FORUMS: list search recent posts

[Vegas 12] Is there any way I can make Vegas capable of reading H-264 codecs?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony chen
[Vegas 12] Is there any way I can make Vegas capable of reading H-264 codecs?
on Nov 20, 2016 at 3:07:00 am

Whenever I try to drag or open a video file that has H264 codec, it gives me the error "none of the files dropped could be opened". I googled up this solution but the only solution was to either download the K-Lite Codec pack or use Avi converting software to convert to M-JPEG.

I have the converting software and it works just fine. However, the issue is, my video files get extremely large and it takes an extremely long time to convert to M-JPEG.

I also downloaded the K-Lite Codec Pack to make it compatible. However, it made my quality extremely bad. It had a lot of blurs in the video compared to original.

Is there any good H-264 codec out here for Vegas?

Return to posts index

Mark Wilson
Re: [Vegas 12] Is there any way I can make Vegas capable of reading H-264 codecs?
on Nov 20, 2016 at 4:47:39 am

Vegas 13 & 14 support h264 natively. I am surprised to hear vegas 12 doesn't - but I don't have any way to test that. Maybe download the latest trail version and try it out.

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: [Vegas 12] Is there any way I can make Vegas capable of reading H-264 codecs?
on Nov 20, 2016 at 7:26:09 am

Vegas pro 12 support h.264 - but h.264 in AVI container is a bad thing !

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Nov 20, 2016 at 5:45:15 pm

Hi Tony,

If you haven't already, you may want to consider un-installing the K-Lite codec pack, it will not help and has the capability to mess up the codec which were included with your VP12. You may have to re-install VP12, after removing the K-Lite.

If you have MainConcept AVC and Sony AVC render templates, they include the h.264 codec (MPEG4).

There may be something else in your source media that Vegas Pro doesn't like. When you convert these source media files, whatever it is that Vegas Pro doesn't like has been removed so they will work on the timeline. If your source media comes from a camera phone or screen capture program, they often record in variable frame rate. That could be the problem as NLE's prefer a constant frame rate. Without knowing what your source media is, that is a guess.

You could use Mediainfo (text mode) and post the spec's of your source media, which may help others figure out your solution.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]