FORUMS: list search recent posts

Check which video files are already in the Project/in use

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Peters
Check which video files are already in the Project/in use
on Dec 13, 2016 at 3:16:15 am

Hello Community!

In the past I have encountered a big problem for me, I've always found a way around it, but it would be awesome, if someone maybe knows an easier way.

My problem is, I have all my video files for one type of video in one folder. But I haven't dragged them all in my project yet. So it would be awesome, if there would be a way to show which files are already in my project and which are not.
Unfortunately I have around 1000 video files and about the half are already in the project and I want to find out which ones I haven't used yet, or which ones are not on my timeline yet.
Is there any way to do that?

Thanks for any help! ☺
Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Check which video files are already in the Project/in use
on Dec 13, 2016 at 4:53:00 am

If you had the 1000 video files already in the Project Media within VP, then you could use the COUNT Column to ascertain which of those were or weren't being used. Unused would show as 0 and from 1 how many times they are being used. But you're asking is there a way to ascertain which are being used from outside of VP. Correct? If this is so then possibly Media Manager could do this.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

Dennis Peters
on Dec 13, 2016 at 5:25:39 am

Yes exactly you are correct. That is a good idea, but I have never used the Media Manager. I use Vegas 13 and since a few weeks Win10 (because I had too).
Unfortunately the latest download I can find is for Vegas 11
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/updates/mediamanager
Do you know if it still available for Vegas 13, or do you know if it is still working?

Thank you!
Best Regards!

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 13, 2016 at 6:06:53 am

[Dennis Peters] "Do you know if it still available for Vegas 13, or do you know if it is still working?"
I'm using MM in VP13. Version 2.43 . Does that help you?

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 13, 2016 at 5:52:29 am

If you are looking for usage of Video COUNT then you need to have its linked AUDIO stream too. So, use of VIDEO will be a COUNT of 2 - once for the VIDEO and once for the AUDIO.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 13, 2016 at 8:36:21 am

Hi, I don't use Mediamanager, so I would use a different approach. Maybe this can help you too. 😉

1. Do I understand right, you need all those thousands videos in you project?
Simply drag them all to your project media/all media bin.
If there are some videos already in your project, nothing happens to them, but the new videos are added to the project (use count will be zero until you start to use them on the timeline).
2. If you need to separate what's in the project and what's not:
I would save the project to a separate (empty) folder. Just make sure, to check "copy media with project" on the "save as..." dialog. That will copy the mediafiles used in the project to that folder as well.
After doing that, a file manager, like Total commander can compare directories, and select files in both directories which are missing from the other directory. Then for example: in the original source directory you can invert the selection, and delete the selected files (or more secure to move them to a temporary folder, just in case...). So you'll have the files already in your project in the new directory, where you did the save as with copy media from Vegas. In the original source folders you'll have only the files which don't belong to your project.
This is how I would do - without using Meida Manager.
:)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Dec 13, 2016 at 1:32:33 pm

My solution was predicated on our friend here not importing the files. He even says as much after I asked him.

However, if going down your route of importing them there is no need to use:

[László Kovács] "After doing that, a file manager, like Total commander can compare directories"
As my method would Search on COUNTS within VP Project Media and deposit those results in a saveable, user-named BIN.

This is how I would do it - and without using Total commander.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 13, 2016 at 7:58:45 pm

You could do VIEW > Windows > Edit details - then select Events > Active Takes.

This would give a list of events in the project, and the file path shown is the list of media in use. This table can be selected, cut and pasted into Excel for further sorting.

There is also Tools > "Clean Project Media" which clear all media not in use on the timeline. Leaving you with project bins that contain only media in use on the timeline.

Return to posts index

Dennis Peters
on Dec 14, 2016 at 3:38:16 am

Unfortunately I found out Media Manager can't be used on Windows 10, because win10 no longer supports "SQL Server 2005", which is necessary for it to work. So I have no idea, if it works for me.

I have now used this way:
If you need to separate what's in the project and what's not:
I would save the project to a separate (empty) folder. Just make sure, to check "copy media with project" on the "save as..." dialog. That will copy the mediafiles used in the project to that folder as well.

Something like a green little check mark on the files in the explorer in vegas, if they are already in the project, would be very helpful for such things.

Thanks for all the replys guys!
If someone has some more ideas, feel free to add them!
I run into this problem too many times somehow hehe.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 14, 2016 at 7:54:34 am

Hi,
I'm really glad I could help.
However...
[Dennis Peters] "I run into this problem too many times somehow hehe."

I never ran into this problem - or at least I don't remember ☺ . I always open a new empty folder for a project. Depending on the complexity of the project, I put the footages into the root of the project folder, or into subdirectories in it.
I often work with multicam shots, so I used to store the footages of each cameras in different subfolders.
Something like
Project folder
|
|--camera1
|--camera2
|--camera3
. . . .
Some musics and pictures I may add later can go into the root of the project folder.
If it's a simple project, say a short single cam shot, everything may go into the root of the project folder.
At the very beginning add all media to the project into bins.
Whenever I need a new item, say a graphic, I first copy it to the project folder, then add it to a media bin, or directly to the timeline.
So it depends, how I organize, but everything related to that project will be in that folder, so I always know what's in that project. Backing up is easy too, Just copy the whole project folder to another drive, and I can be sure everything needed for that project is duplicated.
(If you ever had a HDD crash, you know this can be a lifesaver - if you never had a failing HDD, then you are going to have it once.)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Dec 15, 2016 at 12:57:48 pm

"There is also Tools > "Clean Project Media" which clear all media not in use on the timeline. Leaving you with project bins that contain only media in use on the timeline."

Nice, never knew that, very handy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]