FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Dailies

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Perez
Syncing Dailies
on Dec 19, 2016 at 6:30:52 pm

I'm shooting double-system sound. What are my options for syncing my audio in V13?

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Syncing Dailies
on Dec 19, 2016 at 6:39:06 pm

Sync by hand .. easy enough if you did clap slates or something like it. I use to do this with the help of the waveform on the live track from the camera. Then I started using two sound recorders and three camera angles so I had three video tracks, three live tracks and two wild audio tracks to sync to each other.

Now I use a plugin for Vegas called PluralEyes. It does a great job most of the time but it still helps to understand double system editing. If you do a lot of this, PluralEyes, while not perfect, is worth the money.

Return to posts index

Dave Turnidge
on Dec 19, 2016 at 7:24:53 pm

Pluraleyes... magic... I use it once a week. My brother used it on a project with 18+ videos and audios... It took a while - but was able to line them all up. Once you see it you'll never go back...

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:59:00 am

Hi,

At first step, I just drag the events on the timeline, until the waveforms look to match.
When something is quiet, Shift-arrow up can help, that will magnify the sound.
When the waveforms look like "lined up", pan one track to left, the other to right completely.
This makes the sound something ike bouncy echoed (from left to right or the opposite), and it is clearly audible which is faster or delayed. Zoom in the timeline enough, and while playing back press 4/6 on the numpad few times (that moves the selected event) , so that the echo gets minimal. Done: audio are in sync, reset the pan.
If there are more than 2 records to sync I take one as a kind of master, and sync the other tacks to that one with this procedure, one at a time, and mute the the rest.
Once the events are synced, I group them.
Syncing a 3 cam shot (3 audio tracks) takes approx. 3 minutes this way ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

John Perez
on Dec 20, 2016 at 11:25:17 am

Ok. Great. I'll report back my results.

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Dec 20, 2016 at 5:57:01 pm

László .. You're a marvel. A PluralEyes hold out. I use to work this way too .. Still do on occasion when it's faster to sync by hand on something simple. No matter what, it's good experience to understand sync, double system and the use of sound recorders to improve audio tracks when the camera is not going to give you decent sound.

>>Shift-arrow up

Never knew about Shift-arrow up. Terrific. That will be helpful when spotting editing points on interviews etc on stuff that's been poorly recorded. Thanks!

Paul

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 20, 2016 at 9:26:17 pm

Hi Paul!

Thanks for your kind words, but I don't feel as a marvel. 😉
If we both were thinking about an efficient way to push that hundred tons rock out of the way to the cave, we both would invent the wheel, without knowing each other :)))
Over 10 years with Vegas behind me I already have some experience, and developed, learned few things how to do. I know, I still have a lot to learn ☺

I don't use a separate sound recorder, but always trick the good sound into my cameras. I attach to the local sound system via cables or transmitter, or set up my own microphones near the stage, or do both, combining them and mix in post. If it's only live performance, my own mics sometimes do better job (not always), if the performance is on a prerecorded material -say the talent(s) dance to a music- I always ask for the CD/mp3/Wav/ etc. they used, and use that as part of my audio track (of course I have to sync it properly as well).
I think in my praxis this situation is the closest to what you call double system recordnig?
Anyway, I have to sync quite a few times, and it never takes that much time, compared to the time my other editing tasks take, it is negligible.

In my previous post I forgot to mention that sometimes there may be another method for syncing, this is the visual method using the video tracks. That may work too. ☺
Once I had the luck, that someone shot a photo just after I started my cams, so that flashlight got recorded on both cams. It was a stage recording, and in the dimmed light that flashlight was very well noticable, and provided me an excellent sync point :)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]