FORUMS: list search recent posts

transfer veg tracks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brian langtry
transfer veg tracks
on Feb 5, 2017 at 2:30:03 pm

Hi,
I fear me PC is struggling as I'm having lots of issues with rendering and several crashes! I am re making for the 3rd time a 50 minute film which is perfect until i render it then glitches appear?
I am re editing from scratch the film again as a new project but am wondering if it is possible to save a veg file, rather like in recording software, to enable loading onto another project on a new PC?
Advice would be most welcome.
thank Brian Langtry

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: transfer veg tracks
on Feb 5, 2017 at 3:28:26 pm

[brian langtry] "I fear me PC is struggling as I'm having lots of issues with rendering and several crashes!"
Can you render a NEW TEST VEG using a 10 second Media?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 5, 2017 at 3:28:35 pm

"to enable loading onto another project on a new PC?"
Yes this is possible, Just make sure you create a folder and save your project in this folder and when
you are saving your Vegas project, make sure at the bottom of the screen you select "Copy media with project".

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 5, 2017 at 5:46:04 pm

Hi Stephen
thank you very much for the reply. its a bad time i just bought vegas 14 and the DVD just refuses to open .
Oh boy but thanks Ill try what you suggest..
I'm a bit think I think but when I've saved the the file in the folder n thew current host machine as you suggest can that file be copied into a flash drive and opened up in vegas on another machine?
thank you fro your patience.
brian langtry

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 6, 2017 at 1:16:15 am

"can that file be copied into a flash drive and opened up in vegas on another machine?"
Yes, it certainly can brian.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:46:28 am

thanks very much steve I'm on it. very helpful advice much appreciated.
brian langtry

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 6, 2017 at 12:58:23 pm

Glad to help my friend....
But remember, for it to open on another system, the same version of Vegas has to be used, or a newer version.

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 6, 2017 at 9:52:35 pm

hi steve,
getting there thanks to your good self!
I copied the files onto a flash drive, copied those from the flash to the new host computer then imported the media into Vegas 14 which I've just purchased. The 2 track resulting file seems to have rendered itself during the import process as the images are steady and so far -too tired tonight to watch all- rock solid.
What is confusing me is that I expected the import would give me all the original tracks separately instead of just a 2 track master - the reason for this is that there are just a couple of minor points that I'd like to have altered on the timeline of the original project. Have I done something wrong or is this how the programme is set up - I could go back to the original Vegas 12 file and do the amendments its just I was expecting 6/7 tracks which could still be edited? Am I right in assuming this process renders automatically?
Sorry to trouble you again but your help is invaluable.
best wishes
Brian L

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Feb 6, 2017 at 10:28:57 pm

You appear to be doing it wrong. You should open the veg file with Vegas 14, not open a new project in 14 then import?

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 7, 2017 at 2:01:42 pm

Hi Eric
Please bear with me but I'm in really uncharted waters for my level of experience.
Should I be copy the veg file currently on my old computer (vegas 12) located in the 'ready to open list- ignoring the tick box include all media - onto a stick then transfer and open on new computer into vegas 14 ? Will this loads all the tracks film, audio, titles and such media so I can still edit?
Alternatively should I copy the file from 'documents sony' where the file is stored on the C drive? I'm sorry but having such a lot of trouble achieving this and am desperate to sort it. Help would is sorely needed.
look forward to hearing from you
Brian L.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 7, 2017 at 5:55:10 pm

Hi Brian,

Just do what Steve suggested.
1. open your project on your old PC, old Vegas.
2. do a "save as" to an external drive, but also check "copy media with project".
That will save your project file, and also copies all the footages to the folder on the external drive you pointed to save to...
Assume, E: is the external drive, and "myproject" is the folder you created on it and save to it.
Depending on the filesizes this can take a while.
Than you'll have a veg file in E:\myproject, and all sorts of media you used in that project.
3. You can shut down your old PC, detach the external drive, and take it to the new PC.
Just copy E:\myproject folder to any location on your new PC, say for example into D:\Videos\.
After that you'll have everything you need for that project in D:\Videos\myproject.
Just open D:\Videos\myproject\anyvegfile.veg with Vegas14 on your new PC.
Everything should be fine and working, except some 3rd party effects, which you may have installed on your old PC, but not on the new.
When you save that project on the new PC, you'll get a warning for the first time, that the project is from an earlier version. You can safely overwrite if you don't plan to go back to V12, otherwise better save to another filename.
Project files saved with Vegas 14 won't open in earlier versions.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 9, 2017 at 9:42:45 am

