FORUMS: list search recent posts

60FPS Rendering Troubles [Movie Studio Platinum 12.0]

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Bruck
60FPS Rendering Troubles [Movie Studio Platinum 12.0]
on Dec 15, 2016 at 12:12:28 am

Hello,

I have an extremely confusing (to me) problem when rendering. I make gaming videos (yeah, I'm mainstream :P) so I like to have the highest quality in my videos as I can. I've self-taught myself on how to use Movie Studio through various YouTube videos and an online course on Lynda.com, so I've never had professional training. I've gone through SO many different rendering settings online, like literally 30+ (I've even looked at the technical details of each setting and made my own!), but I've never been able to successfully render a video in 60fps. You see, I have a problem where the raw recorded file will look great, no problems, but then after it's rendered it looks to switch between 30fps and 60fps as much as every 10 seconds, even though the file says it's 60fps. I've spent hours upon hours troubleshooting this myself around the web (reading many Creative Cow forum posts, which is how I learned of this site), but at this point I feel like I just need to make my own post asking for help.

For this post what I've done is gone and recorded a game (Toybox Turbos) and overlain the UFO FPS test (http://www.testufo.com) directly in Open Broadcaster Software (my screen recording software). I uploaded both the un-rendered raw file and the rendered file so that you can compare them for yourself. In this instance, I don't think the rendered video was even 60fps at any point.

Here's the link to the un-rendered file on YouTube:

And here's the link to the rendered version (you can easily tell that the FPS is not what it should be by the choppiness of the 60FPS UFO):

Here is an Imgur page for the project and render settings that I used (I modified "Internet HD 1080p" in MainConcept AVC/AAC to get these):
http://imgur.com/a/Y4uwo

Any insight into what the heck is going on is appreciated; I'm REALLY at a loss here.

Thanks,
Christopher

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: 60FPS Rendering Troubles [Movie Studio Platinum 12.0]
on Dec 15, 2016 at 6:16:34 am

Hi,

I'm absolutely unsure, but to me this looks like there's a framerate conversion behind the scenes.
Is your source media exactly 59.940 too?
Maybe you could try exactly 60fps project/render settings. I mean 60.000 instead of 59.940.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Christopher Bruck
on Dec 15, 2016 at 3:54:18 pm

Hello,

I changed the project and render settings to 60.000FPS for this test project we're working with here like you suggested and it seems identical to 59.940FPS:

Also, I know it's not a problem with YouTube as it looks the same when viewing it through any media player on my PC. Is there anything else that stands out to you about these render settings that could be causing issues? It's strange because the preview displays the project in 60FPS perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Christopher

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 15, 2016 at 4:49:33 pm

Hi Christopher,

It may be helpful if you posted the specifics of your source media from OBS. If you don't have Mediainfo, it is a free program that does a good job of displaying the specifics of a video/audio file such as fps, bit rate, etc. Put Mediainfo in 'text' mode and post the results so members may be able to futher help. You of course, may also find something of value from the Mediainfo report that would be helpful.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Christopher Bruck
on Dec 15, 2016 at 11:32:59 pm

Hello,

George, thanks for your response. I've downloaded MediaInfo and the information for the raw video file is as follows:

General
Complete name : D:\OneDrive\YouTube\Projects\60FPS Rendering Troubles\60FPS Rendering Troubles.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 75.0 MiB
Duration : 20 s 971 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2016-12-14 22:20:50
Tagged date : UTC 2016-12-14 22:20:50
Writing application : Open Broadcaster Software v0.659b

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.2
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 1 frame
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=120
Muxing mode : Container profile=High@3.1
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 20 s 966 ms
Source duration : 20 s 950 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 30.0 Mb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate : 58.824 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 62.500 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.241
Stream size : 74.9 MiB (100%)
Source stream size : 75.0 MiB (100%)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : sYCC
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
mdhd_Duration : 20966

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 20 s 971 ms
Source duration : 20 s 928 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Nominal bit rate : 320 kb/s
Channel(s) : channel0
Channel(s)_Original : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Source stream size : 8.63 KiB (0%)
Language : English

As you can see, it says the FPS is set to 60. I've also noticed that this information says that the frame rate is set to variable, which is confusing as I have CFR (constant frame rate) enabled in OBS.

After seeing this, I tried using a different recording software (Bandicam) with CFR enabled, and Movie Studio wouldn't even let me import the file (when I change it to variable frame rate, it will import no problem). Am I troubleshooting in the correct direction here?

Thanks,
Christopher

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 16, 2016 at 12:20:56 am

Hi Christopher,

@ "Am I troubleshooting in the correct direction here?"

...well, I think so! My 1st thought was that your source was variable frame rate, rather than constant. As you probably know NLE's don't like variable frame rate, although some users do not have problems with it, or at least if they do, what they are doing with it doesn't bother them.

I'm not familiar OBS or Bandicam, but I have read many problems user have had until they got things configured to work. Hopefully, a member here familiar with OBS will be able to determine if the OBS recording settings can be changed to reflect a more friendly format for Vegas/Movie Studio.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]