FORUMS: list search recent posts

GPU and CPU selection for Desktop PC Vegas Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Ryan
GPU and CPU selection for Desktop PC Vegas Editing
on Jan 31, 2017 at 9:48:36 am

Hey there,
I am purchasing a desktop PC for editing on Vegas and would appreciate some advice regarding CPU and GPU selection.
I was originally interested in the i7 6700 CPU and R9 290 GPU from when originally researching 6-12 months ago but am wondering now about the new options available.
A quote I received recommended the newly available i7 7700 CPU and I am wondering what this is like? I have now been looking at the R9 390x GPU and also wondering about the R9 380 and RX 480.
Thanks kindly in advance for any assistance.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: GPU and CPU selection for Desktop PC Vegas Editing
on Jan 31, 2017 at 10:44:35 am

Hi Mark

If you are going to edit 4K - Vegas say you need a 8-core cpu !
I got a i7 5960x and 2 R9 390x ! 2 R9 390x because i also use Davinci Resolve.

Return to posts index

Jeff Lee
on Jan 31, 2017 at 3:08:36 pm

Make sure you get an AMD GPU to get the most out of Vegas.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 31, 2017 at 7:46:32 pm

Pick an AMD card from this list sorted by performance:

RX480 - 5100 GFLOPs
R9-290/390x - 5900 GFLOPS
Fury-X - 8600 GFLOPs

For Vegas, always choose an X series card, or a card with an XT GPU chip. These have the most compute units and performance is the best.

AMD Vega GPU line is due out in the next couple months.

Return to posts index

Mark Ryan
on Feb 2, 2017 at 11:06:27 am

Thanks for the help everyone. That's good to know about the GPUs.
If anybody has any thoughts on the i7 6700 vs the new 7700 that would be very helpful as I am tossing up between the two. I'm unsure whether to play safe with the 6700 which has proven well for others or if there are any recommendations for the new 7700.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 2, 2017 at 2:47:19 pm

The 6700 and 7700 are identical practically speaking. The 7700 just comes with a higher stable clock speed, which gives it a performance boost over the stock 6700.

The Z270 motherboard for the 7700 also has improvements, mainly the upping of the stock memory bandwidth. The other improvement is the addition of more PCIe lanes, but they are not off the CPU and cross the DMI bridge. Basically the additional PCIe lanes are so they can add more high bandwidth accessories.

Video editing tends to need dedicated bandwidths, where as most of the accessories they hang off the z170/z270 chips are meant for intermittent use or solo use. An M2 drive and a Blackmagic capture card will overload the DMI bridge pretty fast. Desktop/gaming boards have this flaw, whereas Xeon workstation boards have bandwidth improvements to keep this from happening. When you compare the design of the z270 and X99, you see that the X99 is practically a Xeon class design.

Return to posts index

Mark Ryan
on Feb 3, 2017 at 3:38:34 am

Thanks a lot, Aaron. This is really helpful.
I am thinking of going with the i7 7700 and the MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8GB.
Could you please help me clarify which motherboard I should go with (e.g. the Z270) and do you have any recommendations for brands or models?
The computer will likely do streaming at some point with a capture card like you mentioned and is mostly for 1080p video editing but knowing that 4K is a possibility would be nice too. I saw a few sites say Asus Prime Z270-A was a good all-rounder but I don't know what to look for when it comes to motherboards with respects to video editing so your help is really appreciated.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Feb 3, 2017 at 9:54:37 am

Well with motherboards. I look at the chipset block design 1st and try and max the interfaces like 4 memory channels on the x99 board. The 7700 uses the Z270 chipset so its design is laid out, so then you are down to choosing what is important to you. Here is a link to a review of different z270 boards:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1316-asrock-z270-motherboards/page3.html

If you look at the different benchmarks, I would value the LatencyMon score 1st, then maybe consider the fact that the Gigabyte board comes with a really good audio chip.

Here is another review that offers some insight into other boards. They found in testing that 3200MHz was a stable DDR4 RAM speed on their configurations. That is a significant performance boost in memory bandwidth to try in your own testing. Use Memtest86+ and run it over night, and a stable speed should show zero errors no matter how long you run it.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241950-intels-core-i7-7700k-reviewed-ka...

"All of our CPUs were configured with four 8GB sticks of DDR4-3200 courtesy of GSkill (F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ). We had no trouble running the RAM at 3200MHz with Skylake, Kaby Lake, or Broadwell-EP, even though the maximum clock speed was substantially higher than anything these chips are formally rated for."

There are only 2 memory channels on the Z270, so verify with Memtest86+ or Winsat Mem that you are still operating at dual channel speeds if you populate beyond 2 DIMMS. If the board drops back with 4 chips, then you will need 2 higher density DIMMs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]