FORUMS: list search recent posts

High Keyframe Interval lagging Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Wiatrak
High Keyframe Interval lagging Vegas?
on Feb 25, 2017 at 1:46:51 am
Last Edited By Jesse Wiatrak on Feb 25, 2017 at 1:48:07 am

Ok, so I'm using Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 and I record gameplay using OBS. When I record there is an option called Keyframe Interval and if I set it to a lower value (like 2) then when I open the .mp4 in Vegas it works fine, no lag or anything. However while it is at a lower value the video is shit. It feels choppy, like it's missing frames and at some points it almost feels like stop motion. The point is- it doesn't feel smooth. HOWEVER, if I set the Keyframe value to 10, then the video looks perfect. The only drawback is that when I put the file into Vegas, Vegas freaks out. When I hit the spacebar to play the preview there's like a 2-4 second delay until the video actually starts playing (no matter the preview setting. It almost feels like the program's trying to load something. The lowest setting makes that delay maybe 0.02 seconds less). And when it starts playing it's fine (even though my CPU fan is going crazy) but the same delay happens if I try to click on another point in the timeline and go to a different part of the video. It's really annoying and makes editing videos frustrating. Can anyone propose a solution? Also, I know .mp4 typically isn't the best format for Vegas but I'm using it because in OBS, I can encode multiple audio tracks to it, which I need to do. Also this isn't a vegas-specific problem it does this in VLC too.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: High Keyframe Interval lagging Vegas?
on Feb 25, 2017 at 6:55:15 am

I just made a post about OBS recording yesterday. You might want to try those settings. The overall thread also says why playback can be strange in Vegas from encoders like OBS.

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1016586

If your "fan is going crazy," it sounds like your system might be to weak to push what you are asking it to do.

Increasing the Key frame setting will make Vegas work hard to build frame from all the Long group of pictures. More I frames (keyframes) with a high bit rate, will make the system work hard, increase your file size, and pretty much only improve timeline indexing. I would just use the 0 setting, which is Auto. The bottom line .264 encoded files are not really great to edit with. It would be nice if OBS and others supported intra frame encoding. Especially with such high motion in a game, but they lean towards record length and not quality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]