FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas14: Planned fixes/enhancements -- version rollout schedule?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Red-Rob Rothkopf
Vegas14: Planned fixes/enhancements -- version rollout schedule?
on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:38:36 am
Last Edited By Red-Rob Rothkopf on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:39:06 am

Hello!

Can anyone working on Vegas in the Magix team comment on the planned maintenance cycle for Vegas 14?

In particular, I'm wondering:
  • When is the next maintenance release planned to roll out?
  • Is there a list of fixes that are known will be in there?
  • Is there a list of enhancements that are known to be in there?
  • How will we be notified that a new version is available?

Thanks a bunch!
☺ Rob

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Vegas14: Planned fixes/enhancements -- version rollout schedule?
on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:03:53 pm

sorry, most of these particular info you seek, is not yet known...

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Eric Dettman
on Dec 20, 2016 at 7:07:49 pm

We follow Agile development methodologies and therefore do not have a set schedule for releasing updates. Rather, we release an update when we feel that the work we've done is significant enough and benefits enough users to prompt one. We've already had three updates since the initial release which have fixed bugs as well as added new or improved functionality, and a fourth is due within days.

We use several methods to let users know that a new update is available including forum announcements, but you can always visit your user page at http://www.magix.com to check and see if you have the latest build. To download the update, log onto your MAGIX.com account. Then, click MyProduct and click the Installation program link. After the installation is complete, you will have the latest update.

We're committed to VEGAS Pro and that means not only working on future functionality, but also improving the current version so that we can provide the most stable software possible.

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:09:06 pm

Well said Eric...

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Dec 21, 2016 at 5:00:16 am

> We follow Agile development methodologies and therefore do not have a
> set schedule for releasing updates.

For 16 years (leading up to my decision to be a full time life journalist) I worked as software engineer, and lead technologist for a software firm. We switched to Agile methodologies the past many years I was there, so I'm familiar that while still within that paradigm, teams are able to meet production goals. We had lists of critical fixes, and prioritized enhancements and implementation of new designs (and products). Being Agile allowed our team to create deliverable releases if needed, and whole blocks of work could be done and tested without having to wait for the full release to come together.

To say that Agile development disallows scheduled releases I believe may be selling Agile short a bit πŸ˜‰

> Rather, we release an update when we feel that the work we've done is significant
> enough and benefits enough users to prompt one.

That makes sense.

AND -- it seems reasonable (to me) to share your prioritized bug-fix list and enhancements list with customers so they can look forward to the release when it happens, ya? Nothing to gain (IMO) by keeping this info. private.

> We've already had three updates since the initial release which have fixed bugs as
> well as added new or improved functionality, and a fourth is due within days.

Woo hoo! I haven't seen a published release history anywhere, so this isn't something I was aware of.

> We use several methods to let users know that a new update is available including
> forum announcements,

Where? Here on Creative Cow? On a Magix forum somewhere?

> but you can always visit your user page at http://www.magix.com to
> check and see if you have the latest build.

Every time I've done that, even when new builds were available, it says that there are no new updates.

For example, I just checked.
  • Vegas's ABOUT box shows I'm using Version 14.0 (Build 178) 64-bit.
  • Going to the MAGIX Tech. Support "Personal Service Area", in the upper-left is reads "Patches for your products: There are no patches for your registered products available."

This is the same thing it said before I installed Build 178 when it was available.

> To download the update, log onto your MAGIX.com account. Then, click MyProduct and click
> the Installation program link.
> After the installation is complete, you will have the latest update.

Yup. That's how I got the last one installed. The thing is -- I can't find anywhere that it actually tells me *which* version will be downloaded and installed, or the ability to see corresponding release notes (bug fixes and enhancements) so I can tell whether or not I want/need to go through the install process.

> We're committed to VEGAS Pro and that means not only working on
> future functionality, but also improving the current version so that we
> can provide the most stable software possible.

I appreciate that commitment 100%.

Thank you!
😎Rob

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:26:03 pm

RedRob, you probably know that currently your best bet to get info on most of the above is that provided on vegascreativesoftware.info (forum/news section) by a Magix mod or by a couple of volunteer forum "hosts" there.

Return to posts index

Red-Rob Rothkopf
on Dec 21, 2016 at 8:45:17 pm

OOPS.. I totally forgot about that one.

THANK YOU.

Since there are multiple forums, and multiple support and download areas now, it's not really clear where I (we?) need to look for updates and such.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 22, 2016 at 9:46:52 am

πŸ˜’

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Mathias Hoppe
on Dec 22, 2016 at 10:32:19 am

Hi everybody,

We announce every update with notes regarding changes in the news section of our VEGAS community: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/news-forum/

The latest update is build 211. You can find more information about the changes and a download link within this thread: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-14-update-4-build...

Best regards,
Mathias

MAGIX see.feel.hear.create

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]