FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxies are twice the size of the original file!

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed Horn
Proxies are twice the size of the original file!
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:06:35 am

Just started trying to use proxies in Vegas 14. Vegas Help and all of the YouTube tutorials say right click on the file in the media bin and choose "create video proxy". With my system it takes a 4.19G file 19 minutes to create a proxie. The problem is, the resulting proxy output file is 9.2Gs! I have gone through the Vegas help and confirmed I am following the directions properly. I am using AVCHD files from a pal Panasonic 160, dropping them on the timeline and allowing the project properties to match the media properties. Where am I going wrong? What I have read the forums, and many times I have seen references to "pick a different codec" as a solution. Is that possible in Vegas?
Thank you in advance.

Interl Core i7-6700 CPU @3.40GHZ, 16G ram
Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 4 (max 4)
Number of threads 8 (max 8)
Name Intel Core i7 6700
Codename Skylake
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
Memory 4096

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Proxies are twice the size of the original file!
on Dec 19, 2016 at 5:58:27 am

Can you post the Media Info details on your source files?

The Proxy format is xdcam I think. So if your source media is recorded at say 12Mbs AVCHD with AC3 audio (MP3,) then your proxy files will be larger. Xdcam is 35-50Mbs with uncompressed audio.

Proxying is really meant to work 4K material or really high bitrate formats, by creating a proxy file that is much smaller than the original.

Converting your AVCHD to something like xdcam or cineform.avi intermediates will provide a smoother, more stable editing experience.

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Dec 19, 2016 at 9:48:09 am

Are proxies played smoothly in Vegas? If yes, why bother?
Or you're worrying about the disk space they consume?

Return to posts index

Dave Haynie
on Dec 20, 2016 at 6:30:52 am

Something has to give.

You can make a proxy in any format you like, of course. But let's say we start with AVC encoded HD at 24Mb/s. That's pretty standard, and AVC is computationally complex to decode... worse, still, if you're got 4K original source material.

So you want to transcode your AVC into something that will speed up your editing -- that's the usual thing. That AVC runs around 12GB/hour. So what to do with a proxy?

Well, most people think, ok, I'll render to a less computationally intensive format, so my edits are faster. Now, you could pick MPEG-2 at 24Mb/s, and that would be fine, and exactly the same size as your original files. But it's not going to look at good. And since it doesn't look as good, there's probably no default template for rendering that format. You might pick, say, MPEG-2 at 50Mb/s, Cineform at 50Mb/s, DNxHD at 144Mb/s, etc.... those are going to grow substantially. The latter two also give you I-Frame-only encoding, which makes things faster still.

The other option is to downrez. Chop your 4K to 1080p or 720p or whatever gives you the speed you want. Maybe the proxy is smaller, but is the proxy good enough for editing? I recall the early days of HDV... I was transcoding HDV proxies to DV, because that was fast editing. But bascially the same size, and lower quality (SD vs HD, naturally).

Any proxy format that's not larger is going to either be lower quality or more computationally intensive.

-Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]