FORUMS: list search recent posts

Export to Avid MXF?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean McNally
Export to Avid MXF?
on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:14:45 am

Hey there,

I'm a Vegas user that has to run my files through a specific codec in Avid in order to broadcast my material.

My workflow is currently:
1) Export MainConcept AVC/AAC in Vegas
2) Import into Avid, letting it transcode into Avid's native MXF format
3) Export from Avid

I've been considering the possibility that Sony Vegas might be able to encode directly to Avid's MXF format, thus combining steps 1 & 2, saving me time and probably improving video quality. From my understanding, Sony Vegas natively offers four different MXF formats:

- Panasonic P2 MXF
- Sony MXF
- Sony MXF HDCAM SR
- Sony XAVC/ XAVC S

Which of this, if any, would be able to import directly to Avid without the need to transcode? Do I need a proprietary encoder, and does Avid even offer such a thing that will work in Vegas? Let me know. By the way...yes I am aware I can simply AMA Link to in Avid, but I want to know if this is possible!

Thanks,
Sean

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Export to Avid MXF?
on Mar 5, 2017 at 6:31:19 pm

Vegas does not support Avid.MXF which has always seemed nutty to me as a "Pro" product.

I would try to export to DNxHD/HR in .mov container. Then use FFMPEG to -vcodec copy and -acodec copy the media to a new .MXF format. You may need some extra instructions as to mapping the audio channels from mov to mxf. Then verify playback in AVID. This would keep you from re-encoding the video another generation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]