FORUMS: list search recent posts

How big of a HDD do I need to render uncompressed in Sony Vegas?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Hinderscheid
How big of a HDD do I need to render uncompressed in Sony Vegas?
on Dec 15, 2016 at 12:49:09 am

If I understand correctly if I import a 45GB Blu-Ray file and add absolutely no edits of any kind to it and just render uncompressed, it should come out as exactly 45GB, right?

If I'm wrong please tell me, but if that's correct, what happens if I simply just cut/trim out some scenes in the movie and then render uncompressed? Shouldn't it then come to even less then 45GB? If so, wouldn't a 1TB HDD be enough space to render uncompressed for just a few of those scenarios?

The only reason I'm interested in rendering uncompressed isn't because of the quality, but because of the speed, I'm under the impression that rendering uncompressed is the fastest. It would really mean a lot to me if anyone could please educate me, your input would be much appreciated. ☺

-Paul

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
Re: How big of a HDD do I need to render uncompressed in Sony Vegas?
on Dec 15, 2016 at 2:16:25 am

Nope. The blu-ray files are compressed mpeg, typically h.264.

Uncompressed 1920 x 1080 24p is about 9 GB PER MINUTE. (Try your own test render of a few seconds to confirm this.)

Return to posts index

Paul Hinderscheid
on Dec 15, 2016 at 3:13:21 am

Thank you for letting me know, I appreciate it. That's unfortunate as I can only afford a 1TB HDD.

What's the fastest render with little compression I could do? So the less compression the faster the render is, right? So if I had a 45GB Blu-Ray file is there a render setting that would keep close to the original file size or only a little over such as 50GB instead of 45GB and still render fast?

-Paul

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:00:19 am

Paul,

What you need is software that does "smart-rendering". In other words, it only re-renders those areas near your cut-points and simply copies the rest. Vegas is not the software you want to use since it will most likely "re-render" everything. And certainly, you would not want to re-render "Uncompressed". You should try something like VideoReDo TV Suite or TMPGEnc's MPEG Smart Renderer. Both of these do smart-rendering and the time required is relatively quick since it's mostly a matter of copying. There should be no problem with a 1 TB HD. They both provide a free trial.

wwaag

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]