FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best approach for these camera problems?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Best approach for these camera problems?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 7:01:55 am

I'm back from an Asian holiday where I had no end of problems with cameras. My Sony HD camcorder said it's 240gb HDD was full & refused to record more even though it wan no where near full. I switched to my portable Lumix which I normally use for stills. I started shooting video & soon used up the SD Card. This camera had a problem of not turning on/off as easily as it should & this sometimes means missing a shot or having a shot that lasted much longer than Intended. The balance was shot on my phone. At least I had all of the times synchronized on them & they could all shoot 1080p.

I tried importing all videos & stills into one folder where I thought that since they all had synchronized time date they should allow them to be sorted in sequence that they were taken. Windows 10 had other ideas & dated everything with the time/date they were transferred to PC. I wanted to name all clips of both type with the places location. I knew that if I imported them all in Photoshop elements I could see thumbnails & normally just change place names, or time/date of any group. I even eventually found a small utility that allows me to change file attributes & I corrected some files this way.

The next step as I see it is to rid myself of the video clips that were much too long because the camera didn't stop correctly. I can't see any point keeping a clip where I might wish to keep a clip where I need 5-6 seconds but was recorded for 45 seconds.. I though of putting all video clips on timeline selecting in/out points & just rendering each of these clips & giving the render the same name number of the original but with an a added to end of name.

Is there any better way to do this?

Some of these things could be done with the old Sony Program PMB that came with cameras, but this program now appears to be dead. The replacement program Play Memories appears to have lots of problems & even within the past month many people have been offered a slew of possible solutions from Sony that that might work , like try this or try that.

Even plugging my Camcorder to get clips off of it was a problem as the PC didn't recognize the camcorder. I eventually got the clips I wanted off the camera just by plugging a WD passport drive directly into the camera. I still don't know what to do with the camcorder. I don't know if its stuffed, should I try reformatting it's drive etc.

I suppose that what I could also try to do is just it all on timeline & try to render out my video & tell the program to also keep a copy of all media used in project & once that's done delete my original folder that had everything.

Does anyone have any advise re any of the points raised.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
Re: Best approach for these camera problems?
on Jan 3, 2017 at 10:09:13 am

Hi Paul

To better your chances of a reply, I suggest that you go to the camera forum. This forum is for the editing end of things. If you had a model #, I could point you to the proper forum.

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Jan 4, 2017 at 9:47:30 am

Francois is right, try over there!
But as for me, i would simply handle everything from the timeline.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jan 5, 2017 at 12:35:51 am

I have looked at the list of Forums and I don't see any for Sony cameras. What forum are you suggesting?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:33:12 am

Hi Paul

What is you camcorder's model # ?

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jan 5, 2017 at 3:38:06 am

The camera is a Sony HRD-WR550.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Jan 5, 2017 at 10:23:40 am

Hi Paul

I will assume that there is a typo and you meant XR550.

This is a long shot but you could try this Sony Utility that works very well with Vegas (at least it did up V12, I haven't tried it since) It was originally designed for the MRC-1K unit but I do remember using it when I transferred some file off of a Sony camcorder for someone.

Here's the link:

https://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/ext/hdv/z7u_s270u_m35u/HVR-Z7U/unit_software.h...

If that doesn't work, a Google search (with a lot of patience) is your best bet.

Good luck !

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 7, 2017 at 12:48:16 am

"Some of these things could be done with the old Sony Program PMB that came with cameras, but this program now appears to be dead. The replacement program Play Memories appears to have lots of problems & even within the past month many people have been offered a slew of possible solutions from Sony that that might work , like try this or try that. "

I think I responded to a previous thread on the same subject and suggested PlayMemories. I don't understand the problems you mention. Just downloaded the latest version and it works without issue on a Win10 system. I've got a couple of Sony Handycams and footage from each can be easily imported. First, however, you must attach your camcorder to your PC with the USB cable inside the strap. This will "register" your camcorder with the software. Afterward, you can import from memory card or whatever without issue. Another option (see pg 57 of the users manual). You will need a special cable, but it does work. After you have transferred your footage to an external device, you can then import your footage directly into PlayMemories. Another thing you might try is to simply install the original PMB software that came with your camera. There is no reason it shouldn't work as well, even though it has been superseded by PlayMemories. I actually liked the older versions better than the newer ones. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:19:31 am

Your correct it was a typo.

As for the link for the other Sony utility I didn't download it or even try to because it seems that the camera has other problems as well. I had been trying to get it to connect to PC using USB again but it would not do so. I checked the camera once again intending to check how many clips there were if I had been successful to do so I'd know approximately how much space I would do so.

As it turned out the screen isn't displaying any video clips at all . Its as if the HDD got reformatted. I tried shooting a scene for playback. It appeared to be recording correctly but when I switched back to playback I had nothing. This probably means that the camera is now stuffed.If this did happen it will be the third Sony product that has failed recently.

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Jan 7, 2017 at 11:51:10 pm

[Paul Gregory] "I had been trying to get it to connect to PC using USB again but it would not do so."

My experience with Sony cameras is that not all USB cables will work with them. I noticed some 'connected' the camera but the PC would not recognise it. I had to go through a few cables to find the one that worked and I labelled it. As for PMB or Play Memories Home, I have had no issues with either since I sorted out the cable problem.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Jan 8, 2017 at 2:34:30 am

Nigel is correct. You do need a special cable--USB Adaptor Cable VMC-UAM1--it's about $20 as I recall. A regular USB extension cable would not work for me as well.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
on Jan 8, 2017 at 2:49:09 am

I still have the the USB cable that came with camera. One end goes into side of camera just above the HDMI port. The other end of this cable is USB female. To plug into PC you need a USB male plug. I have several of these cords that are m/m. I have tried them all to no avail.

I have a friend that has the same camera & he can't get either my or his camera to his PC. I have now tried the small utility for connecting but nothing happens.

Could I use the HDMI port to connect & transfer to the PC or failing this I might be able to record directly onto the timeline using Vegas?

One thing is for certain that this isn't just an isolated incident, as evidenced by lots of other asking same/similar connection problems on the web & Sony's response is mainly try this or that or that etc etc. I can't even take the camera into a Sony shop here in town as they have all closed. Last month while in Singapore,before I had problem I went into their big new store where the staff that I talked to were unaware that Sony even made software.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]