FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone, trying, liking, thinking about DaVinci Resolve?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Francis
Anyone, trying, liking, thinking about DaVinci Resolve?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 7:35:37 pm

Been considering moving on from MVP even though I purchased it. Just downloaded it, and man it has a ton of stuff!!!

Vegas is just SOOOOO long in the tooth and it's just the same crashes, the same clunkiness, the same crappy preview the same yada, yada, yada....

Is it really too much to ask for something to work well?

Xavier (Scott) Francis
Mind's Eye Audio/Video Productions

Return to posts index

George Dean
Re: Anyone, trying, liking, thinking about DaVinci Resolve?
on Oct 11, 2016 at 11:59:35 pm

Hi Scott,

I haven't moved completely to Resolve, but about 60% there. I will still be using Sony Vegas Pro 13 (build 453) for at least a while long. Resolve needs a few more update features, but by the time I fully understand it, most likely they will be the NLE of my choice. For sure I ill not be buying from Magix.

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

Steve Rhoden
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:27:00 am

Gentlemen, if i was moving from Vegas to another NLE, it certainly would not be DaVinci Resolve!

Steve Rhoden (Cow Leader)
Film Maker & VFX Artist.
Owner of Filmex Creative Media.
Samples of my Work and Company can be seen here:
http://www.facebook.com/FilmexCreativeMedia

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 12, 2016 at 12:36:22 am

What are your reasons, Steve? Why would you not choose DaVinci Resolve, and what would you choose?

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Angelo Mike
on Oct 16, 2016 at 8:01:54 pm

I'm interested in learning Resolve and want to see what it can do with color grading. But Vegas still fulfills all my needs, and Vegas 14 Pro Suite with Boris FX is a great fit for me. Just the chroma key plugins alone are amazing.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 16, 2016 at 9:05:59 pm

Their chroma key is really good.
I am just SOOOO tired of all the crashes and lack of anything new and usable in Vegas. It's getting to where getting some of the newer "looks" takes 10 steps for Vegas vs 5 with another editor, at least from what I am seeing. Like trying to use a couple Rampant Design overlays and such. It takes me two days just to re-encode for them to work with Vegas, and then on a fast system, it's like working with a security system camera on trying to make them work (5-10fps). In other NLE you drop them in and done. SO many thinks like this are just showing Vegas' "long in the tooth-ness."
2012-13 video card support, slower MP4 rendering than SVP 13....yada, yada, yada.
Just need something that acts like an editor that is forward thinking, hence my asking.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Vegas and have for the 8 versions and over a decade I have been using it, it is just frustrating to see it not maturing anymore.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 16, 2016 at 9:51:26 pm

Hi Scott,

That's pretty much what I think, although I haven't been using Vegas as long as you, with Sony v13 or Magix v14, when I put a V-Log clip in and apply a lut, Vegas goes to a craw. I do the same in Resolve 12.5.2 and it doesn't miss a beat. And, like you, I know Vegas better and like it better, but even with the learning curve of Resolve, my attraction to Vegas is Desolving!

Best Regards.....George

Return to posts index

August Taconi
on Oct 22, 2016 at 8:28:03 pm

Scott, just noticed your post about Vegas frustrations. As a longtime Vegas user, I too am frustrated. In light of recent developments with Vegas I have taken a look a DaVinci Resolve 12.5. As we know, great for color grading. Maybe not ready for prime time. I have just downloaded Grass Valley Edius 8. If you're not familiar with this editor, take a look. It's widely used by broadcasters across the US. It's history dates back to video hardware products made by Canopus and their editor named RV Rex later improved, an named Storm. I'm going to work with it for the next 30 days. Give it try if you haven't yet.

https://www.grassvalley.com/products/edius_pro_8

August
Biloxi, Missisippi

Return to posts index

Ole Kristiansen
on Oct 18, 2016 at 2:18:03 pm

Hi Angelo Mike !

Look for Goat's Eye View, if you want to learn about Davinci Resolve

https://www.youtube.com/user/goatseyeviewUK/videos

Return to posts index

Gavin Impett
on Oct 17, 2016 at 1:29:47 am

I bought the suite with an eye towards exiting towards the Edius/Resolve combo. Like others, the rendering/crashing of Vegas is rapidly moving me to the exit. Having to submit a support ticket to Boris just to register their product is the type of maze one has come to expect when working within Vegas.

That said, the preview window does seem to work a whole lot better than 13. 14 seems more stable. I haven't rendered yet, but I knew going in, that was going to be slow. Cutting in 14, finishing in Resolve is my planned route for the next year. My guess is folks such as myself who are considering an exit, are more likely to have bought the suite than the edit version simply because it is hard to justify the upgrade cost for Vegas by itself.

I'm familiar with node based editing, so Resolve doesn't scare me. For me it is going to come down to how well Boris works within Vegas, if they can fix the stability and improve rendering/gpu support, I'll keep buying.

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Oct 23, 2016 at 12:49:37 am

I tried it briefly.

Resolve would not recognise media I had previously used. It's as though it could not see it anymore. I couldn't figure out why.

I also have two identical cameras. It sees the footage of one, not the other. Go figure.

It does not support multicam, which is what I edit in mainly.

