FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vegas Pro 14 - Is the Toolbar still in Black and White?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois Blawat
Vegas Pro 14 - Is the Toolbar still in Black and White?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:32:04 pm
Last Edited By Francois Blawat on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:51:19 pm

I was just wondering if Magix has addressed the Icons appearing in Black and White? Have they indicated they are going to fix this including some of the icons that now appear below the timeline?

I am hoping that Magix will add-in the capability for end-users to customize the appearance of Vegas Pro going forward. I know this is a "new" version, but why are the Icons in Black and White now? What reasoning was behind this and why is there not a setting to bring back colors?

Just wondering.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: Vegas Pro 14 - Is the Toolbar still in Black and White?
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:19:58 pm

FYI, not all icons are black and white and I think they are not so bad, actually I don't see the problem.
Vegas team changed it because users wanted to see the "new icons", "dark interface" etc. (they wrote about it on the official forums).

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Oct 13, 2016 at 4:53:13 pm

The problem, is the fact they did not allow users to customize Vegas to how the person wants it. I prefer Color Icons and having a choice is far better in my opinion then just making them Grey or Black/White and leaving it at that. Give users the choice to pick what they want.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 13, 2016 at 5:54:40 pm

This was altered at the request of many a Vegas users....

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:25:11 pm

Hi Francois,

This is a complaint on my side too. I hate how it looks.
I have my idea why they did this: they wanted to achieve a "more modern look" inspired by the mess MS introduced in Windows 8. Magix just started that route. (Sorry if I hurt anyone)
This is just my guess and I would also welcome the old colorful icons back!
But there are other things, I think much more important than colors of the iconset.

Regarding the toolbars, I wish both (timeline and upper) toolbar to be fully customizable.
I mean the possibility of assignment ALL the buttons to any of the toolbars - This would add flexibility to the UI.
Also, I wish to be able to assign shortcut keys to ANY operation Vegas can do.
Say, when I want to mute/unmute an event, just press shift-ctrl-M (just an example!) instead of navigating menus.
I also would welcome a quick exit of pan/crop - effects dialog window. It is frequently uncomfortable (at least for me) to target and hit the small "X" button in the top-right corner - this would add some usability.

But these are new features, and I always prefer sort out issues with current features first, and implent new features only after there's no apparent problem in the software. (And I find this valid for any software, not just Vegas, including those I create for myself or others around me.)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:36:40 pm

Mark me down as another user who does NOT like the new look. There were changes requested to the colour icons to make them stand out better. I don't remember anyone asking for black and white. Sorry but IMO it looks ugly :(

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 13, 2016 at 7:42:56 pm

Thanks Mike, good to know I'm not alone ?
My best idea is to make it an option as it is with Vegas color scheme.
Who likes it uses it, who does not like, does not have to use it -> ultimate soultion, isn't it?

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 14, 2016 at 2:10:45 am

REALLY dislike the new GUI layout minus the colors. Looks like something from 1990, and hard to differentiate for those of us with "older" eyes.

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:14:56 am

The only thing is that i wished the timeline toolbar was fully customizable....

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:17:53 am

Mike, It was requested. But not as you put it saying black and white........

Film Maker & VFX Artist.

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:04:53 pm

Yep, that was main point - Customization is key especially since Vegas has been customable to an extent since Vegas 3 when I first started using it.

Just give US the users the choice to pick how WE like to work, not how the programmer(s) think we should work.

But László, I also agree this is lower on the list (of issues) but it still should be worked on and fixed when the next patch/fix build comes out.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 15, 2016 at 5:15:05 am

[Francois Blawat] "Just give US the users the choice to pick how WE like to work, not how the programmer(s) think we should work."

This is the key sentence!
I cannot be more agreed.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

James Ollick
on Oct 20, 2016 at 11:52:37 pm

I also do not like the icons all black, give me a choice. I rather have then look good in color.

James Ollick

Return to posts index

Russell Gough
on Nov 26, 2016 at 6:35:15 pm

Signed up to CC just to post here (although im sure I joined before 10 years ago..).

Just finally upgraded to 14 after being user since v5.

First thing i did was think SOMETHING'S WRONG! Prefs/uncheck use vegas color scheme--restart app..looks even more s***.
cp/system/advanced/turn off windows best performance turn on best looks
reload v14..still looks s*** in BW.

am SURE I must be doing something wrong for it to look so bad and unusable for me (using sony 4k tv as monitor the buttons are now indistinguishable from each other without squinting)

go online see what I am doing wrong.

find this thread

jaw drops when reads its DEFAULT and cant change it to a usable, comfortable, pro (ie functional-workflow-esque) look

Add me to any street protest or flash mob to persuade matrix to develop some advanced never-before-heard-of patch that enables users to customize their color scheme to how they want (has it ever been done before? ground breaking for sure!)
Add install button option to v14 such as :
"have you been using Sony Vegas for the last 10 years and are very comfortable with the color scheme and workflow"?
press NO to change to something completely different you will HAVE to get used to cos we aint changin' it for no-one
or press YES to combine your decade of experience and comfort with our new software features for the optimal combo!."

Return to posts index

Marc Rousseau
on Dec 18, 2016 at 5:41:26 am

Hey guys,

I just registered to CC too because of this topic.
As a Vegas 12 Pro user I really wanted to upgrade to v14. The version is faster and the added value of plugins for the suite is great - but the black undistinguishable toolbar icons prevent me from that, what a bummer in my workflow.

If there is any poll or up/downvote for this, lead me to this way.
Thank you!

Return to posts index

John Norton
on Dec 18, 2016 at 1:21:26 pm

Mark me down as another user who does NOT like the new look. There were changes requested to the colour icons to make them stand out better. I don't remember anyone asking for black and white. Sorry but IMO it looks ugly ☹

Thought i'd save some typing😊

Return to posts index

Marc Rousseau
on Dec 20, 2016 at 1:31:01 pm

I just checked in v12 and v14 and changed the toolbar PNG resource with Resource Hacker.
Unfortunately Vegas did not start due to license issues, seems the .exe is checksum validated ☹

Look here, it could be so easy guys:
http://imgur.com/a/TCvAu

MAGIX, please make an option for us, thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]