No job for Vegas users?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandra Marszałek
No job for Vegas users?
on Oct 25, 2016 at 10:57:38 pm

Hi everyone.

I wanted to ask you one thing.
Have you ever heard something like "If you're using Vegas than you can't have this job/project. Sorry"?
I've lost several job offers just because I'm using Vegas insted of Adobe 0.o

Is it just me?

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
Re: No job for Vegas users?
on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:20:24 am

It may be that people associate Vegas with "amateur" regardless of whether you are or not. Or it may be that they have had previous bad experiences with Vegas and refuse to deal with the issues that may arise due to the software. I use Vegas for professional use though am switching due to the second reason. The problems I have exporting large projects is epic. It's embarrassing for me when I have to tell the distribution company's video department that I'll be sending them my movie in parts and they'll have to render it together themselves because I can't do it myself.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 26, 2016 at 5:04:42 am

Install Adobe too! It's only business.

Seriously? My clients have never given a toss about the NLE I use, as long as my productions values and price are matched with their expectations for the outcome I deliver.

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:27:53 am

Hi,

And don't do they tell you with what kind of car you have to travel to an events place, and what kind of camera you have to use? If they are way too overspecific, they simply don't want to hire you for that job, and if you had Adobe, they would find another reason...

The half of my work is just delivering the raw material. This includes recording something and giving the footage to someone who will edit (I don't care what tool with), and also some broadcasting stuff (usually sport events) where I am just one of the many cameras.
In the rest I do everything on my own, and no one cares what software do I work with, and I think this is the normal attitude.
I do the same, for example I pay for the bricklayer, when the wall is standing, and it's strong enough, and really don't care what tools he uses. This is usually true for videographers too, I think. Shoot, import, edit, deliver the content in a format the client needs.
Likely, Graham hit the nail on its head.

I can imagine the only one reason your client can specify what NLE you have to use:
if that client wants a contract, so that you shoot, import, edit, deliver the content, but they also want to have the project with the footages, because they want to able to add additional edits later, without involving you.
Other than that, the client has nothing to do with your NLE (I think).
;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Sandra Marszałek
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:42:57 am

Yes they want me to deliver the project but there is nothing like that in the agreement and to be honest - I don't think they should interfer in a way I'm working (once I've heard that I should put the audio clips on the top and video on the bottom cause that's how they work and it's the best way - @#%Q#%!).

And of course multiple times I've heard that Vegas isn't good, that it's to weak to work with. Now I will be working with FCPX too and that's the same story from one person - Adobe is working on MAC too so FCPX is a wrong choice if I can choose Adobe. And I really truly hate Adobe as a editing software so I don't want to agree to work with it ;/

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:15:00 am

Hi,

In my honest opinion:
If the client is overspecific, and wants to say what and where and when and how to do, because he/she thinks it's the best way, let him/her go.
You have trouble at the start (they don't like your tool), you'll have trouble all the way until the project is finished.
And I bet, you'll have trouble at payment too.
They want to push you to use a tool (in this case Adobe) you hate to use.
Trouble, trouble, and trouble.
That kills your creativity, hurts your mooth, takes time from other projects you could work on happily.
Let that trouble to anyone else who likes to have it ?

If you already have made an agreement, and you also have put some work in that project, just stick to the agreement, and keep on working as you like to. The way you like to work has the reason why you like it to do so: because your pruductivity is at the maximum that way.
You could also argue a bit if you wish:
OK, I can do it the way they want, but will take the double time at double cost. (Or triple :))) Still want that way?

I really never-ever give raw material, footage, nor project file to a client, unless the the type of work is something like I described in my last post, where the end result of my work is the footage itself.
Clients don't see what/how I do, they see only the end result.

And lastly, the client can have a valid good reason why he/she needs something to do in a specific NLE. In that case the job is probably really not for you or me ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Sandra Marszałek
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:22:48 am

Thank you all for your messages ?

I think Adobe is having something like "A Gold Era" in Poland. Don't know why it's not so good and not intuitive at all.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:43:22 am

Adobe has a good name, that's sure.
If you don't like Premiere that does not mean it's not good at all.
It only means it is not good for you.
There are scissors for right handed people: ask a left handed, how much he/she likes it to use :))))
But there are scissors for left handed people as well.
We are here the left handed people with Vegas, and we simply can't work with the scissors made for right handed people (Premiere?).
I don't know, if you tell your client, why do you tell what NLE you are using?
Don't tell them. If one of them asks what NLE you use, just ask back why is it important?
You'll see if the client has a valid reason to know your NLE, if not, don't tell.
When they describe the project and what they expect to be done, you'll know whether you can do it, no matter if with Vegas or FCPX.
I used to somehow feel if the task is over my capabilities and I can't take the job.
And I tell this fact only: I can take the job, or I can not do it.