I did look at Edius. There are certain things it labours over that Vegas does in an instant. Editor colleagues of mine don't seem to have the crash-happy problems of Vegas. I really like its colour (white) balancing.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 23, 2016 at 2:12:07 am

How long ago did you try Davinci? Version 12 & 12.5 does multicam from my understanding. Seems like since 12 in it has matured quite a bit...

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Oct 25, 2016 at 4:53:36 am

I was using a 12 Beta! Checking it out now.

I do use John Rofrano's excellent Vasst Quadcam tool that comes with Ultimate S Pro 4.1 almost exclusively, so I will need a compelling reason to switch the Resolve. If Magix can get the video acceleration and rendering problems sorted in Vegas 14, I would upgrade. Right now, there's no compelling reason to drop $250 for something I already have.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, GTX570, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 12 (x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Oct 25, 2016 at 6:30:20 am

Uninstalled the beta, installed 12.5.2. Updated some project preferences for default projects and then quit resolve. Then the fun began. Resolve would not restart and I could not kill it in task manager. Says it is looking for control surface. Everything else on my system jammed up. I could start Chrome, but it would not finish loading. Windows would not even shutdown properly. This has happened twice so far. It's also spawning a lot of dpdecoder.exe processes. Looks like this is a known issue.

I did get it up and running again, now need to figure out why it is not seeing m2t files but has no problems with m2ts. Probably have to ingest them or something.

Just started Resolve again. It's now hanging on loading media page.

Not a very encouraging start.

Given I am on Windows 7 x63 Ultimate, looks like I have no choice but to go to Windows 8.x or 10 to use Resolve. Resolve o installation said the OS was okay, but recommended Windows 8.1 Pro or higher. Pass.

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:08:03 pm

After checking out Davinci Resolve and having similar issues, I have started my migration to Premiere.
I have been a Vegas user since version 6 or 7 and have used it very extensively. However, I can no longer deal with all the crashes, non-fixes, new bugs with or without the old bugs, slower render times in 14 vs 13, lack of ANYTHING new since 2012, poor preview quality and the list goes on...plus, if I have a client in they say, "is that old, the interface looks like a toy," ....sheesh

I will continue to use Vegas as I migrate, and I KNOW there are issues with Adobe stuff and I abhor the "renting' of software. However, I envision myself seeking employment that requires knowing and using the Adobe Suite in the future, and honestly, I need some third party FX and such (Rampant videos primarily) to work out of the box instead of the usual "workaround" issues in Vegas.

I wish I could stay, I hope that maybe MVP matures and actually gets better instead of window dressing.

That is my take on this whole thing, VERY disappointed for the most part with MVP14.

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:40:31 pm

I'm still learning Resolve 12.5.2, but during two months of learning, I have had zero issues, no crashes, no hangups, it runs smooth and predictable. I'm runnng Windows 7 64 bit.

Best Regards......George

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 25, 2016 at 2:47:37 pm

What is your rig? I have tried on a 12 core Mac Pro (2010) with 32GB of RAM SSD drives and a Saffire 7950 (3GB) video card, running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Also, on my Devils Canon i7 4790 with a Radeon R9 290 (4gb) SSD drives and 16GB ram.

Had crashes on both and stutter playback too.

One reason I went and bought a year's subscription to Adobe....

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

George Dean
on Oct 25, 2016 at 3:00:46 pm

Hi Scott,

Here are my systems specs......

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, overclocked 17%
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD \'C\' drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA working drive
Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 7 Professional
Vegas Pro 13
Resolve 12.5

Also, these specs are posted in my profile under 'About'

Best Regards.......George

Return to posts index

Scott Francis
on Oct 25, 2016 at 3:02:51 pm

Thanks!

Xavier (Scott) Francis

Return to posts index

Craig Meeks
on Nov 17, 2016 at 6:18:41 pm

Can I just say something very obvious here. Sony no longer owns Vegas. They ignored it for so long without any relevant updates. Magix JUST bought it so everyone is going to have to give them some time to address issues, and I am confident they are taking Vegas more seriously than Sony did.

I have the Vegas 14 suite and am having no issues (been using since 10.) It's still the fastest editing experience I've used.

For me, switching from Vegas to ANY NLE but Premiere, FCP, or Avid is just a waist. They are the industry standards.

If you're willing settle for Resolve, you might as well save your time and "settle" for Vegas lol

Craig Meeks
http://www.bluefortressmedia.com

Return to posts index

Nigel O'Neill
on Nov 18, 2016 at 12:20:38 pm

[Craig Meeks] "Magix JUST bought it so everyone is going to have to give them some time to address issues"

That sale occurred on May 20. If Magix doesn't pull its finger out and so something really positive fast, it's at high risk of disenchanting Vegas' current user base. Once we are gone, we are gone.

The reason why I have not purchased the v14 upgrade is that there has been no compelling reason to do so. For me, the greatest improvement was when Vegas when to V11. Since then it has been a bit *meh* in the version updates.

Vegas has been stable for me since v8. I just avoid enabling the video acceleration features.

I purchased a relatively high end CPU at the time, and performance has not been an issue for me, even if I do have a system I bought in 2009. The CPU has a passmark of 8488, which is still pretty competitive. If I want to breathe new life into my system, I'll replace all the disks with SSD's!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]