FORUMS: list search recent posts

Odd Colouring After Uploading Vegas-Rendered Video to YouTube

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Fernandes
Odd Colouring After Uploading Vegas-Rendered Video to YouTube
on Nov 16, 2016 at 4:57:17 am

Hi, recently I tried to upload a video to YouTube that I had rendered in Vegas. Immediately following rendering, it looked perfectly fine in Windows Media Player as well as the Windows 10 Player. However, when I uploaded it to YouTube I noticed a strange green tint. The weird thing is the YT upload looks perfectly fine on mobile, and also looks fine on my computer using Microsoft Edge as the browser, but Google Chrome on my computer looks super green. I noticed a difference in colouring on other YouTuber's videos as well when comparing Edge vs Chrome , but not as extreme as the difference between how my video looked between the two browsers. I attached photos.

(MY VIDEO)

(OTHER YT USER)

Edge is on left in both photos. I tried exporting in mp4, MP4, AVI, WMV, all with the same result. Is there something else I'm doing wrong? I've uploaded videos before and never run into this issue of green tinting after an upload. The reason I'm concerned is not really the fact that I see the green tint, but more that it will look bad to my viewers. And I know it's not just the computer because it looked bad on my desktop too. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Odd Colouring After Uploading Vegas-Rendered Video to YouTube
on Nov 16, 2016 at 8:04:06 am

Hi,

I assume you did make sure your video does not have illegal levels. (I mean black below 16 and white above 235).

I know this does not help much, but I think, if your video looks great everywhere but not in Google Chrome, then the culprit is that browser. I don't think you can do anything about it. I wold make a note in the videos description, that the video isn't that green, it's just displayed wrongly by G.C.

(Offtopic sidenote: I know when Chrome started, it was an ultrafast and lightweight browser. Nowadays it isn't, but the opposite. In fact, it is one of the most resourcehungry browsers. Don't know why still people love it?)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Michael Fernandes
on Nov 16, 2016 at 3:35:09 pm

I noticed it looks poor in Internet Explorer on my desktop computer too, it seems only Microsoft Edge gets it consistently right. Also it looks okay with Chrome on my brother's laptop. So it seems there's not an 100% clear-cut correlation between this issue and which browser I have been using. Another strange thing I noticed is after downloading an app that lets me switch from HTML5 to Adobe Flash for video playback, it looks significantly better in Chrome. So I guess the problem has something to do with HTML5?

The main reason this bothers me is because when doing side to side comparisons of some of my other videos on Chrome on my computer vs. Edge, there is a slight difference in colouring, but not nearly as heavy a difference as this video, which leads be to believe there's something I did wrong this time.

Also, in terms of the 0 - 255 dynamic range stuff, how do you check that before exporting through Vegas? I understand the concept but I have no clue how to actually apply it in Vegas. Thanks.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 16, 2016 at 4:07:09 pm

Hi,

[Michael Fernandes] "Also, in terms of the 0 - 255 dynamic range stuff, how do you check that before exporting through Vegas?"

On the video scope "RGB Parade" it's easy to see the dynamic range of the colors, I like to use it so.
The "Waveform / Luminance" also gives good hint on levels, if it goes over 100% or below 0, you can be sure there are wrong levels.

I do my stuff in 0-255 range. When I import the media from the cameras, always have to apply some color correction. It is always needed anyway, so I bring down darkest black to 0, and get whitest white to 255.
Many times I need to import a presentation, this can be series of PNG's, or other formats, may be pdf or sometimes I get a ppt file and make the movie from it myself (using Lagarith RGB) , so it's mostly 0-255 too.
Before I go to render the project, add a video output FX "Levels" (It's above the preview screen).
I set it to the preset "computer to studio RGB". That stretches the whole thing into 16-235.

This is my method, probably there are others. But I used this way for years, and works well for me.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Michael Fernandes
on Nov 17, 2016 at 12:53:02 am

Cool, that's definitely something I'll keep in mind in terms of general video editing knowledge, should be useful for future videos as well.

Return to posts index

Michael Fernandes
on Nov 17, 2016 at 12:53:51 am

Has anyone else experienced this issue of unwanted YouTube colour adjustments?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 17, 2016 at 5:52:17 am

Never looked it with this eye.
I just use my browser and nothing else. ?
You can check my channel wether you see the color shift?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFuMBv_FnMzSjtlW-rq5fBg/videos?view_as=sub...

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Michael Fernandes
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:08:45 pm

I see a very very slight colour shift between Edge and Chrome when viewing your video (I viewed your most recent upload). But it is so slight that I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't specifically looking for it. May I ask what codec and container you export with, in case that might be the difference?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:57:44 pm

Hi, sure.
This is my current render setting for youtube:

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Michael Fernandes
on Nov 17, 2016 at 8:29:42 pm

awesome, thanks, maybe if I tweak to those settings it will help for next video.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Nov 18, 2016 at 9:20:40 am

You are very welcome ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]