FORUMS: list search recent posts

Duplicating effect on the same clip

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Fox
Duplicating effect on the same clip
on Mar 7, 2017 at 1:07:58 am
Last Edited By Chris Fox on Mar 7, 2017 at 1:15:39 am

I would like to duplicate an effect in the plugin chain on a clip. I want the same effect, with all the keyframes and settings, to be duplicated as well. While I can simply duplicate the clip then copy and paste event attributes on that new clip, I want to minimize project clutter.

So I would like
pan/crop --> Effect 1 --> copy of Effect 1

Is there a way to do this?

I am using Vegas Pro 13.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Duplicating effect on the same clip
on Mar 7, 2017 at 5:41:14 am

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say " I want to minimize project clutter.avoiding project clutter" .

You don't need to duplicate an event to copy it's attributes, just copy the event (Ctrl-c) and paste the attributes into your new event.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:11:42 am

Yeah, well Paul, I read the post as meaning that out of, say 10 Fx Links in a chain, the OP wishes to copy/duplicate JUST, for example, Link 5.

What I'd like to know is the outcome hoped for?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Chris Fox
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:19:56 pm

Graham has it right. I want to duplicate a single FX in the chain onto the same clip.

The idea is that I want to apply the same fx with all the same settings and keyframes. I don't want to have to manually set these for each duplicate effect. I can then tweak the settings from my newly established base settings.

Don't worry about why I want to do it. Is it even possible?

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:58:43 pm

I'm not aware of a simple way to do this.

What you can do is, if you have adjusted your FX, just save as preset, then apply the FX as often as needed and recall the preset in each FX of the chain. Or use a script to apply a certain FX with a certain preset directly (and repeat recalling the script).

Return to posts index

Marco Baer
on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:00:34 pm

Arrghh, isn't there really any way to edit a comment after having posted it?

Return to posts index

Lex Ger
on Mar 7, 2017 at 10:13:10 pm

Yes, its possible using vegas pro extension like Blacktools by Matt Carlson, >> https://f1.creativecow.net/8089/8089

It is similar to clipboard manager, you can copy the event's attributes and paste it to the event as OVERWRITE FX or ADD FX without copying the PAN/CROP keyframes.

Using it in Vegas pro 12, but i thnk I run it in vegas pro 13, just disable first some script or extension if you have many (script limitation of vegas pro)

It has also a macro, you can use it if you have a repetitive task

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 8, 2017 at 12:03:11 am

Ok if what you want is to copy one of the FX in a chain back to the same event:

Create the FX you want to copy. THis will place itself at the end of the chain. Looking like this:
Pan/crop > Effect 1

Save this as a preset called Effect1.

Now, add another FX to the chain. Anything will do. Lets say Color Curves So we now have.
Pan/crop > Effect 1 > ColorCurves

Now add Effect 1 again, this time using the preset so that it is exactly like the first Effect1 in the chain. Now you have
Pan/crop >Effect 1 >ColorCurves >Effect 1

Now select Color curves and do "remove selected plug-in" You chain now looks like this.
Pan/crop >Effect 1 >Effect 1

When saving the preset, If you have multiple FX in the chain, ( like Pan/crop >Effect1 >Effect2 >Effect 3) just uncheck everything except the one you want to save.

Not elegant -- but this should do what you want -- If I understand you.

Return to posts index

Chris Fox
on Mar 10, 2017 at 4:51:30 am

I tried saving as a preset then going to filter packages in the plugin manager, selecting my preset, and clicking add; however, the plugin chain goes back to the chain at the time the preset was created. It doesn't add onto the existing chain.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 10, 2017 at 5:14:41 am

It seems to work for me. Maybe I'm not understanding you .. or maybe you skipped something in the directions.

The key thing is that the last FX in the chain must be something different from the one you want to apply again. So you may need a "place holder" as the last FX.

pan/crop --> Effect 1 (create preset) --> Place holder effect > copy of Effect 1 (using preset)

But once you apply the FX you want applied to the same event again, then you can delete the "place holder" .. this will give you what you want I think ..

pan/crop --> Effect 1 --> copy of Effect 1

Return to posts index

Chris Fox
on Mar 10, 2017 at 8:10:07 pm

You perfectly understand what I am trying to do, but your method doesn't add the effect to the chain. It just resets it.

This is what happens:

pan/crop->Effect 1

Save as preset EF1

Add another Effect

pan/crop->Effect 1->Effect 2

Load preset by going to filter packages, selecting EF1, then clicking add

Chain then resets to:

pan/crop->Effect 1

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 10, 2017 at 11:28:14 pm

I think I see where you are going wrong. You're confusing saving a "preset" with doing a "save as" to a Plugin Package. These are two different things. A preset is for customizing one FX. The Plugin Package will save an entire chain of effects.

Sorry for the long series of pictures folks .. but this will explain what I'm doing ... I hope.

Return to posts index

Chris Fox
on Mar 13, 2017 at 10:52:03 pm

I really appreciate your effort. I did what you said, but it did not work for my Vegas. Maybe it's broken. I called it quits and manually duplicated settings eight times over.

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Mar 14, 2017 at 2:06:09 am

Hey Paul

Just a shout out to you. After reading your procedure, it made me think outside the box for a quirky effect I was trying to figure out, not even remotely related to your post but it did turn on the proverbial light bulb on in my brain.

Thanks a gazillion !

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Mar 14, 2017 at 3:12:48 am

You are welcome Francois. Good to hear some good came of it.

Return to posts index

Lex Ger
on Mar 14, 2017 at 3:13:18 pm

Nice step by step explanation Paul.

Hey Chris, take a look at this.

I uploaded it in Google Drive, demo video of duplicating Event FX by using Blacktools Extension and Vegas pro 13

https://goo.gl/3bI532

I hope Matt update this tools to make it compatible to Magix Vegas pro 14

Return to posts index

Chris Fox
on Mar 18, 2017 at 3:20:09 am

Thank you for the info.

Are there any other tools like this? I'd like something where I can see an undo history. Just being able to see what I did three actions ago can really help.

Is there a run-down of the features of this tool? I'd like to know what I get before I install it. I don't write scripts so I'd like to see some examples of how the tool is used.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]