FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere vs. Vegas Pro

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Cioffi
Adobe Premiere vs. Vegas Pro
on Jan 9, 2017 at 9:24:45 pm

A new year has begun and I'm resolved (no pun intended) to expand my NLE skills. I'm working my way through a thorough Premiere course and I'm wondering: Is there anything that Vegas does that Premiere can't?

I've built up a pretty large toolbox for Vegas over the years with scripts and plugins from Boris and NewBlue. I was really reliant on Plural Eyes but I found out Premiere has that functionality built in. So Premiere gets one in the plus column right out of the gate.

So is there anyone who uses Vegas for things Premiere can't do? (I understand the downside of the subscription model. That's a feature that thankfully Vegas does not have.)

Have a great day.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
Re: Adobe Premiere vs. Vegas Pro
on Jan 9, 2017 at 10:24:13 pm

I too am in the process of learning Premiere, are you taking a specific course from someplace online?

In my limited comparison at this point, most things can be done in both, but the ease of them varies from program to program.

Let me know how you make out. Once I finish a big edit in the next week, week 1/2, I am looking to "hit the books" in Premiere as well.

Thanks for any input!

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 10, 2017 at 6:16:52 am

Hi,

After the learning course you both will know exactly, if there's anything Vegas can do but Premiere not.
Without knowing Premiere I'd expect it to be in the audio range, if there's any...

What I especially like in Vegas is the quick ability to trim on the timeline, and possible to apply FX on 4 levels:
-Media level
-Event level
-Track level
-Output level
All those have their uses!
...And how the tracks can be organized into parent/child realtionships, and possible to moving the around in groups using parent motion...
Sometimes that comes handy ☺

Are those in Premier present too?

Also, if there's something the opposite, Premier can do, that Vegas can't (other than integration with PS/AE) I'd aprreciate to know about.

Successful, happy learning!
;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:35:34 pm

I am aware that Premiere is deficient in how many audio tracks you can use and also audio FX. I started as a audio guy (and it's still 1/2 my business) prior to video and I NEED to have the ability to use my Waves plugins in editing. I shoot a LOT of events (plays, music based video) and usually have 20+ audio tracks AFTER I mix down the pit and so forth. I treat my dialog and singing differently in a mix as well as needing to be able to blend a full chorus. I usually have:
Leads 1
Leads 2
2nds
3rds
Guys
Girls
Stage L-C-R
and sometimes individual character tracks
and depending on the pit, I may use a stereo mix I do in Cubase or stem it out in 8 or more subgroups
I add two dialog track as well and split them as I go in editing.
I usually have about 6-8 subgroups as well in Vegas and use audio FX's on each track and group
This is one reason I need to keep Vegas around, even if I do my video in another NLE.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Rob Cioffi
on Jan 10, 2017 at 3:41:25 pm

It's the little differences....

In Premiere Pro their is no Pause among the transport buttons. Just stop, which acts very much like Pause does on Vegas. Same with when using the spacebar. You can use the space bar to Play a clip but when you hit the spacebar while a clip is playing it stops the playhead dead, like Pause or the enter key would do in Vegas. Apparantly I'm not the first PP user to not warm up to this:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2084562

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 12, 2017 at 10:12:21 pm

Well both are great programs, and both have there downsides.... I've used them all, but Vegas has a very
familiar feel, and for that i choose to stick with it, it has shortcomings yes, but i offset that with external plugins
and scripts. Plus now 80% of the plugins market are now compatible with Vegas, so nothing really is no longer a problem!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Jay Zee
on Jan 17, 2017 at 11:40:54 pm

Vegas is vastly superior in just ease of getting basic things done, it is more direct, more WYSIWYG, and functions like audio programs, as that is its roots. Also, the audio is much more flexible and less clunky.

There may indeed be some things Premiere excells in, (I just can't get past the clunkiness of the interface, so I don't really use it that much) and one would be interfacing with AE, though I use AE and just import files into my Vegas timeline. So, for me, not that huge, but if you want that interfacing, you have it.

Premiere may be more flexible with certain codecs, but Vegas is not bad, not at all. Playback may be a bit better in Premier, YMMV depending on your machine/graphics card. This will remain fluid, let's see what Magix does in this department, they are pretty good with some of their other products.

I use both, only because I am an Adobe subscriber (mainly for AE and PS etc.)

I am very anxious, again, to see what effect the new ownership by Magix, a German software company whose audio flagship, Samplitude, I do use, and I love that. Super features, super good on resources.

Anyway, just my two cents. For easy, straight forward stuff, Vegas beats everyone. Beyond that, it's all about what you're producing and what other tools you use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]