FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange rendering problem

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hessu Mus
Strange rendering problem
on Dec 9, 2016 at 10:58:25 pm

Hello. Sorry for somewhat long post, there is a TL;DR at the end.

Anyways, I am somewhat long time user of Sony Vegas. Been using Pro 13 for quite some time.

In the last, hmm, maybe a year or so, I have gotten weird rendering problem. It ruins making videos for me since when the problem occurs, it makes the video pretty much unwatchable. I have asked from reddit and friends earlier, but not getting any solutions so decided to ask here now

I have tried using videos from my own camera (Panasonic GH4 Lumix, .MOV files, I have tried gameplay videos with shadowplay (mp4), even some sport clips from youtube or other sites (.avi, .mp4 and so forth)

I dont know how to properly tell about the problem. Everything is fine on the preview or watching the videos/clips with VLC player or bsplayer. But when I render them, often it happens. The screen, it... I dont know how to explain it correctly with my English, but its.. Well, it kinda "flickers" or zooms in and out real fast and just completely ruins the video. Here is a gif link for the video showing the problem: https://gifs.com/gif/66K90z

The problem might start at the beginning, it might be just few random clips or almost the whole video! Sometimes it helps to edit the project by deleting the said clips and putting them back on. It only works sometimes, not always. And sometimes almost the whole compilation gameplay video might be full of this problem. it can delete hour or two of work and ruining the video completely. It only occured first time like bit over a year ago or so, never had it before that. Just today I had the whole 7 minute video I made having this problem. From start to finish. So I had to start the whole project again, but have no idea how to render it making it work properly. It works well when previewing it in vegas, but only after render everything changes.

It happens almost every time I render a video longer than 3 minutes. Havent really even tried too many shorter ones lately.

I do use "disable resample" always, I have tried rendering avi. mp4, .wmv and so. .wmv might fix it sometimes but the quality is never that good with it. Quality is decent with the Main concept AVC and Sony AVC but the problem occurs often. In fact, havent really felt like doing any more projects lately, I got many of them ready but when it comes to the rendering, it just... Wont let me have the video working normally. So much work done for nothing :/

I have no idea at all what could possibly cause this to happen for the screen. Doesnt seem to matter what the source of the video is (youtube, my own camera, shadowplay...). It feels somewhat random since some clips from shadowplay might work and others dont.

I cant possibly know what causes this, but if anyone does, please let me know if you know how to possibly fix it ☺ Thank you

TL;DR

Video after rendering has changes. Is suddenly unwatchable because of strange flickering / zooming in/out issue. Here is a gif of the said problem:

https://gifs.com/gif/66K90z

Sorry for long post and not being able to describe it very well. But it can be shown in the gif link

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
Re: Strange rendering problem
on Dec 10, 2016 at 6:21:56 am

I do understand your frustration, and seems like your system needs a major overhaul.
From what you described, Its not in good health for video creation, And maybe whats
needed is a reinstall and clean up of your entire operating system.
What operating system are you using? and have you recently upgraded it?

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Hessu Mus
on Dec 10, 2016 at 10:30:13 pm

Thanks for the answer!

I have a Windows 10 and the computer itself isnt too old or anything. Should be clean of viruses and malware, but dont know if those would really even matter in this case. Computer isnt upgraded from previous version but rather was bought as a new one with windows 10 as the first system on it. I have avast as a anti-virus and programs like malware-bytes antimalware for cleaning it up from possible malware

System specs are the following: 12GB RAM, Intel i5-4960k processor and Nvidia GTX 970 GPU. Dont remember the motherboard right now to be honest

It's strange since I didnt have this problem before. And I have never seen problem like this before. I tried googling a lot, but I guess I couldnt find the right words since I didnt find anyone having this same kind of problem. I googled "sony vegas render flickering problem", but I guess flickering also means something else than I thought since I found some problems that were quite different than mine. But I dont know what other words than zooming or flickering could I use for the problem, and that makes googling for it bit difficult. Usually if I have had problems with rendering (or any other problem with the software), I always solved it with the help of google and other people who had similar problems. But now I cant even find people having the same problem

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 10, 2016 at 11:08:43 pm

Hi Hessu,

Have you gone back to a previous project (prior to this flicker problem) and render it again? If an older project renders properly, then I would look at the current source media as a possible problem.

Have you reset Vegas and deleted the cached application data? When the program starts doing strange things, this would be the first step.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Hessu Mus
on Dec 13, 2016 at 10:44:50 pm

I dont have older projects left, since whenever I get the videos done, I remove the project, the clips that I used etc and only use the project file, thus showing some mercy to the hard drive ☺ Video files are so big that I get rid of them when I dont need them. Thats why its impossible for me to even try :/

But as for deleting the cached application data, that I have not done. Gonna try it tomorrow!

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 14, 2016 at 6:37:03 am

I would try the following to see if any of it helps:

Use the media match button in the Project Properties window, to make sure the project settings are the same as the media.

Try Sony AVC render vs MainConcept .mp4 encoder.

Verify that your source capture media is actually a true 16:9 "video standard" like 1280x720, or 1920x1080... and 29.97, 30, or 59.94 FPS. Any non-standard capture, especially non standard frame rates will cause encoding problems. Verify that your source media is also not recording as a Variable frame rate. Media Info app can help with this.

https://pacoup.com/2011/06/12/list-of-true-169-resolutions/

Try re-encoding your source captured media to cineform, xdcam-ex , or XAVC-intra depending on resolution. Then use a new vegas project to render those files, and test for the issue.

Verify the memory with memtest86+ from a boot disk. There should be Zero errors, even if you run it over night through several passes.

Uninstall the NVidia software, and pull the NV GPU out of the system. Then make sure you have the latest Intel drivers for the onboard GPU. Next re-run the renders with only the Intel GPU and Vegas options>Video> set to CPU only. Make sure all other slotted in add-in cards are uninstalled for test reasons. Re-run adding back in each card one at a time.

Return to posts index

Hessu Mus
on Dec 15, 2016 at 11:36:46 pm

Thank you George! Sincerely.

This is something that somehow helped. I rendered one video project (which I havent been able to render without problems before) again and now it worked! Then I returned to another project, it had the same problem, tried rendering again and it had the problem, but only in two clips! I removed those two clips from project and added them again. Then rendered and boom! It worked ☺

Thank you so much for this, it helped so far and hopefully will continue to help if the issue returns someday

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 16, 2016 at 12:10:51 am

Hi Hessu,

Glad to hear of was of some help. Sometimes garbage gets in a projects for various reasons that Vegas doesn't like and it hangs on until either the cached application data is deleted, or we find that one or more clips are the cause. Sometimes deleting them and adding again doesn't fix the problem, I have had this happen once, it was just for what ever reason bad, and in this situation it was something I could re-shoot. Anyway, good to hear your project is on track again.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]