FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multicamera Editing

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Allen
Multicamera Editing
on Jan 9, 2017 at 8:53:36 pm

I am attempting a 2-video-track high-definition edit. The multicamera track was successfully created, multicamera editing successfully enabled, and a second monitor successfully shows the output of the selected source when clicked. However, after about 15 minutes my screens freeze up. Action is freeze frame and none of the buttons respond. The audio continues fine. The only way I can get out of the program is through the PC's task manager.

Vegas Pro 13 (build 453) running on a H-P Z230 work station with 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60 GHz cpu, 16 GB of internal memory, 4TB hard drive, NVidia Quadro K2200 graphics card.

No other software other than the minimum anti-virus (Avast) is running in the background. Is it me? The computer? Or the Vegas?

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Multicamera Editing
on Jan 9, 2017 at 10:52:49 pm

What's the media?

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:11:43 am

1080p AVCHD .mts files from a Panasonic camcorder.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:45:02 am

Yeesh. .MTS... Its probably ac-3(mp3) audio too.

I would try converting some clips to xdcam-ex.mxf, HDCAM-sr-lite.mxf, or cineform.avi. Then trying some multi-cam editing again, see if that makes any difference.

Since you have an old NV k2200 GPU, keep GPU disabled in preferences. The k2200 barely meets the Vegas minimum GFLOPs, and comes from the era of NV not supporting OpenCL well. Use it only for display.

If that stuff does not work, I would starting checking for system errors in windows logs, running SFC /scannow, make sure all your .NETs are updated, and the last revision of your BIOS, and GPU drivers. Memtest86 thru a full 10 pass, to check for errors or mem controller errors. Check DPC latency is good, which should show if you have a bad driver that is acting up.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Jan 10, 2017 at 5:17:33 am

>> after about 15 minutes my screens freeze up.

How long is the timeline your doing in Multicam ? ..

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 10, 2017 at 6:03:42 am

I have other issue with multicam editing, namely GPU is not utilized at all, if multicam enabled, and output to secondary monitor is enabled too.
That's with the most recent (?) build of Vegas 14. (Magix support request fired...)
You could download GPU-Z, and check whether GPU is used at all in your situation? (It has thermal reading also, so if GPU gets overheated somehow you'll know...)
BTW. did you receive any video driver update recently? (Possible rollback?)
How do you mean "after 15 mins"?
15 minutes of work after you loaded your project, regardless of where the playhead is, or is it near 15 mins on the timeline?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:22:21 pm

My timeline is two and a half hours long. After syncing, I created the multi-camera tracks with no problem. I was impressed with how little time it took to render. Then I enabled multi-camera editing. Still no problem.

I am using a two-monitor setup -- the second monitor displaying full frame of the selected shot. My PC seems to be able to handle that without strain.

The video freeze-up of the screens occurred approximately 15 minutes into the continuous playback phase while I was selecting cameras. The audio track continued.

The only way I was able to recover was to end the application with Task Manager. I am happy that when I restarted Vegas, I discovered that the synchronized tracks had been saved. Apparently (correct me if I am wrong) the edits I had successfully completed cannot be recovered.

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 1:27:16 pm

The freeze-up was *not* in the same spot for all attempts. One time it was 28 minutes in, one time it was only 5 minutes in.

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 12:52:48 pm

The timeline is two and a half hours.

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Jan 10, 2017 at 4:23:45 pm

It sounds like you have "autosave" enabled in your General Preferences. This is adding to the load as you try to do the multicam edit. You're trying to save the project while you are working on the fly. Uncheck the autosave in General Preferences and see if that helps. It may not be the total answer, but it may help. You should be saving your project regularly on your own.

Can you consider breaking this into smaller sections? Personally, I like to keep any timeline to less than ten minutes, then rendering to a loseless format and assembling the whole piece. There are many advantages to working this way.

I don't use Multicam edit. But, I've tried it. I know how it works. IT sort of reminds me of the days long ago when I did some Television directing in studio with a three camera setup. "Ready on one. Take one. Pan left two. That's it. Hold.. Coming at you two. Take two" We'd roll tape and do a half hour show straight through "live". Later, when viewing it, we'd dream about being able to do things like film editors, getting that cut just right. Of course in Multicam editing you don't have control of the cameras. The problem may be that Camera one has a lousy shot and you need to switch away to Camera two to cover. But I see the advantage to doing "live" performance videos this way, especially when working with time constraints.

Are you trying to go through the entire 2 1/2 hours in one go without stopping?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 10, 2017 at 6:02:08 pm

Smetimes (say 5-6 times a year) I shoot some stage recording for schools. These are 2..3 cam shots, and Vegas10/14 never froze as described. The timeline is than 1 to 3 hours long. So that should not be the problem.
I suspect something with video driver, but I'm not sure of course...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 9:10:13 pm

Thank you, Paul, I will disable autosave and try again, I will also not use the second monitor.

I am new to Vegas Pro. I used to use Pinnacle Studio 14. My subject matter is 3-hour musical stage productions with one wide shot and one closeup. The closeup camera jumps non-artistically from one performer to another, so I cut away to the wide shot during the transitions. One reason I upgraded to Vegas is so I can add a *third* camera shooting from a different angle and covering less area than the wide shot. Now, when I cut the "bad" video from the closeup camera out of the primary video track, I can preview which of the other cameras to go to instead of just relying on the second track always to be good. Multi-camera editing makes that easy. Otherwise, I could have stayed with Pinnacle.

As far as editing shorter segments and then, as an added step, dubbing the results in line, I might have to do that. I was hoping that my investment in Vegas Pro and an HP-Z230 with 16 GB of memory and a Quadro graphics card would make it so I wouldn't have to.

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Jan 10, 2017 at 4:43:23 pm

"GPU is not utilized at all, if multicam enabled, and output to secondary monitor is enabled too"

Are you saying the OpenCL benefits of the GPU are disabled in this mode? Because the secondary monitor is a function of GPU operation.

I had not noticed this while multicam editing on my system. Could it something to do with the source format you are editing? I only do multicam with an intermediate format in .MXF like xdcam, hdcam, or AVC-intra. Cineform would be a good choice too because it's an intra frame format.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 10, 2017 at 5:59:06 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately yes ☹
I posted Magix my screenshots about various situations where CPU/GPU loads are visible.
My footages are fullHD AVC (50p from my JVC HM600, 25p from a Canon XA10).

Read CPU/GPU loads (also note preview fps and secondary monitor toggle):

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 10, 2017 at 9:23:58 pm

Would disabling the Media Manager take a significant strain off of the system?

Return to posts index

David Eon
on Jan 12, 2017 at 7:12:11 am

Try this. Press space bar and wait for a bit. Sometimes the playback will get ahead of itself and pausing the playback will allow it to "catch up". I would NOT disable auto-save if you are having freeze-ups. I recommend that you pause, save, and continue editing frequently to make sure you do have the most up to date edits in case of freeze.

Return to posts index

Mark Allen
on Jan 12, 2017 at 5:40:52 pm

Update: I split my 2+ hour timeline into five 30-minute projects and multi-camera editing now works! However, I have a new problem. See my thread entitled "rendering."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]