FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for cheap GPU to accelerate rendering

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Goody
Looking for cheap GPU to accelerate rendering
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:07:03 pm

I used to have gtx760 that was supported CUDA wise by Sony Vegas but my current gtx970 does not work and as far as I know, it won't get support.

I'm looking for good budget GPU to help with rendering time. I think gtx750ti would work nicely but I have also seen people recommend AMD GPUs and OpenCL for Sony Vegas. So, what you think is the best budget GPU? It will be purely for rendering, not gaming or anything.

Return to posts index

Bruce Brent
Re: Looking for cheap GPU to accelerate rendering
on Mar 11, 2017 at 1:58:49 am

Johnny, "Budget" means "you get what you pay for."

The above said.....Just this afternoon, I replaced my old (ATI Radeon 4850) GPU which became toast. I installed a GTX 750Ti. Albeit, a 2GB card, but it DOES provide CUDA's for Vegas Pro. Newegg sells this card for $104.99. Can't beat that based on your requirements.

Return to posts index

Johnny Goody
on Mar 11, 2017 at 7:40:13 pm

I could get used gtx660 or gtx660ti around 60€. Is there any big changes between architectures/support? Also what about AMD and OpenCL? Some tests I have seen have shown faster rendering times for AMD GPUs

Return to posts index

Johnny Goody
on Mar 11, 2017 at 7:44:21 pm

(I'm not sure if I can edit messages)

By "budget" I mean a GPU that doesn't have to anything ever but prove significant increase(/decrease?) in rendering time

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 11, 2017 at 10:41:30 pm

Hi,

I bought a Radeon 6970 for an even lower price (approx $30) last summer. This is something considered as "useless" for gamers, they tend to drop it, and sell for a very cheap price. Vegas 14 benefits a lot from this card, to my experience. I did not regret - get smooth fullHD preview, slightly faster than realtime AVC renders on most of my fullHD 25fps projects, using a not-so-fast CPU (i5-3570) ...
For a simple HD (fullHD) workflow I can recommend it.
So if you are on a tight budget, I doubt you will get anything more powerful for the price than the 6970...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Mar 12, 2017 at 11:47:51 am

"I could get used gtx660 or gtx660ti around 60€. Is there any big changes between architectures/support?"

For MainConcept AVC CUDA support you need a Fermi Architecture card like Geforce GTX 5xx !
The Kepler Architecture Geforce GTX 6xx card don't work very well.

Here's a test I made in Sony Vegas Pro 12 (Build 563) 64bit - Have used 9 pcs. MP4 H.264 (.mts) 24Mbits recordings - total length 1:00 min.

MainConcept AVC template only cpu rendering:

GTX 660 : 01:55
GTX 580 : 01:48

MainConcept AVC template CUDA rendering:

GTX 660 : 01:49
GTX 580 : 00:29

The GeForce GTX 560Ti - is a good old card for Vegas Pro !

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 13, 2017 at 8:47:22 am

I did a quick test too.
Took a footage (28Mbps 50p AVC from my HM600), dropped to timeline, trimmed down to exactly 1 minute, otherwise completely untouched, and rendered as my usual FullHD 15Mbps 25p (Mainconcept) AVC youtube template.
Then to make it some more realistic, added some edit: did a simple color adjust (Color curves), duplicated the track, added gaussian blur to below track (Vegas gaussian blur 0,330 in both direction), resized the above track, added drop shadow (default values) and a thin white glow with zero blur, so that it forms a border. This is the "edited".
First I rendered the original, then the edited project. Then switched off GPU in Vegas, and copied my render template, just set the render "using cpu only". So I had all GPU support off.
Here are the resulting render times of that 1 minute :
GPU CPU only (no GPU at all)
original: 0:34 2:49
Edited: 0:42 9:11

That clearly shows how much openCL helps... ☺

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Mar 11, 2017 at 11:31:30 pm

With Vegas' patchy history for CUDA support and general instability during editing/rendering since v11, I have disabled GPU support and recently bought the fastest CPU I could afford (6th Gen i7 3.4GhZ) and my previews are buttery smooth. Albeit my system did recently die after 7 years of heavy use, forcing the upgrade. I next intend to replace my mirrored drives with 2 SSD's (currently only my boot drive is SSD) once the 2TB price point drops to under $500.

I know that there are Vegas users who have no issues with CUDA acceleration, but I have yet to find that holy grail on my system and multicam workflow any any version of Vegas or Windows 7/10 combination, even on a freshly built system. Maybe there is a problem with the GTX570 drivers, but I find that a faster CPU is of more direct benefit than a fast GPU.

My system specs: Intel i7 7700k 4.20 GHz, GTX570, 16GB RAM, Gigabye Z170 HD3, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 10 x64 Pro, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]