FORUMS: list search recent posts

Balancing Multiple Audio clips from different Interviews 2016

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Quincy Berry
Balancing Multiple Audio clips from different Interviews 2016
on Nov 24, 2016 at 1:58:25 am

Hi, Sorry that I started a new thread. I did a search and saw something about it but it was very dated few from 2008.

Here is the deal, I am sure you seen this many times. But in 2016 what is the best way with Sony Vegas pro 13 to Balance the audio from multiple clips. I already tried the normalizing and that seems to work to even out the individual clip. But I am looking how I can balance the audio from example 3 different interviews all have different levels of talking. I bumped up the lowest sounding person with the normalize option, but then the other 2 are still louder.

I manually used the gain bar and lowered the 2 others and eye ball and listen. By lowering the gain bar to make the wave graphics look close to each other sorta works. It's pretty time consuming. There has got to be a better way that I am not aware of.

I also saw something about using the master track, Master FX, track compressor, soft limiter. all though this did do something it didn't bring the "loud person" down to match the other person talking. Is there a simple way to balance the audio in svp13?

I appreciate any suggestions but trying to see if I could do this within SVP 13 not an External app.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Balancing Multiple Audio clips from different Interviews 2016
on Nov 24, 2016 at 12:50:36 pm

Hi,

I would not say it is the best way, but I would do so if I had to:
I would apply Track compressor, but not at master FX, but at track level instead.

You can try tweaking the preset: the higher the "Amount" is, the higher the maximal amplification, the lower the "Threshold", the lower is the level, when amplifications steps in.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Amanda Duffield
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:01:01 am

I have been trying to do exactly this all day today but didn't understand enough about the process.
Now that I've seen this post (I'm home now) I'll try tomorrow.

Can I just confirm, I'm doing this at the 'track' level, not individually on each 'generated media' or whatever each 'chunk' of audio is called.

I also have various audio pieces, They are all my voice but some are recorded on different days and I've obviously got the microphone in different positions whilst recording plus using my voice either louder and softer.

I couldn't get 'arm to record' to work so recorded in audacity and imported to Vegas.

It's really ruining the clip with my voice levels going up and down depending on what day I did the recording.
I tried 'wavehammer' but thinking now that was wrong!
I tried turning volume down on invidivual audio but it didn't seem to help.
It's going to be sent all around the workplace so I really need the audio to sound more professional. It's not something I can re-narrate.

Are there 'standard' settings I should use for a single speaker with no background noise? If so, could I just fill them out on the FX screen (pictured above) and all tracks will revert to that?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:17:31 am

Hi Amanda

This is what I have been using for the past couple of years. This works great for talking heads or narration.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levelator (download link at bottom of Wiki page)

Hope this helps.

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

Francois Pénzes
on Feb 15, 2017 at 11:24:22 am

Hi again Amanda

Forgot to add that you better clean your audio before using Levelator as it will also ''level out'' any background noise.

Cheers !

PC Win 7 64-bit 16gb Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF305 + Canon XH-A1

''When the cutting stops, the editing begins...''

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]