Deinterlacing in Vegas Pro 13

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Lindman
Deinterlacing in Vegas Pro 13
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:14:12 pm

Hey, everyone!

Title says it all.

I filmed a wedding with one of my "film" friends. All of his groom preparation footage he shot in deinterlaced. -_- (I thought he knew how to operate his camera)

I took the footage into Vegas, changed the field order to progressive scan, rendered my highlight film, but can still see some lines in his footage. What else can I do to make this footage look better?

Plugins or something?

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
Re: Deinterlacing in Vegas Pro 13
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:30:12 pm

Did you use: Interpolate fields

Return to posts index

Evan Lindman
on Oct 12, 2016 at 10:05:57 pm

Never used that before.

Just tried it, and it looks like it solved the problem. Is it used for motion blur in footage?

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:34:33 pm

Hi,

I assume you mistyped and the friend shot the wedding interlaced, not progressive.
If you set the media properties to "progressive", Vegas won't deinterlace it, becuase it thinks it is progressive.
Thus the lines a noticeable.
Set it to the correct field order: "upper field first".
So the deinterlaceing will be done by Vegas.
Another option is that you apply Yadif deinterlacer as mediaFX, this gives better deinterlace, than Vegas13 builtin (it is much slower as well). If you do this, no need to do another deinterlace by Vegas, so you can keep it flagged as progressive.

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Evan Lindman
on Oct 12, 2016 at 9:41:16 pm

Edit to my original post: I meant to say my friend shot in INTERLACED footage. Was a typo!

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that plugin a shot!

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 13, 2016 at 2:39:13 am

If you do try the the Yadif plug-in, remember that you have to set the Deinterlace method to "none".

wwaag

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 13, 2016 at 3:48:35 am

This is why I told to keep the progressive flag.
But that option would work too ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 13, 2016 at 10:18:16 am

Vegas needs a good De-interlacing plugin. Boris CC has one, but that's overkill for someone looking
for just this one feature.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 13, 2016 at 10:52:57 am

Steve, you're knocking on an open door ?
Vegas 14 has a new, adaptive deinterlacing method, which is just the same Yadif does.
And for the previous versions there's Yadif ;)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 14, 2016 at 10:31:44 am

I know that László, im not talking about that feature which is applied to everything so to speak, im talking about
having a bunch of events on the timeline and would like to de-interlace just one and two of them, then with an
effective de-interlacing plugin available, you would simply drag and drop it on the clip you desire.

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Wayne Waag
on Oct 14, 2016 at 3:23:38 pm

I use an Avisynth filter QTGMC, considered by many to be the best, and much better than Yadif (although Yadif is an option) and certainly better than those inside of Vegas. It does require installation of Avisynth and Virtualdub and a script to control the round-trip processing from Vegas and back. In the past, I've used a single-purpose script to do this but have recently created a GUI version that can easily accomplish this with just a few clicks. It adds the de-interlaced file as a Take to the original event. It should be available in the not too distant future since it's undergoing pretty much final testing. It also supports Deshaker for those interested in a freeware alternative to Mercalli.

wwaag

Return to posts index

László Kovács
on Oct 15, 2016 at 6:24:37 am

Hi Steve,
With all respect, let me argue a bit.
If the output is required to be progressive, and we have an interlaced footage,
why would it be better not deinterlacing that media as a whole, just one single event?
Say we have 3 footages: A,B,C.
A is interlaced, B,C are progressive, project properties are carefully set to avoid any deinterlaceing.

Let's edit a bit, and on the timeline we'll have the events trimmed from the footages:
B1|C3|B2|C1|A1|B3|C2|B4|C4

Say, that looks fine, except A1 shows the "lines" so we have to apply a deinterlace plugin.
Then later we need to add additional edits, and it becomes
B1|C2|B2|C1|A1|B3|C2|C4|B5|A2

Can there be any reason why A2 should not be deinterlaced? (It is interlaced because it's trimmed from "A" footage.)
So that's why I think it's better to deinterlace a media as a whole and it's OK, how it works now.
In Vegas, if you set the desired deinterlace method in project properties, B and C stay untouched as they are already progressive. Deinterlacing will be done only on events trimmed from A and this is done automatically, the editor does not have to drag a plugin on A1 nor A2.

(It's another question, that builtin deinterlacing was not the best, this is why I used to use Yadif.
But in Vegas14 there's an adaptive deinterlacing too.)

Best regards

László Kovács

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]