FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview screen & render coming out black? SV Pro 14

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ethan Wright
Preview screen & render coming out black? SV Pro 14
on Dec 6, 2016 at 5:38:22 am

Hello, I have had a recent problem with an incredibly important project that I'm working on for university that has crippled the last 9 non-stop hours of work.
Everything was going fine for 9 hours or so, and then suddenly I try to play what I am working on and the project window just flickers and goes completely black. I try scrubbing through the video and realise that the entire thing is black, and sony vegas will no longer render any more images in the preview window.
Quitting Vegas and restarting fixes it for about 15 seconds, and then it will flicker to black again somewhere else along the project.
The clips are fine, and have been working fine in Vegas the entire day and night that I have been working on it.

I've tried:
- Disabling resample
- Renaming the folder "compoundplug"
- Disabling GPU acceleration
- Forcing GPU acceleration FALSE
- Putting the video onto a new track
- Exporting as .veg and reopening that .veg

Please, please somebody help me or suggest something at all.
I just want to get the video at least exported out of Vegas so that I can work on it elsewhere, if I can't render it and get it out of the software I have lost the last nine hours of work I've put in all day today.

Here's what my clips are recorded at
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 10.0 Mb/s
Writing library : Apple QuickTime

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=2, N=30
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 25 s 160 ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 9 748 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 768 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.188
Stream size : 29.2 MiB (97%)
Title : Core Media Video
Encoded date : UTC 2016-11-27 17:23:26
Tagged date : UTC 2016-11-27 17:23:31
Color range : Full
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 25 s 160 ms
Source duration : 25 s 216 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 256 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 773 KiB (3%)
Source stream size : 774 KiB (3%)
Title : Core Media Audio
Encoded date : UTC 2016-11-27 17:23:26
Tagged date : UTC 2016-11-27 17:23:31

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
Re: Preview screen & render coming out black? SV Pro 14
on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:12:37 am

I notice your media is QT. Is it possible you have hit the ceiling that Vegas has with QT media?

I would try a save as of the project to a new name.

Then render some media to XDCAM-ex, or Cineform.AVI. Then load the save project, pointing the missing media at the new renders folder.

Return to posts index

Ethan Wright
on Dec 7, 2016 at 12:09:37 pm

Hey! Not sure what ceiling you mean, but I'm pretty sure the problem is that vegas despises the format I'm working with.
I even went so far as to reinstall Vegas!
Anyway, I narrowed it down to the transitions I was using - for some reason it started breaking after I used one of the 3D transitions, and renders would always break or bug out on even the regular fades. I fixed this by putting the second clip on a new video layer and manually fading them in and out to give off the illusion of a straight fade between the two clips.

Thanks, hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problems in the future.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 7, 2016 at 3:16:32 pm

Hi,

If you find the bug -or get close to catch it- report to Magix please!
So they'll know about it.
Thanks (as I may be next victim of that bug... 😉 )

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Aaron Star
on Dec 7, 2016 at 7:28:23 pm

There is a well know QT bug with Vegas, where a certain number of QT media files on the timeline or in the project causes QT to stop working. Users have complained for years about how they have troubles editing QT media from phones and other QT generating sources. Most have just passed this off as a lack of Apple updating QT to modern standards, which is now never going to happen for Windows apparently. This why most convert their QT media to a more Vegas native intermediate format for editing.

Vegas 14 has QT native support, but that may only be for Prores content. Other QT media using other codecs may still require QT to be loaded, and then you are back to the problems with QT.

Like John Rofrano always says...it you need to edit QT use a Mac. Makes perfect sense.

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Dec 7, 2016 at 8:03:30 pm

It would appear you have found your way out of your immediate dilemma, so may not be interested in this. On the heels of Aaron's replies.......because of QT in Windows being 32 bit based, the limitation of a project with QT files seemed to have been reported by many as too many QT events, pending individual systems. I have read where some reported problems with as few as 20 events and others didn't reach a limit for over 100!

Then I read one poster thought it wasn't the size of events, rather strictly the count. I made a test in Sony Vegas Pro 13 with five minute ProRes clips. When I reached 80 events, strange things started. I then started a new project, placing 60 events. Then render those to an intermediate CineForm file. I started another project loading 60 ProRes events and again render a CineForm intermediate. And again. Then I loaded the 3 intermediates and another 60 ProRes events, for effectively 240 QT events, and it run smooth and rendered. It was a down and dirty test, with no FX, but seemed like it would work for real time editing. Just an idea that maybe you or someone else reading this might try if you again find yourself up against a wall.

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

Mario Gonzalez
on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:29:24 pm
Last Edited By Mario Gonzalez on Feb 4, 2017 at 7:35:41 pm

I am having the same problem, and starts in the exact minute every time where theres is o transition or special effect, only Red color treatment, when open the edl I get video for about 20 seconds and then gone, but my problem is with red 4k files, so I do not think is about QT only, if I render the file I get the black starting from the same point and from there I can only see some other files in the time line that are QT, so is not quik time, can it be the relation with QT files and red files, I think that before inserting those QT files everything was fine

TEST; I remove all Qt files form the proyect and still the same

Mario

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Feb 5, 2017 at 12:54:09 am

Whenever I have a preview or render that stops at the same point, I remove the event at that point and test the rest of the project. It sometimes is a bad clip.

Best Regards....George

Return to posts index

Mario Gonzalez
on Feb 5, 2017 at 6:12:49 pm

Good morning George will try that , hopefully work,nice sunday

Mario

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]