FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to convert ntsc dvd into pal dvd either with svp13Pro or a suggested paid software?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amanda Duffield
How to convert ntsc dvd into pal dvd either with svp13Pro or a suggested paid software?
on Mar 8, 2017 at 2:08:19 pm

I have 9 x NTSC 1.5 hour DVD's .
I want to render each into one main movie (no menu). I don't mind which format, mp4 is fine or PAL. Nothing NTSC.
Usually, I just drop the vts 01 0 ifo file into the Vegas 13 Pro timeline. However, this makes my machine crash every time. It also makes Handbrake hang.
Can anyone suggest a different way I can do this, either with Vegas 13, or a paid program to convert the ntsc to pal? I'll buy a conversion program if needed but there's so many out there, am looking for advice. Something for a windows pc in australia.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: How to convert ntsc dvd into pal dvd either with svp13Pro or a suggested paid software?
on Mar 8, 2017 at 11:55:33 pm

Hi Amanda

Please read go to this COW thread. You may find your answer there.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1129753

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: How to convert ntsc dvd into pal dvd either with svp13Pro or a suggested paid software?
on Mar 9, 2017 at 10:53:47 am

Hi Amanda,

Recently I had to create a localised version of a U.S. made DVD.
I used a free program, called "pgcdemux" to extract the content from the original DVD. (Because I needed tha audio and video streams separately - I planned to reauthor the DVD in DVD Architect)
You may try it, excellent tool.
Is it really a must to convert? -Different resolution, different framerate - I would not do it if it's possible to avoid.
Here in Europe PAL is used most widely, not NTSC, just like in Australia.
However, most -if not every- of the players are capable to play both PAL and NTSC DVD's.
Isn't that true for Australia too?
Players made for the U.S. market aren't that clever, those play only NTSC. ☺

So if there's an option, I would not convert. Your problem is possibly either the disc is copyrighted (encrypted, etc.), and you need to remove the protection if that's the case.
Or it's just mastered with a *mac software, that caused me some problems too 😉

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Mar 22, 2017 at 10:47:11 am

Thanks.
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, maybe 'convert' is the wrong word.
I have a 1.5 hour NTSC DVD (well, 9 of them).
They do have copy-protection however I have permission from the copyright owner to copy for the purposes of captioning.

I have done the captions, using a less-than-ideal looking mp4 that I managed to make, howeever whenever the presenter moves from side to side, it looks weird,almost makes you dizzy. the mp4 comes from handbrake.

I've made the capitons in dvd architect pro. I thought, by the time I'd finished captioning, I would have figured out how to get the DVD into a viewable form. The reason I'm copying/converting it is because I was going to re-burn the title with the captions .

I'm happy to give the original DVD back to the owner (a teacher) along with 'sidecar' captions, however I've never done 'side-car' as such before. I don't understand how the 'caption' file (if exported as a separate entity) knows where all the chapters are. So if they're sidecar and the teacher fast forwards to another chapter, do the subs move to the right spot?

If the answer is 'only if you fully remake the dvd in architect, complete with chapters, and then caption each chapter', then I'm still 'copying for the purposes of captioning'. I haven't avoided the 'copy' process as far as I can tell.

But happy to be proved wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 22, 2017 at 7:23:49 pm

Ok, here's how I did.
My goal was to produce a DVD, which holds the same content but with localised (translated) menus. The requirement was also to add subtitles (not sure if you mean the same with captions?)

So I extracted the main title with pgcdemux, this resulted in streams DVDA could use directly.
I also rendered a low resolution wmv with the same framerate, just to use in subtitleedit.
This is a freeware, but excellent tool. It's.easy to merge or split lines, adjust timings properly...
It can save subtitles also in the format DVDA requires.
Made the subtitles, than just added a subtitle track in dvda, imported the subtitles.
Mainly done, just reauthored menu, and made subtitles on by default, so there's no need to look for the "sub" button on the players remote.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]