FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality issues with GoPro footage in Vegas 14

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Diels
Quality issues with GoPro footage in Vegas 14
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:05:09 am

Hi guys,

Over the last year I have been struggling with finding a way to deal with GoPro footage in Vegas. Using the original camera mp4 files has proven not to work efficiently, with low framerate playbacks etc. So I decided to go back to converting the original camera files before using them anywhere else. As GoPros come with the GoPro Studio package I decided to give that one another try.

However, the converted videos are of worse quality than the original files. I mean, the files are not terrible, but the quality (colours and sharpness) is reduced. Please take a look at the two pictures. Is there anyone who could help me out? I'd just like to be able to convert the GoPro footage into a format that is workable in Vegas Pro 14. I have tried the original mp4 files and they are okay, preview is just not as smooth as one would like.

Original GoPro mp4 file in Vegas 14

Converted AVI file in Vegas 14

Do you see the difference in sharpness and colour? Especially around the slide exit, water, trees etc.

Thanks in advance.

William.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Quality issues with GoPro footage in Vegas 14
on Feb 17, 2017 at 11:18:56 am

Use the original, just let Vegas create a proxy for it - that speeds up preview.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

William Diels
on Feb 17, 2017 at 12:04:02 pm

I feel pretty stupid that I haven't thought of creating a video proxy. I am gonna give it a try, even though I still don't get why GoPro Studio messes up the video quality.

Is there any chance that I can change the location Vegas Pro saves the proxy videos? I believe the default is the folder where the original file is located. I'd rather have Vegas Pro save the proxies somewhere else. Is that possible? Can't find it somewhere.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 17, 2017 at 4:50:47 pm

Don't feel stupid, I myself never did need proxies so far. Just recently had a weird performance problem, and creating proxies solved it ☺
I doubt there would be a way to create the proxy some elsewhere. AFAIK Vegas looks for that file in the same directory...
But let me suggest you something:
collect everything needed for a project in a folder dedicated to that roject, maybe in subfolders of it.
That makes the whole project way much easier to backup, copy, etc. I do this all the time.
Doing so you will have the proxies in that (project)folder as well.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Guillaume Jeffrey
on Feb 19, 2017 at 1:04:15 am

The difference of color is "normal".
Your original mp4 file has most probably a 0-255 luminance. Cineform files are decoded in 16-235 in Vegas. That why you see a difference of color.
As a side note, I would suggest to upgrade your computer because preview for 1080-60p footage should be smooth even at best full.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]