FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transferring data from Sony Canmera

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Gregory
Transferring data from Sony Canmera
on Dec 24, 2016 at 12:33:32 am

​​I was on holiday recently in Asia with my Sony camera an HDR XR 550 when it refused ​to take anymore video even though the 240gb HDD wasn't full. Since getting home I've tried ​various ways ​to get the data off of it​.​

The old ​PMB software has been retired and replaced with ​Play ​Memories but if you've been to ​their website in recent times you find that people can't get it to work on Windows 10 ​or even ​Windows 7 and even Sony is still posting things in the last few weeks about people trying to get any of their software to work​. I stopped in a new Sony shop in Singapore that had all the latest gadgets and most of the staff were totally unaware tha​t the company ever made software

Eventually ​I ​was able to stick at passport drive into the side of the machine and it recognize it and I was able to transfer all of my files off onto it​ The only problem with this is that even though the camera still could show and display my clips sorted on the calendar the copy that was made on to the hard drive all says that they were created at the time of the transfer this may not be a Sony problem but another of those stupid ​things that goes along with Windows 10​.​

I had already transferred stills from other cameras that were taken on the same holiday into one folder each of which had sorted them by time taken​.​ ​Is there anyway to alter what have now transferred onto the hard drive to have it display the correct date at least that it was taken​?​

It seems it's lost all of the details that it had before including the date the settings and anything else that you had along with GPS data​.​

I've got a friend who also has a similar ​camera & he it ​is wondering if he were to clear the data on his cameras hard drive is it possible to transfer data back onto it not sure exactly ​why he wants to do this it but that was a question so I thought I'd ask it at the same time​?​

It would be nice to know if I can get the date correct on what I've transferred from this, and any of the other data but this seems to be just one more problem in a ​long ​line of problems that I've had with Sony since I started dealing with them over 40 years ago without exception every pro​duct has had problems​ usually many times. I must be a slow learner.​

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
Re: Transferring data from Sony Canmera
on Dec 24, 2016 at 1:03:52 am

"I've got a friend who also has a similar ​camera & he it ​is wondering if he were to clear the data on his cameras hard drive is it possible to transfer data back onto it not sure exactly ​why he wants to do this it but that was a question so I thought I'd ask it at the same time​?​"

This is one thing I would NOT do for sure. It is very doubtful that the camera would re-create the structures necessary to make sense of all of your camera files.

I presume that your data is still on the camera? When you copied your data to a external drive, did you use the built-in Sony camera capability (assuming your camera supports that functionality) to transfer to an external drive without use of a computer? If so, you should be able to use PMB to import your files and it should convert them to the correct date and time. I've used Sony PMB in the past without issue in Win 7, although I've not tried it in Win 10.

If all else fails, you may be able to at least convert the filename to the correct time by using the Time Created in your files, unless it was overwritten when you copied.

One other thought. Have you tried connecting your camera to your PC and then importing the files directly into Vegas? I've never done this, but Vegas does support direct import.

I really think your best best is to get the Sony software to work. You may be able to find an older version or you should have the original version that came with the camera. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

wwaag

Return to posts index

Paul Gregory
Re: Transferring data from Sony Camera
on Dec 24, 2016 at 2:14:01 am
Last Edited By Paul Gregory on Dec 26, 2016 at 5:14:58 am

I tried installing the 'Play Memories' software on both a Windows 10 & an Windows 7 & neither would work. From what I reading on the web it isn't working for many others as well.

I have managed to get the video files off the Camera by just plugging a WD Passport drive into camera. I had tried connecting the camera straight to my PS's & settings cameras output to USB but that didn't work for on either PC. I can see all of the thumbnails on PC for each clip in Windows Explorer but the only date displayed is the set to time it was copied to PC. I have tried turning an all of the other relevant columns that Windows should display like date take, camera model. etc etc but they all appear blank.

I do have a small workaround. I have compared the cameras thumbnail to the files copied onto PC & make a note of first & last file number for each day. I then import each of the files into Photoshop Elements where I can select the files for each day & reset the date name for each file. I don't get to know the time however but at least its a start.

I

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]