FORUMS: list search recent posts

Head scratcher for longtime user of Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Davis
Head scratcher for longtime user of Vegas
on Feb 9, 2017 at 3:21:23 pm

Hi and thanks to any who hope to solve this mystery.

I had been using Vegas 13 happily for well over a year. Couldn't be happier editing my XDCAM HD content until suddenly it became slow. By slow I mean as the job started to include HD video and grow Vegas 13 will give me the spinning icon for even the simplest of tasks. Want to trim an audio event on the timeline a bit? Wait for the spin icon to finish. So frustrating because it isn't possible to really edit like this.

What was my workaround? Open the exact same project veg file in Vegas 12 and happily edit as normal. So the question is, why oh why does Vegas 12 handle the same project just fine that Vegas 13 must think and spin all day with. And it's not just any 1 veg file. This is true for any veg file old or new.

The only thing I tried to do to solve this problem is to reinstall Vegas 13 from scratch but that didn't solve the problem. I really want to use Vegas 13 for my editing but have been locked into using Vegas 12 for the past few months.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Erik

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Head scratcher for longtime user of Vegas
on Feb 10, 2017 at 3:30:50 am

Seems like something has changed on your system. Any new software or drivers added or updated? Windows update? .. Look at System Restore in Windows to see if anything was changed in the system that triggered a restore point and would be the right timing for this mysterious Vegas slowdown .. Something is up and conflicting with VP13 or some setting within VP13 is causing this. Check Dynamic Ram -- is that the same setting as VP12?

Hardware failure is less likely as VP12 is running well.

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Feb 10, 2017 at 1:29:12 pm

Thanks Paul,

I am considering the items you mentioned. Uninstalling a few things and trying to find whats conflicting with VP13 as I agree with your premise. On Windows 7 is there a consensus on the best nVidia driver for VP13/VP12?

Will let you know what I find.
Thanks very much,
Erik

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Feb 10, 2017 at 2:21:07 pm

I forgot to mention that my video card is the Quadro 4000.

I uninstalled several pieces of software; I checked ram settings and no luck.

One other interesting tidbit is that VP14 works fine also! So 12 and 14 good, 13 bad.

Erik

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 10, 2017 at 3:47:23 pm

Hi Erik,

Are you on the latest Sony Vegas Pro 13 build (453), or have you updated that to the Magix Vegas Pro 13? Have you done a Reset of Vegas Pro 13? A reinstall will not flush out any problems in the application cache that Vegas pro 13 may have, only a reset checking the box to delete appplication cache will do that. If you have updated the GPU driver since Vegas Pro 13 was running well, you may want to consider rolling the driver back to a previous update.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Feb 12, 2017 at 1:08:15 pm

Hi George,

I am on build 453. Did you mean that I should update to the latest Magix version of VP13? Thought that was a copyright update only.

GOOD NEWS! The delete the cache option DID resolve my problem! Wondering what that is all about as I really have no clue why that would fix things. Valuable lesson learned. Thank you!!

Erik

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 12, 2017 at 6:01:41 pm

Hi Erik,

Erik @ "I am on build 453. Did you mean that I should update to the latest Magix version of VP13? Thought that was a copyright update only."

I do not recommend anyone update to the Magix VP13 builds. As you state, they are only name space changes and cause problems with script files, as well as, maybe some add-ons. I was just asking for clarification.

Erik @ "GOOD NEWS! The delete the cache option DID resolve my problem! Wondering what that is all about as I really have no clue why that would fix things. Valuable lesson learned. Thank you!!"

I cannot explain the technical details. What I understand is, VP saves a lot of data as cache for the application of a project. From time to time, this cached data can become corrupted or confusing to VP. Deleting the cached application data and resetting VP simply sets everything in VP back to the installation default settings and flushes out all the saved stuff which may be causing a conflict. I think this would imply, it is possible for VP to get corrupted/confused by the data it saves to make the program more efficient, which at times, can do exactly the opposite and make the program worthless or at least present problems. Is that a stability issue within VP code, I think so. Nonetheless, this reset and deleting the cached application data is the first place I usually turn to when Vegas starts to get messed up. It's a bit of a pain, but gets me back on track, and fortunately for me, I've only had to do this twice.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Erik Davis
on Feb 13, 2017 at 6:09:25 am

Thanks again! Feels great to get a fresh start with VP13. Now if I could just figure out why Quadro4000 board with latest nVidia driver doesn't work with VP14. I get a gpu memory error (as in not enough gpu memory) with crash everytime. The Quadro 4000 has 2gb of memory onboard.

Erik

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]