Hi Laszlo,
That sounds very helpful and you may have identified where I am going wrong. When I saved the file (all project media) I saved it internally on the PC I was using 12 on (the file did have all the media project within it) THEN transferred it to the flash drive and subsequently onto new machine.
Do you think the fact that I'd didn't save direct to flash drive was the problem even though the file I saved was a complete 9GB project media albeit initially saved on my Vegas 12 host PC? I'll try what you suggest but, as the project files were all there I still cannot understand why they loaded as a 2 track master and not the complete project file. Would welcome your feedback from above.
Many many thanks for the detailed info.
I don't suppose you are aware of any expert help that uses' team viewer' or 'zoho' to solve these issues? Quite happy to pay but cannot find anywhere on net offering such services. I have used such an expert for my audio recording set up from time to time and found them invaluable. Sorry to consume so much of creative cow time but I have dates coming up to show the film and need to get it sorted.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 9, 2017 at 11:04:41 am

Hi,

I just detailed Steve's suggestion ☺

[brian langtry] "the fact that I'd didn't save direct to flash drive was the problem"

I don't think so. The key is that you had everything for your project in one folder, so that's easier to copy.
Wether you create that folder on an external drive, or internal and copy it just afterwards, does not matter.

[brian langtry] "why they loaded as a 2 track master"

How do you open?
Do you open it via file/open, or just drag the .veg to the timeline (thus creating a nested .veg)?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 9, 2017 at 5:44:30 pm

Hi Laszlo,
I've tried double clicking on the file which I believe should auto open Vegas 14 and and the file data in full track mode just as does my recording software It only loads a 2 track version?
I only purchased the vegas 14 a week ago - the DVD would not load automatically and eventually I took to my local gurus PC shop who copied and pasted the files into my PC. Do you think this is a faulty DVD and copying has not properly embedded everything?
I have the saved vegas 12 project file on the new PC but haven't tried dropping it onto an open version of the software .Will try this tonight and mail you with results.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 9, 2017 at 6:18:15 pm

Hi Brian,

I just thought you may drag and drop the veg file to the empty timeline. If you do so, that means you add to an empty project that veg file as a nested project. This results exactly in 1 audio and 1 video track, this is not what you want. You need to open the veg file, so you'll see all the tracks, events, envelopes, etc.

So start Vegas, navigate to file/open, and browse for the .veg file. And open it.
By default if you doubleclick a .veg file, a new instance of Vegas starts up, and opens that .veg file, just like yu would do it via file/open. But as you visited some Gurus, so who knows what exactly happens? I learned not to trust gurus, but different country, different habits. ☺
What if you start Vegas alone, and open the .veg file via file/open?
What if you open that saved-for-transfer project on your old PC? Do you get what you expect, or just the 2 tracks?

What DVD are you referring to? Vegas install DVD? If you bought Vegas boxed, you may want to download a more recent build (now I'm on build 211 of Vegas).

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 9, 2017 at 6:50:02 pm

Hi Laszlo
The 2 track file opens with 2 error messages both of which are on the vegas 12 project - to do with cannot find files but the timeline has these files on it, it plays, and does appear on the 2 track.

the error message box reads " A nested project was not found F/pictures/coventry canal 5veg whole project /20140417000433 m2ts" this is the name of the file I am trying to open?

If I open the copied veg file it has all the data on it but not in an order of the film as far as I can tell. Are you saying to open the file with all various bits showing and double click? wouldn't this just load the file I was clicking on?
I did get the full track version just on one occasion but this was momentary - as the files started to build it shut the computer down which happened once earlier when I was trying to load.
You mention downloading - are you referring to updates? This is something I have not done as I only bought the DVD a week ago. I'll have a look tomorrow for updates presumably on the Magix website. In the meantime how sure can I be that this is not a Disc problem? I feel very guilty about consuming your time but I am way out of my comfort zone here. The laptop I'm transferring to hosts my recording software ( an MSI £1700 model barely 6 months old ) and gives no indication of problems with that.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 10, 2017 at 7:14:54 am

