FORUMS: list search recent posts

SVP13 lags when editing footage. (I7 4790k + GPU) Advice?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Wynn
SVP13 lags when editing footage. (I7 4790k + GPU) Advice?
on Jan 15, 2017 at 10:50:17 am

I shoot with the Sony A7s II (XAVC) & I notice that my Timeline lags during multiple preview settings. Sometimes even in draft mode. I have no idea what it can be, & have even went as far as thinking about downgrading GPU's to help benefit this issue. My computer is not the best, but it's pretty legit as it can handle 4K editing/playing in Adobe premiere just fine. Thing is, I'm much better & efficient dealing with Sony Vegas. The change/adjustment to a new software editor will be too much at the moment. Eventually I will learn premiere, but as of right now I would strongly prefer SVP running more efficient.

Current Specs:
Windows 10
I7 4790k 4.00Ghz
16 GB DDR3
256 TB SSD (W/ Operating Sysytem & All Programs Installed)
ATI AMD Radeon R9 380. (PCI 3.0)

To be honest, I believe that it may be the GPU since Vegas likes to recognize the Radeon HD 6 (& Below) versions over the current. If so, how low of a GPU can I go without effecting any type of performance?

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: SVP13 lags when editing footage. (I7 4790k + GPU) Advice?
on Jan 16, 2017 at 1:52:35 am

Hi Chris

I hope that you are not running everything off only one drive; OS, VP, Source material, etc...

Having separate drives for everything is the best in order to avoid lags, freezes and other nasty stuff.

Cheers

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Chris Wynn
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:17:54 pm

I have multiple drives really. OS & SVP13 is running on my SSD. Video Files on my actual HDD.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 16, 2017 at 1:22:13 pm

[Chris Wynn] " I notice that my Timeline lags during multiple preview settings. Sometimes even in draft mode. I have no idea what it can be, & have even went as far as thinking about downgrading GPU's to help benefit this issue."
First make sure that your project settings match your footage. Vegas Pro will conform on-the-fly so you don't want it converting every frame if it doesn't need to. Keeping your project at the same resolution as your source footage will give you the best playback performance.

Downgrading your GPU is the worst thing that you could do. Vegas Pro fully supports your AMD Radeon R9 380 for timeline preview. When people say that it only supports older GPUs, they are talking purely about encoding while rendering. It has nothing to do with timeline playback. Vegas Pro handles all of the timeline playback with OpenCL taking advantage of whatever GPU you have. So getting a slower GPU will just hurt your performance.
[Chris Wynn] "My computer is not the best, but it's pretty legit as it can handle 4K editing/playing in Adobe premiere just fine."
That should tell you something right there... the problem is not your computer and definitely not your GPU... the problem is that Sony (and now MAGIX) recommends a minimum of 8-cores for 4K work. Could this be becasue they knew that their GPU support wasn't going to cut it with 4K? I don't know but your 4-core has 1/2 the CPU power that is recommended for working in 4K with Vegas Pro.

If Premiere Pro is performing well for you with 4K and Vegas Pro is not, then the problem is Vegas Pro NOT your computer. You have to decide what software you want to use. MAGIX needs to decide how much longer they can ignore that their GPU support is not as good as other NLEs.

One thing that you can try is to move to a Proxy workflow where you let Vegas Pro render low res files to edit and then switch back to the original files to render. It's more work and takes longer but it might be your only solution and is built into Vegas Pro as an option.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasstsoftware.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wynn
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:20:37 pm

I super appreciate your feedback. I don't have the new version of the i7 motherboards. Looks like I'm stuck with the 4790k until I decide to possibly move up to a tougher version. Those 8 Core CPU's are just so expensive though.

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Jan 16, 2017 at 3:00:10 pm

Hi Chris, I have the same CPU and memory that you have. I just yesterday tested a short 4K uhd video clip from a Sony A7R II, no fx added, and it played back at full fps, 25, PAL, using best/full preview setting.

The graphics card is a gtx 1080, not much use for very fast rendering, because not supported in render by Magix, but does assist playback. An AMD RX 480 card would probably do as well or better. I assume the A7R II and A7S II files are similar in makeup?

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 16, 2017 at 7:00:23 pm

Often time what people fail to understand is that Vegas needs an XT chip, or x-series GPU. The non-X GPUs are basically gimped versions of high end GPUs, and by gimped that means memory interface or other manufacturing flaws that binned the chip to a lower cost product. Like the Xtreme series of CPUs from Intel, GPU manufacturing is no different. The product that meets the best Quality Assessments are the ones that are selected for top product range. The rest are lemonaid from the manufacturing lemons. Do not spend thousands on your camera/lenses, and then cheap out on your system components of your NLE.

R9-380:
Compute Units: 28
Pixel Rate: 31.04 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 108.6 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 3,476 GFLOPS

R9-290x - older GPU model
Compute Units: 44
Pixel Rate: 64.0 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 176.0 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 5,632 GFLOPS

RX-480 - latest X GPU
Compute Units: 36
Pixel Rate: 40.5 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 182.3 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 5,834 GFLOPS

R9-FuryX
Compute Units: 64
Pixel Rate: 67.2 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 268.8 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 8,602 GFLOPS

The latest NV cards maybe catching up, as some users are having a good experience, but this is likely the 1080 series or newer. Below 1080 series, NV and Vegas have not been good friends due to NVs poor OpenCL support.

NV-1080 GPU
SM Count: 20
Pixel Rate: 102.8 GPixel/s
Texture Rate: 257.1 GTexel/s
Floating-point performance: 8,228 GFLOPS

The Next version of AMD Vega GPUs will allow for something like Hyper-threading for GPUs, which should improve the OpenCL FP performance more over. NV will not have this option.

You are looking for your GPU to support the display resolution you want to show on your monitors, but also have the OpenCL calculation speed to turn the single precision math the NLE needs help with. The GPU can turn 1000s' of GFLOPs of Single Precision math, when the best CPUs are barely reaching <1 GFLOP.

CPU core count matters for 4K probably due to the amount of threads being dedicated to the decoding of codec and conversion to RGB color space. Vegas operates in an RBG color space, meaning all formats are decoded to RGB, and converted back to the desired output render. That means your NLE system needs to have headroom to handle multiple streams of uncompressed 4K RGB for smooth playback.

If you looked under the hood of VP13 AVCHD it allocated like 8 threads to AVC decoding. 8 threads = 4 Core CPU with HT which is what the minimum called for. Threads do not correlate directly to CPU cores, but you can see where the programmers came up with that setting. The UHD standards are calling for 8 Core CPUs with HT, which means anything below that are going to have a hard time with playback of UHD. If you do not understand the difference between threads and core count, you should do some studying before buying more NLE hardware.

Return to posts index

Chris Wynn
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:23:09 pm

That's crazy, so the 290x is levels more advanced than what I have? I heard that, will look into my options soon.

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:11:53 pm

I am having the exact exact same issue, with similar spec for the PC and with the XAVC sony A7SII... Did you find any solution ?

If you want to check out my work =) : https://vimeo.com/timof

Return to posts index

Chris Wynn
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:22:02 pm

I would assume they are the same. Your GT is levels beyond mine hahahaha. That's probably why. I'll see what I can do though.

Return to posts index

Chris Wynn
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:23:45 pm

Not yet, but I will look into my options and what I can do.

Return to posts index

Timothée Ferreol
on Jan 16, 2017 at 8:31:53 pm

For me, I notice that it is a bit laggy only when I shoot in XAVC at 60fps...

If you want to check out my work =) : https://vimeo.com/timof

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]