FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intermittent "hiccups" after file is rendered

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Garcia
Intermittent "hiccups" after file is rendered
on Oct 26, 2016 at 2:14:16 pm

I'm using Vegas Studio Platinum 11.

Trying to render a 720p video and I'm noticing these very light stutters with the video (audio is okay) every 5-10 seconds or so... just enough to be annoying.

I've tried matching project settings (but for some strange reason, when I try matching media settings to my clips, recorded with my galaxy phone, it vegas shows 120fps when it should be 30) to render settings... I've tried changing bit rates, messing with de-interlace, resample, etc...

Got an i7 processor at 3ghz with 8gb ram on window 7 64bit.

any ideas?

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
Re: Intermittent "hiccups" after file is rendered
on Oct 26, 2016 at 11:54:52 pm

More info after playing around with it:

It seems to "hiccup" at the same places regardless of my render settings

EXCEPT when I render it at 30fps as opposed to 29.97 fps... but at 30fps it hiccups at different spots.

I tried setting the AVC render to 59.940 ... I just rendered a section and the hiccup seems to be gone.

However I need to render it around 30fps because that's how it was shot. But when I tell vegas to match media settings, and point it to one of my clips, it sets it at 120fps (which i know isn't right) but sometimes at 29.902.... so maybe that is the real target fps?

this is all very confusing

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:27:35 am

Sorry to keep replying to myself here.

I tried rendering at 29.902 but still hiccups.

I discovered something interesting though. I downloaded MediInfo to see the fps of each clip, and every clip has a DIFFERENT frame rate (even though I recorded them from the same phone). Some are 30.00 29.879, 29.873, 29.911, 29.906... it's all over the board.

What's going on here? And why wouldn't vegas correct this when I choose settings such as "Disable Resample" or "Allow Source To Adjust Framerate"?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 27, 2016 at 5:04:58 am

Hi,
To me at the first reading it seems that the phone is messing with the framerate.
Look for Wayne Waags posts in this forum, he had some very good explanation on similar topic, that was something about iPhone recordings. I'm not concerned so didn't dig into it much.
But hopefully Waynes posts may be in help for you.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

robert strong
on Oct 27, 2016 at 4:42:50 am

Hello Diego, Not sure if this helps, but how are you viewing your rendered videos? I noticed hiccups in my renders, but only when I was viewing them in MS Media Player, and they always hiccuped in the same place. But they always played fine in VLC player, and always played fine if I burned them to a disk and viewed them in a standalone player.

robert

Return to posts index

Eric Clinch
on Oct 27, 2016 at 7:33:37 am

Diego, the different framerates are possibly because your phone, like the iPhone, uses a variable framerate. Video editors don't generally like variable framerates.

However I've used variable framerate iPhone shots in MS Platinum 12 without problems. But I rendered them to another file using the XDCAM EX HQ template and Disabled Resampling in the clip's Switches. This enabled me to obtain smoother preview and also check the mov files were rendered okay.

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
on Oct 27, 2016 at 3:15:40 pm

Thanks for the tips. I don't think it's the player, I've tried it across different computers.

In another forum I was told that smartphones are notorious for recording in variable frame rates, not much I can do, but I did hear about success using 3rd party video recording apps such as filmic pro--where it forces a stable frame rate. I'll probably go that route.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]