error occurred. I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Also, any thoughts on my results from using handbrake? I successfully converted a .MOV to .MP4 with what appears to be lossless video and audio quality. It the file went from 350MB to 846MB. So confused by this. I'm mostly just concerned with the quality and don't care to reduce file size. but having files more than double in size is something I'd like to avoid if possible.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Mar 22, 2017 at 6:47:31 pm

If you downloaded FFMEG, be sure to add the directory to your path statement. Google this if you do not know what I mean. Alternatively your can add FFMPEG to your windows directory but its harder to keep track of the version.

Then inside the folder with the .MOV files, do a Shift+right click and choose "Open command prompt here"

Then try the following statement.

ffmpeg -i (inputfilename).mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy (outputfilename).mp4

There might be some tweeks to get the audio and video mapped to the MP4 correctly. Also converting to -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 would be a good thing to do at the same time. Use the uncompressed audio format that best fits your systems playback, for example 96khz-24bit if you have uber playback hardware.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 23, 2017 at 11:25:26 am

[Mike Graves] "tried to convert it to .MP4 but it immediately finished with an error"

I was converting iPhone footage, but haven't tried anything else. I did notice visual artefacts on fast movements using ffmpeg, particularly in low light situations where the iPhone was self-adjusting the frame rate to maintain exposure. I was glad to get something better than no video at all or a video preview that was dropping out in Vegas.

I guess if Handbrake does what you want and preserves both audio and video quality, I guess the larger file sizes are a trade-off. There may be a tweak in Handbrake but I am not aware of it. I have used it to convert DVD9 to MP4 but did not pay too much attention to the file sizes I have to admit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]