FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro Cannot Use All Of The RAM

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hawk
Vegas Pro Cannot Use All Of The RAM
on Jan 27, 2017 at 8:22:15 pm

I've been working with Vegas Pro on my PC for a while. It was running excellent. I could use about 4-5 video tracks and it was running smoothly.
But recently, I've formatted my system and reinstalled Vegas.

Now it has a very annoying preview lag. In the "Preferences -> Video" section the maximum available dynamic RAM is shown as 1 GB, even though my RAM is 4 GB. It doesn't matter whether I'm using GPU acceleration or not. Apart from essential operating system services, Vegas is the only software running on my PC. In preview tab, I'm using the 'Preview -> Auto' option for preview quality. Still, it has a very serious preview lag.

What can I do to allocate more RAM? How can I get rid of the preview lag?

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Vegas Pro Cannot Use All Of The RAM
on Jan 28, 2017 at 2:42:51 am

Do you have a TOTAL of 4GB of RAM in your entire system? That is pretty low these days.
Regardless, Vegas cannot use ALL of the RAM present in your system for your Dynamic RAM preview, and I BELIEVE it does limit you to 1/4 of your total installed RAM installed when building a Dynamic RAM preview. That is likely the reason you cannot use it all.
Remember that Vegas and anything else running including your OS requires RAM to use and also additional to be available for resources that may be need. The RAM that Vegas can allocate for Dynamic RAM preview is the limit that it uses when you select a portion of your timeline and press shift-B. That creates a type of "render quality" video for that specific section. Vegas will utilize whatever RAM is needs/is available when you are editing. Preview quality while you are editing does not solely use that which you allocated in Preferences. Preview Quality is a function of your GPU in addition to your CPU and RAM (provided your GPU is one that is supported) and your other system hardware.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Hawk
on Jan 28, 2017 at 8:18:04 am

I understand what you say and thanks for your help.

But my problem isn't hardware.
My problem is, before I formatted the system, it was running perfectly. It is the same hardware after all! No matter how many tracks (up to 6) or effects (chroma keyer, film grain etc.) I was using, it was running very smoothly. I think it could use about 3GB of RAM. Nowadays, a text media is all it takes to make Vegas lag.

I tried giving Vegas more priority than OS services (I'm well aware of the dangers), it didn't make a single difference.
On Windows 7, is there a way that I can 'force' the system to allocate more memory for Vegas? A registry value?

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jan 29, 2017 at 12:43:49 pm

Could you give us your system specs, including Version of Windows as well (also 32bit or 64 bit to answer John's question).

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 28, 2017 at 2:46:22 pm

Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vegas Pro?

32-bit applications can only use 2GB of RAM regardless of how much RAM is physically in your system. Since Vegas will always keep some RAM for itself, showing 1GB of Dynamic RAM is consistent with using the 32-bit version.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]