FORUMS: list search recent posts

What happened to the last frame of my videos?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peyton Todd
What happened to the last frame of my videos?
on Jan 22, 2017 at 3:28:42 pm

Some applications chop off the last frame of my MOV videos and some do not. Specifically, when changing them to MP4 (or M4V) Handbrake does not, but Wondershare Video Converter does. Loading them to Adobe Acrobat DC as 'legacy' MOV files does not. But loading M4V's of them into Adobe Acrobat DC's current H264-only video interface does chop them off, even when the M4V was prepared by Handbrake, thus keeping the final frame. And Vegas chops them off, too, even when the MOV file was originally built from Vegas. (I have Vegas 11.0.)

It may help to understand why this matters: these are videos of sign language sentences, about 2 to 4 seconds each, with sub-titles identifying each sign. I built these MOV files from the original AVI's in Vegas (most from earlier versions of Vegas), always ending the sub-title of the final sign just before the last frame so it would not hang around when the video ends. When I could still use MOV files in Adobe Acrobat Pro, the resulting PDFs worked perfectly, never showing the sub-title on the last frame. But now with M4V's they always do show the sub-title of the final sign on what has now become the last frame. (One can still use MOV files if the reader enables Quicktime in Edit Preferences, but only after such a stern warning that most readers will be scared away; the warning may as well have included a skull-and-crossed-bones beside it.)

I thought I could solve this by loading the MOV files to Vegas and cutting and pasting the last frame immediately after itself, resulting in two identical final frames, such that cutting off the last one would no longer matter. But alas, Vegas also chops off the final frame! (With the additional oddity that it letter-boxes them, which I can fix by changing the .9090 pixels to square; MedioInfo says they're 720x480 at 29.970 fps Sorenson3 but it does not specify the pixel size.)

Thanks for your help.

Peyton Todd

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: What happened to the last frame of my videos?
on Jan 23, 2017 at 5:24:18 pm

>> I thought I could solve this by loading the MOV files to Vegas and cutting and pasting the last frame immediately after itself,

Which MOV file are your loading into Vegas? If you are loading an MOV that includes the subtitles except for the last frame, then what is the problem? If you are loading an MOV that doesn't include a last frame that is clear of the subtitle, then how can you add a frame without a subtitle?

I don't have a copy of V11 on my machine, but in V12, I cannot reproduce the cutting off of the last frame.

Which render template are you using? Do you have the original .veg files and AVI files? Why not use them again?

Return to posts index

Peyton Todd
Re: What happened to the last frame of my videos?
on Jan 24, 2017 at 3:44:23 am

>> Which MOV file are your loading into Vegas?

I'm loading the MOV files built by Vegas a few years ago from the original AVI files. They include the subtitles through the last sign, then an extra frame right after that, which has no sub-titles. So if I could duplicate that last frame and tack it onto the end, then later, when Acrobat deletes it, my original last frame (with no subtitle) will remain.

>> I don't have a copy of V11 on my machine, but in V12, I cannot reproduce the cutting off of the last frame.

I'm attaching one of the MOV files, or trying to. Even though you have a later version of Vegas, it might tell us something if you can load it and I cannot. (I tried - I can't tell if it worked.)

>>Which render template are you using?

I have generally used Quicktime 7 > 3Mbps, which is 655 x 480 Sorenson, 15 fps. There could be a clue here since 15 is not exactly half of 29.97.

>> Do you have the original .veg files and AVI files? Why not use them again?

Yes, I have them. I'm reluctant to use them again unless I have to. The reason is I have a great many video clips, and the original AVI tape is long - an hour although all my clips are from the first 10 minutes. They nevertheless have to be looked up. Also, since this is a tape of a conversation, fairly often the scene switched right away to another signer right at the end of what the signer I'm focused on says, so the extra frame isn't there. Another option would be to shorten the sub-title of the last sign (i.e. let it last one frame fewer than at present), but that's a bit more work. Since I have to many of these to do, I was hoping to work directly from the MOV files that already isolate the examples I'm interested in.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]