FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to apply tags to file in Vegas Pro 7

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Zimmermann
How to apply tags to file in Vegas Pro 7
on Mar 13, 2017 at 1:39:18 am

I've scrubbed the help files in VP7. I found a few references to tags so I know tags can be applied, but for the life of me I don't see on my screen what they show in the help file. I am presently working with videos and still pics not audio. Help files mention a tag tree which I can't find and when I search tag tree in help It brings me right back the same help file. It never says how to view the tag tree if, indeed, there even is one. It also mentions an Apply Tag Mode button and it even shows a pic of the Apply Tag Mode icon, but again I can't find that icon anywhere.

The following is the portion of the help file to which I am referring.

You tag media by dragging a tag from the tag tree to a media file in the Search Results pane (or by dragging a media file to a tag) when the Apply Tag Mode button is selected.

Thanks for any and all help on this frustrating difference between help files and reality. I want get out of Oz. I want to go home, I want to go home, I want to go home,

Todd Zimmermann
HP Pavillion Dv4 notebook PC
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS
Core I3 2.210 ghz 4 Gig Ram,

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: How to apply tags to file in Vegas Pro 7
on Mar 13, 2017 at 4:00:39 am
Last Edited By Graham Bernard on Mar 13, 2017 at 4:08:06 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "Help files mention a tag tree which I can't find and when I search tag tree in help It brings me right back the same help file."
Open Project Media Pane and right click on it. What do you get?

I found this on the internet:

searching in vegas pro 7 project media

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 13, 2017 at 4:27:00 am

When I open the project media tab I see a pane of the left with my home made file structure and the right pane displays the contents of what folder is selected in the left pane. When I right click in the left (folders) pane I see create new bin, save as bin, delete, rename and search. When I right click in right (contents) pane I see open in trimmer, add as CD track, select timeline events, edit source project, explore containing folder, remove from current bin, remove from project, remove from project and delete file(s), search media files, rename, replace, recapture, recapture off line media, media effects, red eye reduction, file format properties, properties.

That's it. Nothing about tags.

Todd Zimmermann
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 13, 2017 at 6:50:00 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "When I right click in the left (folders) pane I see create new bin, save as bin, delete, rename and search."
Had you explored that SEARCH option? As you see there, 2nd from top is the TAGS filter.

Report your results.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 13, 2017 at 7:22:10 am

Yes, I have explored the search function in several areas of VP7. Specifically when I try the "search media bins" as I right click in the left pane of the Project Media tab I get a 3 field dialog box. The first field is "Field to search:" the second is "Condition:" and the third is "Phrase to search for:" When I drop down the "Field to search:" field I get a rather large list of fields. The first is all, 2nd name, 3rd comment 4th use 5th type and so on. Nowhere in that drop down list is the word tag listed. The condition field only has two options: contains or does not contain. I tried typing in tag in the "Phrase to search for:" field with "all" selected as the "field to search:" Did I do something wrong?

I really appreciate your help * Grazie

* MajorNaCL

Todd Zimmermann
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:19:39 am

That screen shot looks like the dialog box I see and the drop down list I see is the same as your screen shot except my list does not contain the "tag" or the "markers" items.

?

Thanks Grazie

Todd Zimmermann
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 13, 2017 at 9:39:20 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "That screen shot looks like the dialog box I see ..... except my list does not contain the "tag" or the "markers" items."
OK, then open the "Detail View" and right click on one of the columnar titles. Try and confirm that "Tags" are part of the view. Hopefully it isn't Checked, in which case select it and see if that is now revealed. If you don't see that as an option AND when you select it, it still won't reveal in the Search option, then I can't assist further.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 14, 2017 at 5:03:26 am

Thanks, Grazie. I guess l can live without tags. I don't use them in other programs anyway. I just thought this would be good time to give them a shot. That being said, my naming convention for file names and file structures has served me well for many years. I can always find what i need to find very quickly.

I am, however, very interested in your idea for smart bins using searches with Boolean logic strings. If you wouldn't mind could you send me an example search string for me to know the syntax that will work with VP? Also where would I enter that string. I'm thinking I would enter it in the "phrase to search for:" box which would then be saved as part of the search which I then save as folder in my bin structure. I;ll use bin name "jumping" for my idea that I will tell you about to see if you think it will work. "jumping" to me denotes pics of my band playing live and the shots that belong in that bin are me and my bass player jumping during a song. All those pics have the word "jump" in file name and It would be nice if that if that were updated automatically every time a new file was uploaded or a name was changed. But if I had to refresh that bin or re-run the search each time I need to look in that folder I can live with that. Here's my thinking. As long as I put all my files in All Media first, then copies or pointers or just the search itself of pics or vids with the string "jump" will be distributed to the appropriate bin, each time time I opened a specific bin e.g. "jumping" and reran that search that would work for me. I'm thinking i could have the search string test each file for the date it was input into that bin. Then any files in All Media that contained the word "jump" in their file name AND whose upload date was newer than the last file uploaded to the bin, "jumping" then a copy of those files would be loaded into the bin, "jumping." Do you think that would work? I'm not asking you write that string for me. That would take the fun and learning out it. I just asking if you can provide the exact string you were thinking of when you suggested the idea to me. Then I can study the syntax and extrapolate based on correct syntax and add my own operators and conditions and make it do what I want it to do.

If you don't have the time do this for me I completely understand. I appreciate your time thus far. And no matter what I won't impose on your time further.

Thanks for everything,

Todd Zimmermann
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 14, 2017 at 8:32:24 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "I guess l can live without tags. I don't use them in other programs anyway."
Did you NOT find them in VP7 under Project Media > View > Tags ?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 14, 2017 at 9:17:18 am

No I didn't find them under project media -> view. My list of check boxes was exactly the same as the list in my version of VP7 and the screen shot you sent me under the "Fields to search:" drop down list in the search dialog box except my version does not contain the "tags" or the "markers" items.

Todd Zimmermann
Win Pro 7 SP1, 64 bit OS

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
on Mar 14, 2017 at 3:50:25 pm

"Tags" works for me. In the Media Bin, I right click a clip I want to tag go to "Properties" and fill in the "tape name" with the tag word I want to relate. You can have multiple tag words by adding a comma after each word. Then click "okay." Then, you can go up to "All Media" and do your search of the tag word/clip you're looking for.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]