FORUMS: list search recent posts

Codec/format for smoth editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Ribeiro
Codec/format for smoth editing
on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:13:42 pm

I have a 3k footage shot with Filmic Pro app for iPhone in .mov format. Vegas open it, but I can't edit because the preview is freezing all the time. The original footage is 3264x1836 and 50mbps. It's for youtube, so the final render will be 1080p and propably less than 20mbps.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Codec/format for smoth editing
on Mar 7, 2017 at 9:13:51 pm

Youtube supports up to 8k these days.

Your smoothest HD codecs to edit in Vegas will be HDCAM-SR-Lite, XDCAM422.MXF, XDCAM-EX.MXF, or Cineform.avi. XDCAM is a highly optimized workflow in VEGAS utilizing the GPU well for both rendering and Timeline playback.

If you edit or render out in XDCAM format, you can render to xdcam and directly upload the file to youtube.

This all assumes your system is powerful enough to handle smooth HD playback in the first place.

You could also try converting your 3K to cineform.avi and see if the playback is good enough. Make to use the Preview half or draft half settings on the preview for editing, and Best Full only to see effect results or CC. That will help with playback issues the most.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Ribeiro
on Mar 8, 2017 at 8:54:55 pm

What's the best software to convert the files?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Mar 9, 2017 at 10:57:33 am

What if you just create proxies?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Mar 9, 2017 at 1:45:04 pm

I find Acrovid FootageStudio is a good converter at a reasonable price (demo version available). And CineForm VC-5 is another recommendable intermediate format (besides XDCAM HD).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]