FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gold Data Center Drives for Video Editing ?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Berk
Gold Data Center Drives for Video Editing ?
on Jan 27, 2017 at 7:39:41 pm

I like using WD Black Caviar drives for editing. They're fast and have 5 year warranty. But lately been thinking of trying a WD Gold Data Center drive. 7200rpm. 128mb Cache. 2.5million hours? 24x7x365 reliability. 5 year warranty too.

Anyone using WD Data Center drives for editing?

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Gold Data Center Drives for Video Editing ?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 2:42:21 pm

[Paul Berk] "But lately been thinking of trying a WD Gold Data Center drive. 7200rpm. 128mb Cache. 2.5million hours? 24x7x365 reliability. 5 year warranty too."
You didn't say if this is for a Desktop or a NAS or SAN?

If for a desktop, do you keep your editing workstation running 24x7? (Some people might if they are editing all day and rendering all night!) These drives are designed for continuos use (i.e., never being turned off for years at a time). They are really designed for NAS and SAN environments with RAID setups. They don't go to sleep because they would drop out of the RAID if they did. They are overkill for desktop video editing so why pay the additional price unless you have a lot of money and want the very best.

WD Blacks are all you need for your desktop (that's what I use) or WD Reds if you have a RAID (which I also use in my NAS RAID 5's) or the WD Gold for a RAID if you keep it on 24/7 and want the very best. I shut my RAID's off when not using them. So it all depends on how you plan to use them.

4TB WD Black $200
4TB WD Red $225
4TB WD Gold $250

Each one is designed for a heavier use than the one before it. All are fine for video editing. Red and Gold are more appropriate for NAS and SAN setups. Like I said, if you have a NAS or SAN that you keep powered on 24/7/365, the WD Golds are the ultimate drive to use. If this is for your desktop, the WD Blacks are more appropriate for that workload.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Gold Data Center Drives for Video Editing ?
on Jan 28, 2017 at 8:28:12 pm

If you are looking to improve your disk sub-system, I would look into the differences between SATA, SAS, and NVME. With SAS and NVME your motherboard/CPU need to support the PCI bandwidth properly, and not gimp your GPU bandwidth.

SATA is a half duplex interface

SAS is a full duplex interface - it used to offer advantage of command queue, but now SATA also offers command queue

NVME is a massively parallel, deep queue, full duplex interface

http://electronicdesign.com/digital-ics/whats-difference-between-sata-and-n...

I think the data center drives are a bit over kill unless you have needs for the extra support and warranties. I personally run Blue and Black drives mirrored in OS.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]