FORUMS: list search recent posts

Popping Noise when overlapping Clips on Timeline

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Esselmann
Popping Noise when overlapping Clips on Timeline
on Oct 31, 2016 at 8:38:03 am

Hi there,
I have an annoying problem that frequently occurs on both, my laptop and PC - both of them are equipped with adequate 8 GB RAM, i7 CPU and NVidia 630M & GeForce GXT 770 GPUs, Windows 7 Home (64) and same software. I normally edit my video clipd with Vegas Pro 13 as a project (see settings attached), render the video as m2ts and audio as ac3.pro and produce final Blu-ray with DVD Arch Pro 6.

Upon importing MTS video clips from my Sony HDR-TD20VE (3D) cam into Vegas Pro 13 and overlapping the media on the timeline with, perhaps, transition features (eg. clock wipe, 3d fly in/out ...etc.), I often notice popping, or clicking noise when previewing the timeline. These noises are transferred into the final product/movie when rendering. The media is absolutely clean. The popping noises do occur only during and/or shortly after the transitions (where two media files overlap). These do not happen at every transition, but primary where more features are concentrated (eg. text and photos in time lines above).

When I separate the two video clips on the timeline and delete the relevant skf-files the pops do disappear, putting them back again, makes them come back again unless I scroll along the time line across the transition frame by frame (slowly).

http://i1.creativecow.net/u/281315/sm/soundsettings.jpg
http://images.creativecow.net/u/281315/videosettings.jpg

It's kind of disturbing watching blue-ray with clicking noises at transitions. I had this message displayed in 2014 and nobody could help.

Can you please help?

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
Re: Popping Noise when overlapping Clips on Timeline
on Oct 31, 2016 at 8:46:14 pm

Does this happen on all your Vegas projects, regardless of media used?

Try to isolate the problem by recreating it on a different simple project or anything else you can think of to isolate what is happening. Is it the media or the transition? -- what causes the pop. What, if anything, plays without a pop.

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Nov 1, 2016 at 4:03:42 am

YES!! Focus on things that work. It sounds like the combination over the overlapped audio clip are clipping, meaning the two together are to loud and mix to over 1 volt (peek to peek). That's the limit of how loud you can record audio on a Computer workstation without squaring out the waveform, Your best off recording all instruments so they peak between 4 and 6 Db You can always normalize without clipping and get good results. If you have of bunch of squared off waveforms, You have unusable audio in my honest opinion.

Danny Hays
Samples of my Work can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ErnestDaniels/videos?view_as=public

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:08:48 pm

Not a Vegas user, but in general it's a good idea to apply an Audio Crossfade to audio clips that butt up to one another, or you WILL get a pop usually. This is my experience in Premiere CC.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Paul Berk
on Nov 2, 2016 at 4:42:11 pm

>>apply an Audio Crossfade to audio clips that butt up to one another, or you WILL get a pop usually.

I my experience with Vegas, butting up audio events in Vegas does not cause a "pop". The only time I noticed a "pop" in Vegas audio was way back in Vegas 9 when an audio envelope that included a totally "vertical" drop of audio would cause a "pop". This bug has long been fixed.

Return to posts index

Marc Esselmann
on Nov 5, 2016 at 11:57:30 am

Yes, this popping noise happens often where video clips overlap; I would say at a frequency of about 4 x out of 10. Usually the sound transition is set to crossfade. It does not matter whether the video clips are unedited (uncut) or whether they area extracts of original ones.
It happens with short clips, long clips, short movie projects or long one ... When the clips are put next to each other onto the time line, the sound is clean. Overlapping the clips with, say, 1-3 seconds, with crossfade transition makes the pops come up again ... Even with skf files being deleted.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]