FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS pass through DV camcorder to Sony Vegas

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Wildhaber
VHS pass through DV camcorder to Sony Vegas
on Jan 3, 2017 at 3:55:27 pm

I have several VHS tapes that I want to put to DVD for a friend. I have a Sony camcorder with RCA in jacks and a firewire output. i am using Sony Vegas 9 Pro. I have done this several times in the past without any problems but as I try it now, Sony video capture says to put a tape in the camera. I turned on the AV/DV setting in the camera but it does not let me capture unless I put a tape in the camcorder and when I do that, it just captures what is on the tape. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have more than one DV camera that has firewire but none will let me capture. I would really appreciate it if someone could please tell me what I am doing wrong.
Thank you very much
Ron Wildhaber

Ron

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: VHS pass through DV camcorder to Sony Vegas
on Jan 3, 2017 at 4:00:42 pm

Ron, I'm shaking my VHS brain cell awake.

We can't control the stream that gets going through your Pas Thru'. Setup. So, I had to start the VHS tape until I could see it on my screen then go capture.

Does that help?

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 3, 2017 at 6:22:53 pm

Hi,
For me there was a setting "enable device control" in Vidcap.
Having it enabled was much easyer to capture from dv tapes, but it was required to disable to capture analog through my advc55., otherwise it didn't work at all.
May be you could try disable it too, when you want to use the "passthrough"?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Ron Wildhaber
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:49:35 pm

Thanks for the response Grazie. After the VCR is playing, I see video on the LCD on the camcorder but nothing on the Vidcap screen. If I switch to Unscreen Capture then back to Microsoft DV Camera and VCR the screen on Vidcap will show what is going through the camcorder but only for a second or two. Also if I switch to another screen on my computer and then back to Vidcap the image will show but just a second. This seems strange. I am going to try a different video cable to see if that makes any difference. The Firewire is good as I just finished capturing a bunch of tape from 8 & 16mm conversions.

Ron

Return to posts index

Ron Wildhaber
on Jan 3, 2017 at 8:59:49 pm

I found the problem. I forgot to uncheck Enable DV device control in my preferences. I need to make notes on this so if down the road I need to do it again I will know as I cant seem to remember things like this if I don't do it for a long period of time. Part of being a dinosaur, I guess.
Thanks Grazie and Laszlo for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Ron

Ron

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Jan 3, 2017 at 9:03:48 pm

[Ron Wildhaber] "I forgot to uncheck Enable DV device control in my preferences."
Oh yes.... That's what I grimly remembered when I alluded to we can't control the stream.

Real glad you got there.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Jan 4, 2017 at 5:52:10 am

I never had a camera with passthrough, so I was totally unsure that this setting will help you ☺
...but had my HVR-V1 for years with which I captured lot's of tapes, including DV tapes, and had (still have) my ADVC-55 wich didn't work with device control enabled...

I'm really glad we could help! ☺

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]