FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printer recommendation

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Murphy
Printer recommendation
on Jan 7, 2017 at 3:13:11 am

My apologies in advance. I tried to find a more appropriate section of COW to post this, but could not find anything. So, I decided to post on this forum, where in the past I have received much helpful info related to Sony Vegas.

I am concerned that my Epson R220 printer may soon stop functioning. I am wondering what printers others would recommend for printing on DVDs. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help. Happy New Year! Jim

Vegas Pro 12 DVDA 6 Excalibur 6

Dell 3.4 GHz Intel® 3rd Generation Core™ i7
12GB RAM

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Printer recommendation
on Jan 7, 2017 at 9:29:11 am

Hi
I use a Canon IP7250, but with continous ink supply system.
The print quality is very good both for disks and covers.
The device is capable to print approx. 7000 discs with covers, then variuos problems appear.
This printer "hacked" with a CISS costs about 100€, then the inks consumed for the 7000 discs + covers add up another 140..150€, but this is dependent on the printed designs. I print colorful, dark discs, covers. The printing speed is quicker, than the burning speed of my 2 burners, so I'm limited to approx 16 discs/hour by my burners, not the printer.
If you are looking for an affordable printing solution, the IP7250 is the best, I think.
(I'm using the 3rd of it now -as I have to buy a new one every ~7000 disc-, did not find a better since...)
So, the printing is almost free (0.03..0.04€ / disc), the CISS has the drawback, that you have to use it every week, otherwise some clogging may arise.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jan 7, 2017 at 3:48:11 pm

Hi Jim,

I use an Epson Artisan 1430 with Epson ink. It works pretty well, never had any problems. However, if your primary need is to print DVD's and have no use for paper/prints larger than 8.5x11, there are other Epsons in that size with the same DVD print capability. I use the 1430 for prints as large as 13x19, so it works for me.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 7, 2017 at 8:54:09 pm

Hi George,

How fast does that Epson print for you? Last time when I had to look for another printer (I change my Canon every 1,5..2 years because it simply wears out) I considered EPSON L850, which looked a great printer.
But when we tried it - the salesman in the shop had a demo printer ready to use. The print quality on paper was definiteley far superior to what my Canon can do, but it took forever to print a disc, so that I didn't choose it. I got the Canon again :)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:27:20 am

Hi László

I would rate the speed as slow, but I haven't used any other printer to compare it to. The printing speed itself doesn't seem to bad, but it does take it's time registering the disc alignment. I'm using the Epson software that came with the printer. I don't really print very many disc (most videos go on a thumb drive), but when I do it is relatively flawless.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 8, 2017 at 4:22:35 am

I have never felt a need for printing larger than 8.5 x 11, mostly just DVD cases for customers. Thanks for your ideas, and I will look into this printer also. Jim

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:46:09 pm

I use a Canon IP5300 and after printing about 500 discs I have noticed that the DVD tray mechanism is starting to struggle. I also print on Aqua Ace DVD's, but the rollers leave marks. This happened on the 2 previous Canon's as well, and would be interested to know if any other brands of printer DON'T do this.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:31:31 am

Hi Nigel,

My Epson 1430 doesn't leave any marks, the printing is flawless. However, I have probably only printed about 200 disc on it, so have no idea what the life of the printer is for printing disc. I have printed quite a bit of large prints, but haven't kept a count! So, take my experience with a grain of salt.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 8, 2017 at 4:27:07 am

I had a similar problem with an HP printer that I had to give up on. My trusty old Epson R220 (actually I had 4 of them other the years; there was a time when it was cheaper to buy the R220 with ink than it was to buy the ink alone!!) never smudged a DVD. All the best, Jim

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 8, 2017 at 4:19:13 am

I could get the Canon IP7250 for a really nice price now. I would probably just use the Canon inks, because I do not produce nearly as many as you.

What software do you use to design the surface pictures of the DVD?

I am assuming the rollers do not leave a mark/smudge on the surface of the DVD, as another person posted. (I had a similar problem with an HP printer that I tried to use previously. )

Thanks for your suggestions. Jim

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:02:35 pm

Hi Jim,

[Jim Murphy] "(actually I had 4 of them other the years; there was a time when it was cheaper to buy the R220 with ink than it was to buy the ink alone!!)"

If you buy a new printer, the ink tanks are never filled with the smae amount of ink, they contain only the half or 1/3 of the cartridges you buy separately afterwards.

For graphics work I use my outdated Photoshop CS2.
I can provide you a .psd with the "empty" disc, if you want me to. ☺
If you print just a few discs a month, say 5.10 you are probably OK with Canon ink.
If your printing demand is closer to the range say, 50..100 a month, I'd go for refillable cartridges.
Canon inks tend to be too expensive. Just avoid EZprint, that ink results washed colors, and in few months will kills the printhead. Orink is much better, but I found a guy over here, who has his own recipe for the ink's, the colors are very close to the original Canon inks, but the price is 1/100, and he also guarantees that those inks won't kill the printhead... I buy my inks from him for years, and I never regret.
I may ask him if he can ship to other countries - again, if you want me to...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 8, 2017 at 6:25:36 pm

Laszlo,

How kind of you to offer to send the .psd template. I am using an older version of PhotoShop Elements, but that should work. I would really appreciate that. My email address is: jmurph623@yahoo.com. My business is winding down, and the discs I print are pretty limited now. I will most likely stick with Canon inks. If I change my mind, I will contact you for info on your ink source.

Thank you for some very helpful information. All the best, Jim

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 8, 2017 at 8:18:36 pm

Hi,

Just sent the mail.

:)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 8, 2017 at 9:00:18 pm

Got it. Thanks so much.

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

Jim Murphy
on Jan 10, 2017 at 4:37:42 pm

I ordered the IP7250 yesterday from Amazon. Thanks again for the recommendation. Jim

12GB RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]