FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas pro 7 does it have Smart bins.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Zimmermann
Vegas pro 7 does it have Smart bins.
on Mar 12, 2017 at 4:24:14 am

I use Vegas Pro 7 and I am currently going through Andrew Devis' tutorials. He is using Vegas pro 12 but so far I have been able to match his v12 to my v7 no problem. But I am now looking at tutorials 4 - 6 about bins and smartbins and I am no longer seeing in my v7 what he is showing in the tutorial using v12. I don't see the default bin structure he is showing of All Media, Media bins, By type + Audio, Video, Stills, then tags and smart bins. When I view my Project Media in my personal Vegas Pro 7 tab all I see is All Media and Media bins. Can anyone tell me what's going on? Did those features not exist in v7? That seems strange because I have watched over 30 of his tutorials where he is using v12 and can see pretty much everything else in my v7.

Thanks,
Todd

Todd Z

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Vegas pro 7 does it have Smart bins.
on Mar 12, 2017 at 4:56:05 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "That seems strange because I have watched over 30 of his tutorials where he is using v12 and can see pretty much everything else in my v7.

"
Really Todd? Why would a Company make Upgrades if it didn't add additional features? To me it would be strange if it didn't. Having said that, does the HELP file for VP7 discuss Smart Bins?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 12, 2017 at 5:12:08 am

Thanks for the response *Grazie,

No v7 help does not discuss smart bins at all. And I guess what seemed strange to me is that everything else I see in AD's tutorials from v12 I also see in v7 except the smart bins and default bins shown in v12. Of course I know products add new features with each upgrades. My question is does anyone know definitively that v7 does not have smart bins and therefore I should quit wasting my time looking for them. It just looks like such a cool feature I really wanted it my v7. Wishful thinking I suppose. Perhaps if I wish hard enough it will magically appear. What do you think? :)

Todd Z

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 12, 2017 at 5:26:53 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "Perhaps if I wish hard enough it will magically appear. What do you think? :)"
Indubitably.

BTW, and yes it is a cool feature, you can do Boolean-type wildcard Searches in VP7 and have those searches retained as a Bin. This isn't automatic for file types as per SBs, but it will give you a whole heap of extra filter variables that can be "saved as" New bins. Try it you, might like it.

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 12, 2017 at 5:55:17 am

So do I see you typing smart bins do not exist VP7? I will try your method of searches, who know? I might like it. But one way or another I am determined to start my use my reuse of VP7 with strict organization. I am very familiar file structures, organization that makes sense to me, and giving files useful and meaningful names. I could make it all al work perfectly well just working from my hard drive. But I am determined to make it work inside VP7 as I know v7 is perfectly capable of doing stuff maybe even better. I've used Vegas audio products since they were Sonic Foundry products. I did a lot of recording of my band both live and in studio starting SF. I had an 8 channel sound card so I could plug in up 8 instuments or mics at one time. Then I could do that again and again with virtually unlimited tracks with Vegas. I had a brain injury 6 years ago and I can no longer plat likr I used to. But my mind is still sharp and creative and it just dawned on me, "why not put videos to my recorded songs and put them up on YouTube. So I am back in the music biz from and another perspective and it feels great. I'm working with same songs I wrote and recorded but through video this time. Its wonderful. I have so many ideas zooming around in my head.

Todd Z

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 12, 2017 at 6:01:51 am

[Todd Zimmermann] "So I am back in the music biz from and another perspective and it feels great. I'm working with same songs I wrote and recorded but through video this time. Its wonderful. I have so many ideas zooming around in my head."
Todd, that's great! Often I read posts here where it remains in the "how-to", and not in the area of expression and outcome.

More power to your creative urges.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Todd Zimmermann
on Mar 12, 2017 at 10:29:19 pm

I have started a basic file structure inside the Project Media tab and its going smoothly due to my file naming convention of meaningful file names and file structures I started back in DOS 3.2 . But now I want to tag them and I want would mind an example or two of those smart Boolean searches that * Grazie mentioned. I am very good at taking an example football and running with it and making it fit my needs. I do that in all walks of life.

VP7 does talk about tags and how to use them but the help files in VP7 are basically useless as they don't connect the dots, for me anyway, at all. The help file in VP7 only serve to tell me that the function exists in VP whatever, but doesn't give meaningful 'how to" info at all. The dots just don't connect. That is why I like Andrew Devis' teaching style. He tells you what function he wants to show you. He shows you with video shots of which buttons or keyboard shortcuts he is using. Then he shows you the results. At that point I pause the tutorial. Go my own VP7 prog, duplicate what I just saw. Badah bing badah boom. Done deal. I got it and I'm off to the next step.

So, 1) can anyone tell me step by step how apply tags to files in VP7? And, 2) * Grazie would you or anyone be willing to share an example or two of boolean driven "smart" searches. I am very aware Boolean logic and how to use it in PC programs. It's just that the syntax seems to be slightly different for each program. Right now I need the syntax for searches in VP7 and how to turn those searches into automatically updating bins. Or if those searches wont update automatically I can always refresh or rerun the search as necessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone mat be able to provide.

Todd

Todd Z

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]