Derek Charles
Please Save me Time in Vegas
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:14:22 am

I shoot with an a7sii 24p 3840 X 2160 @ 100Mbps
MY final render will be for 1080 web viewing

My computer cant handle 4k but when I drop my 4k clips into Vegas
I still just Match the project properties settings to 4k
I do this for two reasons.

1- I hear stabilizing while editing in 4k gives better results (on having to zoom in less resolution)
2 - If I want to save a 4k jpeg screenshot.

Obviously changing properties to 1080 after first dropping footage in will ease editing,
but am I losing anything by doing this?
Is there a difference from a 4k properties rendered to 1080
than a 1080 properties rendered to 1080
What should my Steps be?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Please Save me Time in Vegas
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:32:30 am

"but am I losing anything by doing this?"
Not really, there are other solutions yes, but when all is said and done,
your rendered output will still look great.... you are comfortable with that workflow,
so work with that.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:45:10 am

Yes editing in 1080 is more comfortable
but
I'm losing the screenshot 4k jpeg resolution unless I switch project properties back to 4k -
and
I'm losing stabilization and cropping (re framing) resolution by editing in 1080

So these are big things that make me think... Why not just shoot in 1080 if I'm editing in 1080?

So really, the only benefit in shooting in 4k downscaling final render to 1080 shooters have is the bitrate?
50Mbits for 1080
instead of
100Mbits in 4k

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Jan 4, 2017 at 12:09:22 pm

"So really, the only benefit in shooting in 4k downscaling final render to 1080 shooters have is the bitrate?"

You get at least 2 other benefits shooting in 4K, the final fhd output render will be of higher quality than initially if shot in fhd, and crop/zoom/pan capability within 4K while editing is also going to give higher quality output than if you crop/zoom/pan on a fhd input file.

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:14:39 pm

But I'm editing in 1080 is the thing. So It's treating the footage as if it was shot in 1080, so, there is no advantage to cropping. Also, the bit rate is the only thing that would make the 4k to 1080 footage better, since again I'm editing on a 1080 timeline...

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Jan 5, 2017 at 5:13:37 pm

Editing in 1080p doesn't mean the 4k footage magically becomes 1080p though. The footage stays what it was shot at until you render it out to something else, in this case 1080p. So you can set the Vegas timeline to 1080p, drop in your 4k footage, crop a shoot say 25%, and it's still well higher resolution than 1080p, so you're still getting the best quality in the 1080p you finally export to.

So yes, shooting in 4K and stabilizing (which naturally crops the image a little) will technically be higher quality than doing it in 1080, but how often you need that and how noticeable a difference it makes versus the amount of data it takes up on your drives and the hassle of editing 4k footage is entirely up to you. As both a camera op and an editor I hate when people just say "fix it in post" when it's a lot easier for me to just frame the shot in the camera that way I want it, but those are the breaks sometimes.

As for the bitrate of 4k being an "advantage" I'm not so sure. It's double the bitrate but it's 4x the amount of pixels it's recording, so it's kind of a wash. If your camera has a great lens and sensor, then the 1080p footage it records should (in theory) look as good as its 4k footage after rendering it out to 1080p. Since the 1080p footage would have to be edited and presumably rendered out to 1080p at a different bitrate anyway, it may look worse or the same.

Return to posts index

Derek Charles
on Jan 6, 2017 at 9:29:59 am

Thanks David, that makes sense to me -

I'll still just shoot in 4k and just drop into a 1080.
Admittedly for my handheld run n gun style, I stabilize 80% of my clips though...
It may be best to stabilize everything first on a 4k timeline, then drop those clips onto a 1080...

What about I hear it's better to shoot in 60p when I want to stabilize, because it gives it more frames to work with when stabilizing?
I usually edit all of my 60p on a 1080 60p timeline
slow down the footage to 0.4x playback,
then export that to 24p,
then drop that on a 1080 24p timeline - even if I'm not slowing the footage down,
I still stabilize the 60
export to 24p
drop new clips on 24p timeline.
(I know I should shoot in 24p if I'm not slowing down, but for stabilizing purposes...) plus Sometimes I just decide later if I'll slow it down or not.)
Are those the right steps? I should be good to go!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]