Hi Brian,

The most important:
don't feel guilty! All people here try to help on voluntary basis.
That is the link I could download my Vegas 14:
http://dl03.magix.net/vegaspro14.exe
I think it is the same for you too, just use your own serial to activate.
Reading your post I start to beleive, something weird is happening there.
Anyway, do you have a nested project in your original V12 project on your old PC?
Do you see any chance to install V14 on your old PC? (Just to see how it will open your original project there - don't save with it!) Non need to activate there, the trial is good enough...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 10, 2017 at 9:47:23 am

hi Laszlo,
I'll uninstall and re install via download.
I tried again last night and its just crashing the system - sometimes a message pops up "low on memory" and I'm assuming this is ram memory although again I'm out of my depth at this level . The MSI laptop has 16 gb ram and the file I'm trying to load is 10.7gb so I'm guessing its something to do with this?
would you mind if i contact you after the downloading? I've tried to get into Magix support and to email a tech query but on the 'contact' site it doesn't list vegas 14 only 12/13 and won't let me proceed. cannot get telephone support as far as I can see so its fair to say I'm pretty unimpressed with the whole set up apart from your good selves.
I know you can reset vegas 12 using control + something. I can't find what the 'something' is. Can you advise please just in case and I'll make a note.
thanks for your interest.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 10, 2017 at 10:41:43 am

Hi Brian,

[brian langtry] "I know you can reset vegas 12 using control + something."

Hold ctrl-shift while Vegas is starting, and it will prompt for reset everything to factory default. That's true for all Vegas versions I know.
An earlyer version of Vegas14 had an issue, kind of memory leak, which resulted in a crash with HDV footages.
Do you have HDV material in your project?
See:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/1013982

Magix support is no something I would call responsive. They respond within a week or so... ☹
So your best bet is to get support from this forum.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

brian langtry
on Feb 11, 2017 at 11:21:20 am

Hi Laszlo,
Thank you for reply. I do still have from previous attempts a track loaded on a timeline which I assume is as you describe 'nesting'.
Will just deleting this from the timeline get rid of the nested track or do I have to do it another way?

I have now reinstalled 14 from a download as you suggest but am still getting the same 2 track transfer. When I open the file I'm trying to load I see lots of clip footage and audio but am I supposed to see 'track events' and 'envelopes' - I'm not sure I'd recognise these so what would I look for? The thinking behind this is 'is there a fault on this 'save as and copy all media?
Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 11, 2017 at 9:06:31 pm

Hi Brian,

I meant with events, envelopes etc, that you should see theoretically everything on the timeline as it was on your old PC with Vegas12, the same tracks, so the timeline should look the exact same. You can go on with edit, render, and so on.
But....
Did you really use nested projects in your original project?
I don't like project nesting, so I don't use it, that's why I don't have any experience with it.
I just did now a quick test, and it shows, that with save-as-copy-media, the nested project itself is saved too, but without the source medias of it, and the references to media files are unchanged in that nested veg. Those still point to the original source...
Let me explain:
I created a new empty project in d:\videos. Saved it, so I had the project as d:\videos\test.veg.
Dropped a jpg to the timeline from d:\pictures\dsc0256.jpg. Then dropped another project d:\videos\bob\bob.veg.
So my test.veg contained another veg (nested) and a jpg.
The nested project (bob.veg) had a dsc0170.mov and an indie-pop.mp3.
Now I saved my test project with copy media option to d:\videos\test2\test2.veg
In this driectory (d:\videos\test2) I had then the dsc0256.jpg as expected, also bob.veg, and the according .sfk and and sfvap0 file.
But no dsc0170.mov nor indie-pop.mp3. And if I rename d:\video\bob folder to anything else, so that it becomes invisible to the nested project saved as d:\videos\test2\bob.veg, I get similar file not found errors on opening test2.veg.
I think this is your problem.

So if you used nested projects on your old pc with Vegas12, I'm afraid this save-as-copy-media trick simply won't work.
I guess you need to copy your (original) veg files, and find all the source medias, and all that should be placed on the new PC in a folder/drive structure that mimics what is now on your old PC.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Feb 12, 2017 at 1:50:33 pm

Hi Brian,

I have some good news for you.
Do you have Vegasaur? If you still don't have it, it's the time to get it!
I tried the project archiver of Vegasaur.
It is capable to save everything, really EVERYTHING of a project, including nested vegs (it can also create a subdirectory for each nested veg if you wish).

So get to your old PC, and install Vegasaur there.
Start your Vegas12 there and open your original project.
Open vegasaur menu, choose project/archive project.
Browse to an empty folder where there's enough room to store your project with all it's bells and whistles ☺
Set mode to "ALL" (probably not necessary, but I think this is the safest option for you).
Check the mark "save nested projects..."
And give it a go. (Nested projects will be opened one at a time, so if the timeline display changes while saving, don't be afraid)
You'll have everything in the specified folder for that project, ready to transfer.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Feb 7, 2017 at 10:36:02 pm

Got things running smoothy?
Seems you were over complicating the process....

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]