FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting-importing clips to After Effects

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin Walker
Exporting-importing clips to After Effects
on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:54:25 am

I've searched and haven't found anything that suggests it's possible to export just a clip from the Sony Vegas Pro 13 timeline into After Effects for color grading or adding effects. I don't want to export the whole project-- and I don't want to export the whole video file-- just the clip. Am I missing something? I have AE CS5.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
Re: Exporting-importing clips to After Effects
on Nov 14, 2016 at 5:59:52 am

Hi,

I don't have AE, but what I would do is to render out that piece of timeline into a lossless codec.
Than process it with AE (or any other software), render from there to losless well, then import back to Vegas, and simply cover the piece of timeline with the processed file.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:21:48 pm
Last Edited By Francis S. Dobos on Nov 14, 2016 at 4:29:33 pm

You can import into After Effects CC both avchd (m2ts) and xavc-s (mp4) files (clips). After editing you can export them from AE as lossless avi files. I don't know AE CS5.0, but you may try it.
Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Nov 14, 2016 at 8:06:39 pm

Thanks for the response. Both of these methods require rending the clip separately, then opening in AE, modifying and rending again, and then replacing the original clip in SV13. I was hoping for a more streamlined process where you don't have to render it in SV for the export-- or it "renders" behind the scenes in the same way an audio clip does in an external editor. Wondering if anyone else had found a simpler process....

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Nov 15, 2016 at 6:45:52 am

You can import the original (not the rendered by Vegas) file into AE. You do not have to render it before importing to AE.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

Robin Walker
on Nov 15, 2016 at 7:07:59 am

Thanks Francis,

That doesn't quite fit my hopes and dreams, either, I'm afraid. While it would make changing the edit easier (because the whole clip has been color corrected in AE), it's more resource intensive on my frail little system. I was hoping for a way to just work on just the portion of the clip in the timeline, not the whole file. I believe Adobe Premiere has a way to send a timeline clip to AE and back as the original; thus, if you want to adjust the AE adjustments later, you can do so without exporting and importing again. If the clip is open in AE, you just make the edits and save. The results show up in NLE. My computer has trouble handling both SV and AE simultaneously, so it's helpful to work with small clips rather than the full file.

Return to posts index

Francis S. Dobos
on Nov 15, 2016 at 2:36:26 pm

Hi Robin,

You are right. Unfortunately I don't know the options in Adobe PP.

Francis S. Dobos

Return to posts index

Alex Regnell
on Nov 26, 2016 at 1:58:34 am

There is the option to do a File > Export > .prproj.

I used it once before a few years ago, and as I remember it was quite jenky, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]