Good luck, take care! ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Roger Bansemer
on Oct 26, 2016 at 11:54:50 am

When I was trying to figure out how to produce a show for PBS I ran into this sort of thing constantly from people who boastfully prided themselves in knowing more than I did. I was using a Sony Z1U camera which I was proud of and they would literally laugh at me telling me that their lens along cost $15,000 and that I couldn't possibly shoot with anything less.
Now I look back after having done over 100 shows for PBS mostly with the help of people here in the forum like John Rofrano and they have done none. All I'm saying is pay no mind to those people. Their idiots who like nothing more than boast of their expertise but have little else to offer.
Roger

Roger Bansemer - PaintingAndTravel.com

Return to posts index

Peter Holt
on Oct 26, 2016 at 12:47:26 pm

I originate from Eastern Europe (Prague) and still keep in touch with friends there.

One big reason why Adobe products are popular there may be that they are widely cracked. The crackers put effort mostly into "headline" products, and Adobe are right at the top of the list there. There is also widespread disillusionment with Adobe, with e.g. the way they pulled the plug on their validation servers and screwed users of CS3 (and later) who, upon losing their PC and having to transfer licenses onto a freshly bought or built one, could not do it.

Whereas Vegas cracks are more tricky, especially with 3rd party plug-ins checking online at startup.

I am not suggesting anyone here does this but the former Communist Bloc runs largely on bootleg software ☺

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 26, 2016 at 6:59:46 pm

I have pretty much used Vegas exclusively for my video business for 13+ years. I am now moving on to Adobe for some of the reasons you mention (as well as me finally fed up with Vegas issues that I discussed on prior posts).
I think Adobe has the market right now, there are some things that just work better on Adobe (and some on other NLE's) but it is becoming an industry standard.
Can you do pretty much anything with any NLE, absolutely!!!! Are some clients desiring to work within the constraints of a specific ecosystem, YES!!
I am also looking to gain some employment at places that are Adobe houses and I need to know how to work in that environment fluently and that is what I am working on now.
In a nutshell, I disagree that we should be required to use specific tools to complete a basic job, NLE's should be up to the editor. However, there are times we as editors need to work within the parameters of a clients wishes.
We can drive many different ways to arrive at the same place, at time we must conform to specific "roads" if someone we are riding with desires it.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

David Shirey
on Oct 26, 2016 at 8:36:52 pm

I've been using Vegas since version 4. The office I've worked at for 20 years used to be Media 100, then made the switch to Final Cut Pro. We got tired of paying a lot for Macs and having to use them for 5 years to get our money's worth, so I orchestrated switching the whole office to PC's I built, and moved the other editors to Premiere since it was a pretty similar feel to Final Cut, with myself being the only Vegas user. It hasn't affected my output one bit.

That being said I've had my share of technical problems with Vegas over the years, but so have the Premiere guys. Like others here have said, it's the artist, not the tools. If you're producing your best work in the most efficient manner with Vegas then keep using it. If one client needs you to use Premiere because they may one day need to open the project and make changes, you can either do what the client wants or move on to the next project. I guess the one upside to Adobe's subscription model is that if you only need to do one project you can just rent the software for a month and ditch it.

Return to posts index

Sandra Marszałek
on Oct 26, 2016 at 10:02:35 pm

If it was just about one project than ok I would go through it somehow ... but it's about long time cooperation.

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 27, 2016 at 12:39:25 pm

...and the your client in that long time cooperation wants you to work with Adobe Premier:

-because he has the licences for Adobe systems, and has all the editing workstations, and grants you the access to them, and you have to work on his editing systems instead your own hardware at your home or in your office:
Valid reason, you either have to learn to drive Premier, or miss the job.

-because he needs to have the project file to further edit, for example you just do the major work, and they do finish on it, and they have Adobe licences, and require you to be able to produce a compatible project, so they really can finish that project:
Valid reason.

-because he thinks the job needs to be done is impossible to do in Vegas (or FCP) -based on previous bad experiences with other incopetent Vegas (or FCP) users- but you know it can be done (easily?):
Invalid reason. You need to convince him, that you are not an incopetent / amateur Vegas user, and despite his beliefs, Vegas is a capable software with an excellent price/value ratio, and this is why you like to work with it.
I would even take a very small part of the job for free as demo. (I already did such thing, and I usually win ? ) There's only to loose the time and work put in this small part, if the job is lost, but the gain is much greater, if you get the job, and you can do it with you favourite NLE, be it Vegas or FCP.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 27, 2016 at 8:15:13 pm

One thing i have to say: If you are comfortable and well rounded in Vegas, use Vegas, And have
confidence in your tool of choice. Don't let clients or associates dictates what you use to get your work done.
Vegas is all fully capable like all other NLE's.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Quincy Berry
on Nov 24, 2016 at 1:48:37 am

I do believe the saying it's the tool that does the job etc. But, I also believe by not knowing Adobe Premiere you lose out on more opportunities. It's a fact. you go to kijiji and craiglsist for editing jobs 90% demand Adobe premiere. So you do lose jobs due to using Sony Vegas.

The same can be said with the Camera you own/use. I know some of you wont agree, but I had come across multiple ads requesting certain cameras. I use to shoot on GH3's and was going to get a GH4 but I bought a C100 so I can capitalize on the opportunity. I came across ads where they looking for videographer but NO DSLRS. Must have c100 ,300 etc I think they wanted to weed out the people who think they can do they job with a canon t5i or or whatever. But by owning a c100 they "take me more serious"

So yes I am trying to learn AP but I am not enjoying it. it's annoying. I am too comfortable with SV13 sigh...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]