Vegas 14 really really slow render times

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Parks
Vegas 14 really really slow render times
on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:32:34 pm
Last Edited By John Parks on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:35:22 pm

Hey Creative Cow experts!

Thank you in advance for looking at this with me.

So today I upgraded from Vegas 13 to 14, and right off the bat my render times have become really, really slow. Machine is a PC laptop with 16GB RAM and Intel I7, at least 400GB free on hard drive. 90-second clip would take no time in 13; now 14 is showing 46 minutes for that same 90-second clip.

Render settings and project properties on screenshots.

Any thoughts? THANK YOU!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion
The Florida State University

http://www.johnparkspercussion.com

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
Re: Vegas 14 really really slow render times
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:48:55 pm

Are you sure you asked it to render only the region you selected that is 90s? I would have expected long times with VP13 with 32bit color. Perhaps double check the Video Preview RAM setting on both 13 and 14 under Options/Preferences/Video. Sometimes this setting can impact render times.

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:04:09 am

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your message! Yes, just looped region (box is checked). In fact, even with increasing RAM for preview from 200 to 4000 doesn't do anything.

Here's something weird though--there are no options for GPU acceleration of video processing--only "no." Could that be the culprit? And would that have changed in this version (since 13 worked perfectly with the same computer)?

The render has yet to get past 2% no matter how I tweak the settings. Surely there's a box somewhere that I'm overlooking?

Seriously frustrated. JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:26:35 am

I was thinking your laptop did not have a supported GPU, so I did not mention that. Did you see it offer a GPU card under the VP13 Preferences? If you do, then go into VP14 and hold down the shift key when you select Preferences from the option menu. At this point you should see a tab called Internal. In the search field type in "GPU" and you should see an option of Allow GPU Rendering = FALSE. You can try setting this to TRUE and then go back into Preferences to see if the option is present. You may have to restart VP14 for it to take effect. There is a reason they disabled it, but perhaps you will have good luck with it and the short clips you are rendering. I found that GPU rendering for me worked ok for short clips, but longer projects would result in stalls/crashes in VP13. Anyway, you can always set the option back to FALSE if it does not help.

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 21, 2016 at 12:39:51 am

Hey Mark,

I tried the GPU enable option under internal, switched to "TRUE," and then nothing still shows up under GPU acceleration even with a restart. The video tutorials I've watched tonight all have the graphics card show up there, and mine still has "no" as the only option.

I'm guessing that 14 just doesn't like my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 3000)...probably no one likes that card. But it worked just fine in 13 and in various MS versions I had years before.

Would you say that's probably it? I'm guessing my next step would be to call Magix tomorrow and talk them through the situation. If I have to get another graphics card, are there any that you all would recommend?

JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 21, 2016 at 2:04:56 am

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, same issue. In fact, the render of that 90-second clip hangs at 2% and the projected time jumps by 20-second increments towards infinity. I stopped the last one at 1 hour, with only 2% showing.

UGH! JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

Mark Barton
on Oct 21, 2016 at 4:44:21 am

You usually do not have an option to switch out a video card on a laptop, you are normally stuck with what is integrated on the system board since there are no expansion slots like there are on desktops. I did not think that GPU would work with VP13, so you say it showed up in the options there in the Video tab? I got better stability in VP14 when I removed some of the plugins that were not being used. I found my application extensions and started renaming the directories to hide them from VP14. The reason why was they did not work with VP14, but according to Process Explorer, vegas140.exe was maintaining a file handle to them. So now I just have Boris Red 5.5, BCC 9, Vegasaur 3, and NewBlue Titler Pro 4. I pulled out my VASST FASST apps, Production Assistant 2, ScatterShot 3D, and Timeline Tools since they do not work with VP14 yet.

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:59:19 pm

No, it didn't show up in 13 either, which makes me think that 14 shouldn't need GPU acceleration.

I spent about 40 minutes combing through the Magix site, which was seriously unhelpful. Called customer service 10 times over an hour and finally got someone who would not patch me over to tech support.

Then finally sent two emails to support@magix.net, and both were returned as undeliverable.

Then found a spot to fill in my issue and sent that off...hopefully someone will get back to me.

Has no one else in 14 had the same problems? JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Oct 21, 2016 at 4:21:07 pm

Try google: OpenCL support for Intel HD graphics cards !

Ole

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 21, 2016 at 6:00:29 pm

Thanks Ole! I did that and I'm not sure anything changed...

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 21, 2016 at 10:51:28 pm

Hi John,

John Parks @ "In fact, even with increasing RAM for preview from 200 to 4000 doesn't do anything.". If you haven't already, I would set the Dynamic RAM back to 200. In the test I made, going above 2000 started to slow down the render times. You might not see a huge difference in render time if set at 4000, but if you don't need it that high for Dynamic RAM preview, it will only hurt render times setting it really high. It supposed does better than v13, but it is not perfect and still has limitations.

Have you tried to start a new project with a fresh source media, maybe a minute or two long and test the render times? There may be something in your project, or in the source media of your project which the render is tripping on. A fresh project and source should avoid this. Also, you may want to reset Vegas and delete the cache, just to make sure there isn't something nasty stuck in there before making the fresh project test.

I'm not familiar with your laptop, does it have Intel Quick Sync Video? And, if so, is there an option for that in the Sony AVC render template? This might decrease render times.

Another option, which doesn't shine any enlightenment to address you question, is to use the Vegas2Handbrake script, which will DebugMode FrameServe your project out and render in Handbrake. Handbrake usually will give you better quality, a faster render and smaller file size......just a suggestion. I use this process for anything that goes to YouTube or PC for playback.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:14:31 pm

Hey George!

Thank you for your time--I returned all of those values and started a new project. It rendered in a decent amount of time--as long as there were no effects on anything.

If I add any Vegas effects--takes a little longer.

If I add New Blue effects that came with Vegas Pro 14--turns a 4 minute render of a 90-sec clip into over an hour. And I stopped it way before it got to 3%.

So I guess the next step is contacting New Blue to see what's up?

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:22:16 pm

Hi John,

Sounds like you may have found the culprit. I have read many problems with New Blue and Vegas 14. Good luck and hope you will update here if you gain a solution.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

John Parks
on Oct 24, 2016 at 6:20:56 pm

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your suggestions!

It turns out that while Vegas 14 is slower than 13 when it comes to rendering (with and without effects), the New Blue Vegas bundle seems to be the culprit. I was using the Saturation EQ (which is awesome), but it was pushing render times to literally 60 minutes for a 90-sec clip--and that's after I stopped the operation.

New Blue has been very helpful, but they were not able to identify anything that could help. So I'm guessing that Magix will release a patch for Vegas soon that addresses not only this (which seems common) but some of the other bugs as well.

JP

John W. Parks IV, D.M.A.
Professor of Percussion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]