FORUMS: list search recent posts

beware of the sleaze biz practices of Video Blocks

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Holland
on Dec 1, 2016 at 1:27:24 am

They just took an unauthorized payment from and tomorrow ids Dec 1 and can't pay the balance of my rent

Video Blocks started out several years as offering best bank for buck royalty free videos for projects. Most of it was "tourist" videos sent in but every now and then there would be some decent stuff. All videos were available they had free stock music and also part of the license free sound effects. Great deal, even if the content was on the amateurish side.

That was several years ago.

Now they have changed biz models. It was inevitable, no problems with that. They now have two levels, a blanket license at 149 per year or a pay per clip, cost depends on the clip. No more SFX or music period. Music is no worries as I compose for NASA, ABC, etc Their music was horrible made by someone's nephew with a synth in basement. Thats fine. Thats a separate web site and licensing now. No lose, nor the SFX

However, they have taken videos that used to be under the blanket license which I used in the past and now put them under the pay per clip license. That's sleaze in my opinion. It is dishonest no matter what kind of BS they say.

My current subscription runs out in January 2017. No where does it say auto renewal anywhere nor was I notified by Video Block they were going to ignore my renewal date and go ahead and unilaterally use my credit card to renew my license...without my permission.

I have been receiving emails to re-up for a special of 99 bucks. Instead they withdrew 149. I was waiting until after Christmas and reup before my renewal in January 2017. 149 US is over 200 Canadian. Yeah....

But these slime balls took the money anyways, again without permission. Leaving me in hole for my rent due tomorrow. Their "help" line leads to a 3rd party answering service. Useless.

Spread the word. The best way to let people know about slime ball operators and they are plethora in this biz, is word of mouth. This immoral and unacceptable.

Return to posts index

Harry Maathuis
Re: beware of the sleaze biz practices of Video Blocks
on Dec 1, 2016 at 1:59:12 pm

Very recognizable.
I have the same experience with clips which now have to be paid for and previously had been covered by the subscription. I also have the impression that the (now separate) music library has shrunk. Me too had a disagreement about the date of automatic renewal.
Food for thought ... 😒

Harry Maathuis

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Dec 1, 2016 at 2:31:12 pm

Thanks for the warning!

I take music from Audiojungle (now Envato) if I need.

https://audiojungle.net/

Just buy the music, no subscription, no problem...
I never needed, but I know there are stock photos, webdesigns, AE templates, and many other things too.
They never stole my money.
Spread the word ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Dec 1, 2016 at 5:30:38 pm

I'll second audiojungle/envato for being easy to use and straightforward.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Dec 1, 2016 at 3:49:26 pm

Yes Brent, they do offer shady and dishonest business practices for a long time.
I have known about them for a long while, and they are getting worse.
They were ok when they just started, but like many, they have become greedy and dishonest!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]