FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cool light effect

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Estes
Cool light effect
on Oct 25, 2016 at 1:48:05 am
Last Edited By Dale Estes on Oct 25, 2016 at 1:50:26 am

This is pretty slick, and if it was a still image I could figure out how to do it. Anyone have an idea on how this can be accomplished in Vegas? Only thing I could think of was to somehow save each frame of the bike lights and composite layer after layer. The effect starts at about 1:40 in.

https://vimeo.com/188208819

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Cool light effect
on Oct 25, 2016 at 7:25:23 am

[Dale Estes] "Anyone have an idea on how this can be accomplished in Vegas?"
Looks to me as if they'd attached a short strip of LEDs to each bike wheel rim. There's a tiny clue as they start off slowly there's what appears to be an arc of lights. Doing this in post? Study the way the effect vanishes behind trees. In Post? Rather you than me!

* Grazie

Video Content Creator and Potter
PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX50HS Bridge

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 25, 2016 at 8:38:10 am

[Graham Bernard] "Study the way the effect vanishes behind trees. In Post?"

I woke up this morning and checked the forum. Since that I find me time to time thinking about how this could be done, how I would do if I had to... :)))
The lights on the wheels were real LED lights, that's sure. This is the whole video is about.
But what the OP is asking, is that kind of motion trail those lights draw.
The best I thought would work until now is that freeze frame every frame of the video where the bike passes.
Darken it, so that it becomes black, only the lights on the wheels remain visible.
And add it above the original video with "ADD" compositing mode.
For this I'd need so many tracks, how many frames the event has.
Huge lot of "manual" work, but I feel it's doable. However, I'm sure there are other methods...
So if someone knows how to properly do a motion trailing in Vegas, knows the answer for this problem.
A special effect somewhere, Boris, Newblue packs maybe? (I don't use these, so I don't know).
But am still thinking.... ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 9:30:16 am

[László Kovács] "But what the OP is asking, is that kind of motion trail those lights draw."
How do you know this? I read this:
[Dale Estes] "This is pretty slick, and if it was a still image I could figure out how to do it."
That didn't indicate "Motion"?

If this IS the case - hope the OP gets back and clarifies - then I would explore prearranging two tracks that created MASKS of those two separate colours, apply motion blur - Vegas has this - and eventually render back a 2-Colour Transparent BG render which would marry with the original footage. Simple!

Actually I do have a mass of Plugs, not Boris, that may well utilize Motion Blurring based on preselected Chroma. Further thinking about this as the colours are really dominant, maybe even Luminosity. Interesting . . . .

* Grazie

PC 7 64-bit 16gb * Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core 3.40GHz * 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 25, 2016 at 10:17:43 am

Hi,

[Graham Bernard] "That didn't indicate "Motion"?"
[Dale Estes] "... if it was a still image ...
If it 's not a still image, isn't it a motion picture then?
But you're right, I should have written : "I think".
I apologise.

Nice idea with the masks!!!
But how long trail would that draw using Vegas motion blur?
Now I'm thinking about rendering the bike-pass event as series of PNG's.
All that tweaked, so basically all frames show just the lights.
So say, Frame[0] is complete black, Frame[1] is the first frame of the event, where the lights are only visible.
Then Frame[N] is the last frame, where the bike already passed.
Cumulate these, so:
Frame[1] = Frame[0] + Frame[1]; //which is equeal to Frame[1] because Frame[0] doesn't add anything being completely black.
Frame[2] = Frame[1] + Frame[2];
Frame[3] = Frame[2] //which is already 2+1// + Frame[3];
and so on.
Frame[N] = Frame[N] + Frame[N-1].
So at the end Frame[N] cumulates all the previous frames from 1..N; so the trail is drawn ?
Maybe Photoshop can be automated to do this (via batch processing), then import back those frames to Vegas, and use those as masking the solid color layer???

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Dale Estes
on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:08:33 pm

[Graham Bernard] " [László Kovács] "But what the OP is asking, is that kind of motion trail those lights draw."

How do you know this? I read this:

[Dale Estes] "This is pretty slick, and if it was a still image I could figure out how to do it."

That didn't indicate "Motion"?"

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. The LED part was easy enough, I was wondering about the light trails part of it. I've been a photographer for 30 some years and creating this effect in a still image is fairly easy.

I'm still relatively new to video and adding the motion part to the scene is what has me baffled. I'm sure there's quite a bit of compositing going on, but how is he saving the light trails in the first place. My initial thoughts were about the same as Laszlo's, lots of tracks composited together. The separate frames idea sounds interesting also, but a huge amount of work. I didn't know about the motion blur, I'll have to look at that. Some interesting ideas.

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:50:55 pm

Well, I WAS wrong!

OK, Light Trails and Motion Blur not the same in Video. You're gonna need to separate out the item you want to appear as a solid - and yes that WOULD be a Motion Blur. Light Trials are where you leave the Shutter open long enough to capture movement that is SET IN TIME AND SPACE. Do this with Moving objects and ALL the movement, including the dark bikes would be blurred. Yes?

I have never done this, but I have isolated Colours to make Masks and I have Motion Blurred moving Masks bvut I haven't combined these two vectors/controls.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:54:56 pm

I emailed the creator of the video and let him know of this discussion, hopefully he will join this conversation and enlighten us as to how he created the effect.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:56:56 pm

Now THAT'S smart thinking!

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:58:56 pm

Hmm, oh well let's see - eh?

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Dale Estes
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:57:44 pm

I had asked the same question directly in his video comments. I don't think he wants to reveal his "secret" just yet. He's inviting guesses for now.

Return to posts index

Mike Gamble
on Oct 25, 2016 at 3:50:47 pm

Hey everyone, glad you enjoyed our video.
I'm going to hand this question over to my VFX guy, Tom Wood, to explain the tech behind the creation.
Hopefully it will make more sense to you all. He'll respond as soon as he's able too.
We'll be dropping a video explaining all this in the near future also.

Thanks again!
Mike

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 4:09:22 pm

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

Thomas Wood
on Oct 25, 2016 at 4:51:09 pm

Hi Dale and Creative Cow'ers,

All great ideas on how we achieved the final effect. Right on the money with LED's on the wheel. We tried a couple of different setup's, but stick-on strips with battery packs taped to the spokes worked the best.

Thankfully the light trails were not all done in post, but in camera, 2 cameras to be precise. We had a Sony FS700 and a Nikon D800 rigged on a straight bar as close together as possible. While the Sony captured the video, the Nikon was set for a long exposure. After a bit or trial and error, we got the timing and exposure technique dialed.

In After Effects I used the puppet tool on the long exposure plate to morph and compensate for the parallax shift of the 2 cameras. With the video plate as a guide, I could match the path's of the wheel from both assets. Then, using a rough luminance key and various rotoscoping techniques (tracking and keyframing) I revealed the light trail as the rider crossed the frame.

With some simple color correction to maximize the light effect, we had the finished product.

We are working on a full behind the scenes write up with more detail.

Tom Wood - VFX creator for Light Cycles
http://www.thomas-wood.co.uk

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Oct 25, 2016 at 5:06:00 pm

Two cameras! Of course.

* Grazie

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 26, 2016 at 7:19:54 am

2 cameras... never would have tought on that :))))

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Dale Estes
on Oct 25, 2016 at 6:23:38 pm

Thanks Thomas,

That was a great explanation, looking forward to the BTS video soon. So is each scene a single long exposure on the Nikon, then the technique you describe to "reveal" the light traces? Everything looks seamless, well done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]